Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Plug for Cascade / buh bye board
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 21, 09 7:34 am    Plug for Cascade / buh bye board Reply with quote

So two weeks ago while driving back from Maryhill, my rocket box rips open (I left it unlocked with the key in) everything rips out including my surfboard.

Take the board immediately to Cascade / Gary in Mosier (on my way home.) Sadly I hand him my tattered board.

Two weeks later Gary hands me back the board which is painted to look like new (literally you couldn't tell it had been repaired.) Yesterday I take my fresh new board out into the waves, then lose it forever. Evil or Very Mad

Went through the washing machine and came up to see my kite getting trashed in the waves. Luckily the kite was fine despite getting pounded by 10 huge waves with me still attached (I wasn't going to ditch the kite just to save it, I was too far on the outside to feel comfortable with that) but my surfboard was long gone.

Body dragged for it for awhile but decided I didn't want to troll for whitey so I gave up.

Anyway lessons learned:
1) Keep your rocket box locked (duh)
2) Gary is the man for repairs
3) Becareful of kiting in outgoing currents in DOH waves
4) The difference between defining the day as "mellow big waves" and "near death experience" can be just one fall

Very Happy

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostMon Sep 21, 09 7:58 am     Reply with quote

I bought a custom 6'2" fish from Gary two years ago and I've had a blast on it surfing for two seasons. Good price for a good board.

I've never tried one of his kite specific surf boards but they look fun.

Sorry about your board man.

Andy

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Sep 21, 09 9:03 am    Re: Plug for Cascade / buh bye board Reply with quote

pkh wrote:

4) The difference between defining the day as "mellow big waves" and "near death experience" can be just one fall

Very Happy

That is why the ocean is always a whole new experience and level of respect when riding for me. The coast is probably the best riding fun I've ever had kiting......but it's not the same as knowing you have WA and OR borders to bounce off of. Sucks about the board but good to hear the waves didn't eat your canopy...or more.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Sep 21, 09 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

Mr. Swanson is the man... Way back in the day I used to ride his windsurfing boards. Gary was the guy who coined my nickname... Bam Bam!

Good to hear he is still in the business and taking care of his customers.

Jonny "Bam Bam" Malmberg

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Sep 21, 09 2:42 pm    leash Reply with quote

use a leash and you wont loose your board!!!!

SINISTAR

Since 31 Aug 2009
21 Posts

PostMon Sep 21, 09 2:46 pm    Re: leash Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
use a leash and you wont loose your board!!!!

THAT MUST BE A JOKE

IF WE CATCH YOU IN THE OCEAN WITH A BOARD LEASH
YOUR GONNA GET BEAT WITH IT BOZO

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Sep 21, 09 3:27 pm     Reply with quote

gary made me the sweetest 5'6" strapless quad glassed lighter than his kiteboards and heavier than his surfboards. The thing turns like nothing I have ever been on. It is not the best at streight line but that is not what I asked for. It is cool to sit down with a shapper and come up with a one off custom. And he put a leash plug in my skim on the cheap(what is up with the leah hate I almost never use them but I don't understand why people who make no other post about safty constantly jump on leashes)

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Sep 21, 09 3:27 pm     Reply with quote

You can use a leash while riding a reef break or something sketchy where you can't let go of your board even once, but in Oregon it's usually not worth it.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Sep 21, 09 3:43 pm    Re: Plug for Cascade / buh bye board Reply with quote

Sucks about your board man Sad next time use a gojo Wink

Seriously though - how do I get a hold of this Gary guy. One of my boards could use a repair!!! Hook me up with a contact!

pkh wrote:
So two weeks ago while driving back from Maryhill, my rocket box rips open (I left it unlocked with the key in) everything rips out including my surfboard.

Take the board immediately to Cascade / Gary in Mosier (on my way home.) Sadly I hand him my tattered board.

Two weeks later Gary hands me back the board which is painted to look like new (literally you couldn't tell it had been repaired.) Yesterday I take my fresh new board out into the waves, then lose it forever. Evil or Very Mad

Went through the washing machine and came up to see my kite getting trashed in the waves. Luckily the kite was fine despite getting pounded by 10 huge waves with me still attached (I wasn't going to ditch the kite just to save it, I was too far on the outside to feel comfortable with that) but my surfboard was long gone.

Body dragged for it for awhile but decided I didn't want to troll for whitey so I gave up.

Anyway lessons learned:
1) Keep your rocket box locked (duh)
2) Gary is the man for repairs
3) Becareful of kiting in outgoing currents in DOH waves

Very Happy

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Sep 21, 09 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

I understand when and why to use a leash. I just don't understand why so many people feel the need to advise others on their use yet never post on other safty issues like helmets rideing shallow water flying kites over head on land kook proff conectors. When I started kiteing their was not one person without a leash their were a few injuries but they were not common.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Sep 21, 09 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

just stop by cascade in mosier or call 541 478 3441

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostMon Sep 21, 09 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

Fuch the board
Big swell is no joke

A short leash 6'=/-, tied high ,in the middle of your back can't get enough momentum to paste you too hard

In big swell your board may be your only way of living!

going through it without anything will certainly dial you in

"Never go out in anything you wouldn't want to swim in ,in"

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue Sep 22, 09 2:55 am     Reply with quote

In this case it would have saved Phil 500 bucks or so and a long swim in. using a standard surfboard leash saves a lot of time chasing the board around and may save your board altogether. the bigger the waves the more water will be moving around. Almost all the guys here in Oz ride with a standard surfboard leash and I have heard of no injuries. a surfboard just doesnt fly back at you like a TT does.

its been my experience when kiting strapless having a leash, especially when its big, offers more safety than risk. IMO.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 22, 09 6:39 am     Reply with quote

Yah saw Ben Wilson wearing a leash in the most recent video, I guess that makes it legit! Wink

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Sep 22, 09 7:33 am     Reply with quote

Not too many rocky spots or reef breaks in OR - also not much of a shore pound in most of the spots

the board usually only goes 50ft - once a session maybe all the way to the beach (not a big deal to chase down) body surfing with the kite is also fun - swimming in against an outgoing tide or rip - yes you do want that board!

in really big stuff - I don't think I want to be attached to anything (the tow guys don't leash up) Laughing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostTue Sep 22, 09 8:59 am     Reply with quote

some do, some wear pfd's also ,
and even kookier dewds wear helmuts without a leash
but you are the expert at body draggin,
so I yield Cool
don't wear a leash if you can swim a mile
and then go the last minute under water ?!!! Razz

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Sep 22, 09 9:29 am     Reply with quote

touche'

though I wear the helmut to protect me from yur board Very Happy

what are the chances of two yellow boards lost at sea? high...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: