Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT... I Guess?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
$ociopath

Since 28 Nov 2007
523 Posts
Twilight Zone
Addicted

PostSun Dec 14, 08 6:12 pm    OT... I Guess? Reply with quote

For those of you who couldn't make it this was what you would see all through the Gorge today.

DSCN0481.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DSCN0481.JPG
 Filesize:  2.67 MB
 Downloaded:  306 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Dec 14, 08 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

I passed many-o domo'd vehicles today. Including a flipped over truck with it's windshied blown out.

Hard to understand when it's so cold and sticky....not the usual NW ice fest.

I think some folks are hell bent. Rolling Eyes

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Dec 15, 08 9:14 am     Reply with quote

In the gorge it was almost all Ford Explorers... Maybe the drivers need a bailout now too!

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Dec 15, 08 9:26 am     Reply with quote

I left my place at 5:30 AM to avoid the carnage. Roads were fine then - no flipped over cars. But by now I'm sure there is plenty to see.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 15, 08 11:12 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
In the gorge it was almost all Ford Explorers... Maybe the drivers need a bailout now too!

Good one Forrest! Very Happy

Many SUV drivers need to realize they're driving enclosed pickup trucks and the back should be weighted. Also steering is biased toward off-road use, so any correction on ice must be subtle or the 'death spiral' starts. There's a place where 35 straightens out with a slight incline on the way up to Meadows, and a few years ago we saw a record 5 weekends in a row with a SUV flipped on the side in the same spot. What was happening was drivers would slow for the curves, but accelerate on the straightaway while losing traction due to the incline. It didn't matter they were in 4WD, what mattered was that all the weight was over their front wheels. When they started to turn into the fishtail to correct it the tighter steering ratio caused overcompensation. A higher center of gravity probably didn't help either.

I traded my Cherokee for an S4 with Blizzaks and had nothing but fun since... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: