Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rate your kite questionnaire!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wilkinsbud

Since 27 Aug 2017
2 Posts

PostSun Aug 27, 17 10:09 am    Rate your kite questionnaire! Reply with quote

Hi guys! I'm trying to figure out how kites compare to one another based on some performance criteria, and I couldn't think of a better place to come ask for help! Below is a quick questionnaire about rating the performance of a kite you own or have used, and I would be very appreciative if you could take a minute to fill it out. Thanks in advance!

https://s.surveyplanet.com/Sylo6xJFb

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostSun Aug 27, 17 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

I took the survey and i think it was garbage. It was only a few questions with broad 1 To 10 rating? Anyway, it is going to vary so much. Like if you have not tried every kite how would you know the comparison? It might be a good survey for a professional kite tester who has tried every kite, but if you haven't I can't see it working at all to rate or categorize kites. Like maybe I think my kite rates a 10 in drifting but then I try another one that is way driftier and I would adjust that rating back to a 6.Maybe reach out to some magazine tests and see if you can get some info from them, that would be way more accurate than a simple random survey with the kiting public who have realistically only tried a few different kites.

wilkinsbud

Since 27 Aug 2017
2 Posts

PostSun Aug 27, 17 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for filling out the survey Scriffler. I didn't want to take too much of your time, so I tried to pick the fewest amount of questions that still let me get what I thought would be enough information.
I know someone's response will be biased based off how many kites they've used before, what their experience is, what they look for in a kite, and a lot of other stuff that is hard to quantify. But I'm hoping to somewhat account for the biases and, with enough survey testimonies, get to a point where the relative ratings can reflect the differences between two kites.
I appreciate the suggestion to hit up some magazine publishers, which is something I will definitely try!

K4L

Since 19 Jan 2009
483 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 27, 17 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

Not going to get any scientific info from the current format as already stated.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 27, 17 4:41 pm     Reply with quote

I've tested and reviewed kites for The Kiteboarder magazine.
We went to Baja for a week and had over 30 kites to test.
Each day it was windy I tested~ 5 kites. I spent about 30 minutes on each.
We filled out forms for each kite with tons of questions and comments.
After flying a few different kites - you pretty much know which kites can rip upwind, drift well, turn fast or slow, and which ones are dogs.

I can say that the magazine did a great job correlating the feedback and doing the write-ups.

They have a tendency to only publish reviews for the kites that were well received.

They don't publish reviews for kites that got bad reports - and there were a few (flysurfer, eclipse).

https://www.thekiteboarder.com/gear-reviews/

https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2014/01/2014-freeride-gear-review-meet-the-team/

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 28, 17 7:12 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I've tested and reviewed kites for The Kiteboarder magazine.
We went to Baja for a week and had over 30 kites to test.
Each day it was windy I tested~ 5 kites. I spent about 30 minutes on each.
We filled out forms for each kite with tons of questions and comments.
After flying a few different kites - you pretty much know which kites can rip upwind, drift well, turn fast or slow, and which ones are dogs.

I can say that the magazine did a great job correlating the feedback and doing the write-ups.

They have a tendency to only publish reviews for the kites that were well received.

They don't publish reviews for kites that got bad reports - and there were a few (flysurfer, eclipse).

https://www.thekiteboarder.com/gear-reviews/

https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2014/01/2014-freeride-gear-review-meet-the-team/

Was that your sense in this case also? (that they only published the positive)

I find that as well and have long ago discounted kite magazine reviews as they don't want to say anything bad about their sponsors. You end up having to aggressively read between the lines to get a sense of what they are saying. It's a challenge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: