Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

TJ Border Crossing, Dec 14
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
gorgebob

Since 25 Jun 2007
259 Posts
Portland, OR
Shop Owner

PostWed Dec 10, 08 7:23 am    Speeding Reply with quote

I drove thru the TJ got pulled over for speeding in my 72 westfelia VW bus.
The speed limit is 15 kph leaving the boarder. Thats like 9mph. I was being passed by everyone and pulled over to let the COPs by and they pulled in behind me. They take travelers checks.

Portland
503-246-6646

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostWed Dec 10, 08 7:45 am     Reply with quote

Here's some more to "keep it in perspective"...

Kidnap suspect said to work for cartel
By Sandra Dibble
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

December 3, 2008

TIJUANA – A former municipal police officer and kidnapping suspect who was on Baja California's most-wanted list has been taken into custody, the Mexican military announced yesterday.
José Manuel García Galván, known as El Tiburón, or “the Shark,” was detained Monday along with two accomplices after being pulled over in a truck carrying automatic rifles, ammunition and bulletproof vests.

García was wanted on kidnapping charges by the Baja California Attorney General's Office, said a statement from the Second Military Zone in Tijuana. According to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, he worked as a crew leader for the Arellano Félix cartel.

García 's arrest is among several significant detentions announced in recent days by municipal, state and federal law enforcement agencies fighting to contain an unprecedented wave of violence in Tijuana that left nearly 210 people dead last month and seven others this month.

In many cases, victims have been tied to organized crime. After a series of incidents last weekend that left 37 dead, state investigators confirmed that 15 of the 21 identified victims had criminal records. Rommel Moreno Manjarrez, the attorney general, said Monday that many were small-time drug dealers.

“We have to recognize that Mexico is in a war,” Moreno said. “We need to rethink and renew strategies as far as prevention is concerned.”

Authorities have responded to the violence with a range of measures, from detentions of police officers to stepped-up patrols. In Rosarito Beach, a group of 100 federal police is expected to help patrol the city beginning this week.

“We believe that all of society, and all levels of government, all actors must be united against all this,” Alfonso Alvarez Juan, statewide head of the Business Coordinating Council, said yesterday.
García was a crew leader for the Arellano Félix cartel, headed by Fernando Sánchez Arellano, known as El Ingeniero (“the Engineer”), said the DEA's San Diego spokeswoman, Eileen Zeidler. The cartel is fighting off a challenge for control of the region from a former lieutenant, Eduardo García Simental, who law enforcement officials say has allied himself with the Sinaloa cartel.

Three suspects arrested Saturday by the Baja California State Preventive Police confessed to working for García Simental. The suspects, who include a former agent with the Baja California Attorney General's Office, have been linked to a number of incidents, including decapitations, the state's public safety secretary, Daniel de la Rosa, said yesterday.

Moreno said that seven automatic weapons captured in that arrest have been connected to a series of violent crimes, including recent shootouts in two Tijuana bars, Utopia and Banana Loca, that claimed 11 lives.

Bonetti

Since 29 Apr 2007
411 Posts
So. Cal./Oregon
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 10, 08 7:57 am     Reply with quote

I am lucky that one of my travel mates has talked himself out of jail without paying any bribes or getting anyone else involved, just by his wit and mastery of the Spanish language. (BTW, he went to jail for getting in a traffic accident). Take it upon yourself to learn, if you don't have one of your crew who does. It might just save your life.

Dam this whole thing makes me never want to go to mexico again!!!

Lets see:
-leave your good car at home
-leave your bikes home
-leave the good weed at home
-don't camp in a private location
-bring a interpreter
-bring "bear spray"
-plan for the worst and hope for the best

I think I'll just stay in the US!!
Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

http://www.Kitenaked.com
http://www.windcult.com
http://www.headhuntersurf.com/

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostWed Dec 10, 08 9:51 am     Reply with quote

good point, nak. I've been reading about the situation in TJ for journalists and others. its pretty dire. I wouldn't spend any time there.
the situation is not analogous, true, but the murder rates in some large american cities do (and have continuously in the past) met or exceeded those in TJ, or anywhere in mexico. the motivation for many of these american murders is drug and gang related. oh, and nak, the police might murder you if you're black and reach for your wallet... Confused
I'm not saying TJ is safer than DC. just to be clear.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Dec 10, 08 9:54 am     Reply with quote

I wonder how many crimes/murders go unreported? does TJ cook its crime stats so that it doesn't scare too many tourists away?

You know everything and anyone can be bought down there - its crooked as hell man.

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostWed Dec 10, 08 10:07 am     Reply with quote

I just heard an NPR report the other day about an unreported murder (in TJ).
locals were too scared to report it, and won't give their names when they do, and, journalists are too scared to give their names, too. that's f'ed.

from railgrab's article: “We have to recognize that Mexico is in a war,”
Shocked damn

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostWed Dec 10, 08 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

Googling 'mexico kidnapping' is more food for thought. Apparently, kidnapping Americans is a thriving business venture and is even more terrifying to me than the cartels protecting their ground. These kidnappers are very organized and tactical and target Americans for the larger ransom payouts. Beware of gangs dressed as police officers carrying rope and burlap sacks!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostThu Dec 11, 08 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

A mexican told me
"When America sneezes Mexico gets a cold"

jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 15, 08 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

Since I started this topic, I thought I'd let you all know how its gone (so far...) We're in Loretto, about 8 hours north of Barilles... We crossed the border at TJ about 9am on a Sunday morning. The border was EMPTY, with less than 4 cars in line to cross. We got waived through the flashing red/green light as if totally random (I think inspection is) and stopped right away at the immigration/ tourist visa office. Its on the right side about 25 feet past the flashing gate. It would be easy to miss if you weren't looking.

After we got our visas squared away, we took the 1D along the border and onto the toll road that runs from TJ to Ensenada. It cost about $6US payable at three toll booths. We were never stopped/ hassled/ hijacked/ or even slowed down between the border and Ensenada (other than the toll booths). We cruised until we got hungry and stopped at some roadside fish taco place and walked a bit in Ensenada near the piers. Then all the way to Catavina in the mountains...

Day two we drove from Catavina to Loretto. This part of the drive was desolate beyond belief, but beautiful with lots of cactus, granite boulders, volcanos, and other interesting stuff. We were both surprised by a lot of the stuff we saw out in the desert. Really beautiful.

Tomorrow we're doing the last day, from Loretto to La Paz, and down to Barilles. Can't wait for some wind and sun.

Based on the posts here and some of the other info that was posted, I just wanted to put out there a few of our thoughts from our drive. I imagine you could have bad luck or bad stuff could happen, but based on our experience:

1) The border crossing/ inspection is totally random. If you get stopped or not is up to a computer, not what you look like or are driving.

2) Getting stopped isn't that big a deal if you are compliant and don't have anything to hide. The "inspectors" are generally kids with guns, and don't really want to be inspecting... they just have to as part of their service. Smile, play gringo. Speaking spanish helps.

3) The Mexican people are very friendly and helpful if you ask. Otherwise, they are generally uninterested in what you're up to.

4) Hijackings, kidnappings, and all the bad stuff are few and far between... There is a whole lot of great stuff down here.

5) Staying out of TJ was a good idea. The other towns and places we've passed through have all been awesome, especially Santa Rosalia, Muleje, Loretto and Ensenada.

6) There are tons of gas stations every 30-40km on the transpeninsular, so you don't actually need to fill every chance you get. Most of the towns in Baja Norte had at least 2 (sometimes more) Pemex stations, and all of them had at least regular and diesel. The others had premium as well. The only stretch without gas was between Guerrero Negro and Santa Rosalia (200km), and there was a Pemex in Vizcano, but it was closed when we went through in the early AM.

7) Lots of people attract a lot of attention with their cars, so don't worry too much about yours. I was worried that our 2002 Ford Escape (white) with roof box would attract attention. Ha. There were a lot of people (both gringos and locals) with big, expensive, and noticeable cars. My favorite was the Ford F-350 Turbo Diesel (brand newish) pulling a 25"+ fifth wheel with boat on top and back drop to 4x4's... that's at least $70-100k on wheels, and there are many of this type (we've seen at least a dozen). All with Cali plates. Go figure.

Cool The transpeninsular is (so far, TJ-Loretto) completely paved, non-potholed, non-cliffside drop-offed, non-car-destroying a road as I have ever been on. It is similar to Hwy 141 from White Salmon to Glenwood in size and quality. There are dirt sections that will rip up your car, there haven't been any large potholes and nothing is high clearance. Much of the road seems recently repaved/ fixed, and the drive is pretty fast and smooth.

I'm sure that individual experiences can vary, but overall ours has been very good (so far). Hasta Luego!

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Dec 15, 08 9:34 pm     Reply with quote

Very glad to hear your trip is going well!!

Enjoy the sun Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: