Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

San Blas Islands Panama - January - Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
KitesofFury

Since 25 Jun 2007
23 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Sep 17, 12 9:22 am    San Blas Islands Panama - January - Questions Reply with quote

A few of us are planning a trip to the San Blas Islands in Panama this January and have a few questions:

1) What's the wind like that time of year? What size kites should we bring?

2) Where did you stay? Any recommendations?

3) What would you do differently if you were to go again?

4) What other things should we know before we go?

Thank you!

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Sep 17, 12 8:01 pm    sanblas Reply with quote

I was there a few years ago. I flew in from Panama City and have a few details for ya. As far as I know there is only one island that non natives can stay on (the rest are the equivalent of a reservation) and there is not much on the island. There is an air strip and a few buildings. You would have to fly in or boat in via a private carrier.

I was there only one afternoon and it was light. Go buy the biggest light wind kite and board. My buddy said it was usually like that.

I can provide you with a bit more info if you pm me and put you in contact with my buddy down there. Also, I would suggest you investigate Punta Chame and the coast in the area. I think you will have more wind there if thats all you going for.

The day we landed in sanblas we flew back to the city and drove out to Chame for a kite session in the late afternoon if that tells you anything.

cheers,

KitesofFury

Since 25 Jun 2007
23 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Sep 20, 12 11:21 am     Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the info. According to all of the kiters we've contacted in Panama January is the windy month and they get a lot of 10m days in San Blas. I'm just wondering if this is true or just a way to sell trips to tourists Smile

When Naish filmed in the San Blas it was definitely 10m

http://vimeo.com/44975797

Slaker

Since 29 Jul 2008
41 Posts

PostSat Sep 22, 12 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Don't know about san blas but Chame goes off that time of year. And there is a two tower cable: www.nitrocitypanama.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: