Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Spare leash for Directional

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
LVDWD

Since 04 May 2009
103 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 28, 17 1:48 pm    Spare leash for Directional Reply with quote

Normally carry a spare leash to hook my board to if I get into a wreck or similar. Had a leash that was easy to disconnect one end of the leash from its attachment point on the harness and fairly easy to put back-lost it somewhere. Have plenty of other leashes but all have an end that are sort of easy to take off but almost impossible to put back especially on the water especially now as I have a rope type harness.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a leash suitable for that purpose or maybe a nifty alternative solution.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 28, 17 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

Slingshot leases are pretty easy to get in and out.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 28, 17 2:03 pm     Reply with quote

Hard to discern and or visualize what you are talking about. . .

tie a loop on the end of your surfboard with some type of rope and or braided rope. Old kite bridle rope works great. Easy to clip into and out of. I'm assuming that the connection of your leash to your harness probably will never be coming off? Older kite leash works great and there is some play (elastic) to most kite leashes.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed Jun 28, 17 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

When in dire straits out in the water with a downed kite you can always unclip your kite leash from the bar and snap it onto your board until you get your kite relaunched. Once the kite is flying switch the leash back onto your kitebar.

LVDWD

Since 04 May 2009
103 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 28, 17 3:14 pm     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

tie a loop on the end of your surfboard with some type of rope and or braided rope. Old kite bridle rope works great. Easy to clip into and out of. I'm assuming that the connection of your leash to your harness probably will never be coming off? Older kite leash works great and there is some play (elastic) to most kite leashes.

I have the rope on the board. Specifically when I have used the leash to attach the board then after everything is sorted out wreck wise I need to attach the end that was on the board back to the harness its hard if not impossible to do.

LVDWD

Since 04 May 2009
103 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 28, 17 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

LVDWD wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

I have the rope on the board. Specifically when I have used the leash to attach the board then after everything is sorted out wreck wise I need to attach the end that was on the board back to the harness its hard if not impossible to do.

Yes but potentially that is the only thing that is holding the kite at that point if you have pulled the chicken loop. Would not want to do that.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 28, 17 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

use a climbing carabiner...

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jun 28, 17 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

Or find an old key ring and hook it to the harness so you can clip the leash to something that stays open and is easy to find. You can always move it again later when things are sorted

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 28, 17 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

tie a loop on the end of your surfboard with some type of rope and or braided rope. Old kite bridle rope works great.

I use old steering line and make a loop attached to my leash plug, you want something that will break if too much tension.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 28, 17 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

There's lots of times you want to hold on to your board.... but both hands are busy - relaunching a kite in lite wind, self rescuing, helping out a buddy, excuse me while I light my spliff!

It's nice to have some sort of spare leash to clip to your board so you don't lose it.
And be able to unclip and clip both ends as needed.
A leash has a quick-release on one end that's almost impossible to put back together while lighting your spliff.

Build your own leash with brass clips - courtesy of NSI in Hood River.
You can go to their outlet in HR.
http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=94&idcategory=0

LVDWD

Since 04 May 2009
103 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 29, 17 11:31 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
There's lots of times you want to hold on to your board.... but both hands are busy - relaunching a kite in lite wind, self rescuing, helping out a buddy, excuse me while I light my spliff!

It's nice to have some sort of spare leash to clip to your board so you don't lose it.
And be able to unclip and clip both ends as needed.
A leash has a quick-release on one end that's almost impossible to put back together while lighting your spliff.

Build your own leash with brass clips - courtesy of NSI in Hood River.
You can go to their outlet in HR.
http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=94&idcategory=0

Thanks thats very similar to the one that I lost. And it looks as though it will do the job nicely.
And you are right there a times you want clip your board to something while you wrestle with a problem, not so sure that I like your phrase "lots of times" I would like to keep it to a minimum and hope for never (lol). Although I have come across boards in the water in particular directionals that I would have difficulty picking up and could clip my spare leash onto only to find that there is nowhere to clip it to.

Thanks for the info.

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 30, 17 7:01 am    be ready at alltimes Reply with quote

as the king of kitemares, be ready, "lots of times" could be for real and happens to all, experts as well as newbies, have a system for quickly and accurately clipping to a leash loop on your board with a spare. I use a 3" of STIFF thin cord for a leash loop that won't deflect when you're trying to clip to it as you keep your eyes on your erratically flying kite one handed or working it down one handed in stupid wind. Make sure there's not a little barb on the latch that will snag going on or especially coming off. Sometimes you have only one chance for a relaunch in shitty light wind and you better be ready to quickly unclip and get going, or enjoy swimming ( or hypothermia) especially if caught in the White Salmon voodoo current.

LVDWD

Since 04 May 2009
103 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 30, 17 10:07 am    Re: be ready at alltimes Reply with quote

Inflictor wrote:
as the king of kitemares, be ready, "lots of times" could be for real and happens to all, experts as well as newbies, have a system for quickly and accurately clipping to a leash loop on your board with a spare. I use a 3" of STIFF thin cord for a leash loop that won't deflect when you're trying to clip to it as you keep your eyes on your erratically flying kite one handed or working it down one handed in stupid wind. Make sure there's not a little barb on the latch that will snag going on or especially coming off. Sometimes you have only one chance for a relaunch in shitty light wind and you better be ready to quickly unclip and get going, or enjoy swimming ( or hypothermia) especially if caught in the White Salmon voodoo current.

Is it Victor the Inflictor? None of us want to aspire to be the king of kitemares but I am sure many of us are trying. And yes even after years on the water they do happen so thats why I continue to carry a spare leash for just such a situation. Generally no problem getting the leash onto the board, problem is getting back on to the harness nice and tidy when its all taken care of. Clipping it to the spreader bar is not a problem but my new harness has one of those new fangled rope lines and is a little harder and I am concerned that it may interfere with the chicken loop since it would be going to the same connection point. So was try trying to get it back onto a ring on the side of the harness which is not easy with the usual end of a leash.
Inflictor please explain your system a little better, I get the point about the loop on the board but what are you using to connect to it and when you are done with it where do you put that end.

As an aside for some entrepreneur there has to be a market for a better mousetrap.

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostFri Jun 30, 17 10:18 am    idea Reply with quote

It is someones big chance to become a hundred-aire!

Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: