Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Baja Bound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
idahor8rfan

Since 22 Apr 2010
50 Posts
Southern Idaho

PostThu Dec 13, 12 3:06 pm    Baja Bound Reply with quote

We are headed to Los Barriles late next week. Would like to cross the boarder on the 22nd or 23rd. Just wanted to see if anybody was headed down and might be interested in setting up a caravan.

Thanks.

Mark

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Dec 13, 12 4:29 pm     Reply with quote

IMHO, caravaning through Baja is not a good idea. You are a larger, easier target for anyone who you think you are protecting yourself from, by traveling in a group.

Go solo, and have fun.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Dec 13, 12 5:22 pm     Reply with quote

done both, had lots of friends do both for 17 years and never had a problem either way. both fine and fun, just different trips

scottjk

Since 28 Dec 2011
49 Posts

PostSat Dec 15, 12 9:52 am    Baja Travel Reply with quote

Just drove it two weeks ago. I personally think that travelling with one other vehicle is the way to go that way if you have any mechanical problems you have a backup. Ideally one vehicle should be 4x4 so if you get stuck in an arroyo while looking for a safe place to sleep they can pull you out... speaking from experience. Laughing

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Dec 15, 12 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

devils advocate alert

yes, it is nice to have another vehicle to help if there is a problem but it also doubles your chance of a problem, depending upon the other driver/rig combo Evil or Very Mad Laughing

novocaine

Since 23 Sep 2010
79 Posts
Kennewick, wa

PostFri Jan 04, 13 3:12 pm    i'll be there the 30th for a week. Reply with quote

flying down with some friends for a week jan 30 to feb 6. getting them some lessons with exotikite. maybe we'll see you down there!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Jan 04, 13 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
IMHO, caravaning through Baja is not a good idea. You are a larger, easier target for anyone who you think you are protecting yourself from, by traveling in a group.

Go solo, and have fun.

Its always good to travel with other people. Trust me, the shit can get REAL serious, REALLY quick when you are all alone. I have heard plenty of horror stories and even played one out in real life. The common denominator was that those people were traveling alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Jan 04, 13 8:08 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:

Its always good to travel with other people. Trust me, the shit can get REAL serious, REALLY quick when you are all alone. I have heard plenty of horror stories and even played one out in real life. The common denominator was that those people were traveling alone.

Tough to use "always" when it comes to Baja. Sometimes maybe, but always? I don't think so. Then again, you did tell me that I should TRUST you, so you must be right.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostSat Jan 05, 13 3:10 am     Reply with quote

Your right, as the saying goes.. "safety by yourself".

Wouldn't want friends around, banditos see big groups of people and say "there", over there" lets rob that big group of people.

dumbass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostSat Jan 05, 13 7:09 am     Reply with quote

Monkeybaiter, you seem to be quite the expert on Baja, how many trips over how many years would you say you've made to Baja?
Last edited by Pete on Sun Jan 06, 13 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun Jan 06, 13 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like Monkeybrains has pulled his head back in his shell. I see a difference between a group of people congregating in one place, and a group of people traveling together in caravans. I know of two caravans of people that I know that have been carjacked. I feel that the reason for this is that they were a larger target, why carjack one car, when you can get two in the same effort?

If you are camping along the way in desolate areas, that is a different discussion. I don't think that is such a great idea, unless you are far enough away from the paved road, that there is not quick easy access to you. If you do get far enough away from easy access, then going solo is fine.

Bottom line, there are no absolutes in Baja, some situations may be better to be alone, others times, it may be better to be in a group. I will still hold fast to my opinion that caravaning is giving folks a false sense of security, that is not borne in any real evidence to the positive.

The best way to do it is to travel with another vehicle, but keep a good distance between you, preferably several miles. Bring along a CB, and communicate that way. Works like a charm.

idahor8rfan

Since 22 Apr 2010
50 Posts
Southern Idaho

PostTue Jan 22, 13 8:35 am     Reply with quote

Ended up rolling down by ourselves, but if you don't meet people that are headed in your direction at the visa office you will soon begin to recognize other vehicles and people that are on the same path.
Incredible trip. We stayed almost a month in Los Barriles with a couple of days in La Ventana on the way in and the way out. Road was in good shape and we never felt threatened in any way by the Federal or Local police. I would recomend Baja to anyone that is looking for an easy way to find some warm weather, warm water and warm winds.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Jan 22, 13 10:32 am     Reply with quote

idahor8rfan wrote:
Ended up rolling down by ourselves, but if you don't meet people that are headed in your direction at the visa office you will soon begin to recognize other vehicles and people that are on the same path.
Incredible trip. We stayed almost a month in Los Barriles with a couple of days in La Ventana on the way in and the way out. Road was in good shape and we never felt threatened in any way by the Federal or Local police. I would recomend Baja to anyone that is looking for an easy way to find some warm weather, warm water and warm winds.

Young gun was telling me you guys scored something like 26 out of 30 days. Incredible.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Jan 22, 13 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Monkeybaiter, you seem to be quite the expert on Baja, how many trips over how many years would you say you've made to Baja?

Pete a few years ago Monkey posted a story about his trip down to MX. This might clear up what he's saying.

This post is from a few years ago and I have heard of plenty of people having no problems but just be cautious.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-6868.html

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 26, 13 5:24 am     Reply with quote

Random troubles will always happen, but in recent years crimes against foriegners have dropped some. Just finished driving the entire length of Hwy 1, and then took the ferry to Mazatlan. La Ventana was all 9M with a few "El Norte" 6M days. Never encountered anything but friendly, happy people. If you are afraid of travel, stay home.
Baja Nomad is a good forum to look through for all your questions:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: