Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Difference between 2017 SS Turbine and Rally?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
windjunkieFL

Since 17 Feb 2016
29 Posts

PostThu May 25, 17 8:13 am    Difference between 2017 SS Turbine and Rally? Reply with quote

Curious to know if anyone has noticed any worthwhile difference between the Rally and Turbine in the 2017 line of kites. Prior to SS making a full quiver of Turbine this year, I always found the Turbines to be an extension of the Rally lineup. Now they're making both in a full quiver, and it doesn't really make sense to me. They look identical, and other than the bridle attachment, I can't tell a difference.

Anyone with first hand experience on 2017 Rally vs. Turbine, I'd be curious to hear what you think.

Thanks!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu May 25, 17 11:59 am     Reply with quote

I had the same question recently as I made a switch from Rally to Turbine so here's my dos centavos.....

Turbines have a higher aspect ratio, tighter bridle and are geared towards more advanced riders experienced in pin-pointing their kite placement with speed. Last season I saw smaller sized Turbine / Rally-esque looking high aspect hybrids Slingshot was testing with wicked fast turning speed that had foilers doing some amazing things on so this seasons full line-up of Turbines seems to be the evolution towards the growing foiler market, especially in the smaller sizes. (Just my opinion.)

I've recently converted from a 14M Rally to 15M Turbine for my big kite option. Neither one of those big dogs turn fast but that's not what the size is about and they are definitely not for foiling. I wanted to boost in no wind instead of mowing the lawn. The first thing I noticed with the larger Turbine is it's physically lighter and floats clean in no wind waiting for input, compared to having to keep the Rally moving a bit. Better drift and wind range so if the wind shuts down it gives me more confidence I can get back to shore. I haven't had to relaunch it yet but I've heard the Rally is better at that, which makes sense, because of it's more user friendly aspect-ratio. Also, less weight means thinner. If you still tomahawk your kites on occasion the Turbine is probably not the right choice. For beginner/intermediate riders the durability and all around "does everything right" Rally is tough to beat especially when your boosting skills begin to get dialed in.

Since you're in Florida wind I would think the Turbine will get you more time on the water but I also ride with guys daily that swear nothing beats a Rally......so to each his own, size does matter and demo demo demo. Laughing

windjunkieFL

Since 17 Feb 2016
29 Posts

PostThu Jun 01, 17 6:58 am     Reply with quote

Sorry for a late response but just reading this now, thank you for your input. I've been on Velocities from Cabrinha for a few season and am thinking of going with a Turbine quiver to replace them soon. I'm a strictly hooked rider so wind range and big air a key to my riding style. Thanks again

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Jun 01, 17 7:33 am     Reply with quote

I hear good things about the Velocities and similar to Rally's and Turbines so hopefully there is a Slingshot rep in your area to demo the hangtime, range etc. Curious to know how it plays out for you since I'm always on the quest for the oxymoron...fast blimp. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: