Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

When is the Event Site open to kiting again?

previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 26, 08 7:50 pm    When is the Event Site open to kiting again? Reply with quote

Nate and I were just trying to remember what the date is for when the Event Site is back open to both Windsurfing and Kiteboarding access.

Is it after Labor Day Weekend, or is it October 1st?
I thought that remembered there being some discussions with the Port about allowing Kiting access at an earlier date than Oct 1st this Fall.

thanks
Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 26, 08 8:57 pm     Reply with quote

October 1 - April 30th, the event site is ours...

To Recap, here is the port's meeting minute excerpts showing how Mark and I take care of business: Smile

This is from the meeting minutes from April 17, 2008:
http://www.portofhoodriver.com/Minutes/08April.php

Quote:

Off-Season Review:
Event Site Kiteboarding (October 1 - April 30): Steve stated that the timeframe should change from October 1 through March 31, due to the conflicts he has seen this year in April. He said several CGKA members he talked to agreed that the winds are funky there and it's not a good place to launch or land as the lines come in over the grassy area. They offered personal support for a 6-month off-season period in the interest of safety to everyone.

I still would love to hear who Steve talked with...

And here is from the meeting minutes from the very next meeting on May 6th:
http://www.portofhoodriver.com/Minutes/08May.php

Quote:

2. PUBLIC COMMENT: Mark Barnes, a Columbia Gorge Kiteboarding Association (CGKA) board member, spoke to the Commission about kiting from the Event Site. Barnes stated that he would like the date extended past April 30 rather than decreasing the time when kiters are allowed to launch from the Event Site, and eventually he hoped there would be no restrictions. Barnes acknowledged there are "hot doggers" in both sports of kiting and windsurfing but that he had not seen any conflicts or problems and that both groups are coming together in support of water recreation. Barnes, who represents the Stevenson launch site, said Stevenson is bending over backwards to support CGKA for the economic gains the sport brings to that town and Hood River should be looking at the untapped monetary market that can be brought by improving amenities at existing launch points and building more sites. Forrest Rae, a CGKA board member who represents the Lyle launch site, spoke to the Commission to question the events that lead to the Waterfront Recreation Committee's recommendation to reduce the timeframe for the shared access at the Event Site. Rae read a letter which asked, in part, to review the events in question; request that equal funding and attention be given to kiters; and that the CGKA and CGWA (Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association) be represented equally on the Waterfront Recreation Committee. Barnes and Rae both thanked the Commission for being allowed an opportunity to speak and Duckwall thanked them for their comments.
c. Authorize Amendment to November 20, 2007 Policy Regarding Kiteboard Launching from the Event Site During the Shoulder Season of October 1 to April 30: No motion resulted at this time. Bohn asked for clarification and Duckwall responded the policy remains status quo if a motion is not entertained. Members of the audience opposed a unilateral decision and requested more input in order to address questions raised. As a result, there was consensus to direct staff to review the compliation of the committee to ensure fair representation; and McElwee solicited an invitation for staff to attend their board meetings.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Sep 10, 08 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

A great example of why we need to attend all meetings. We should work our way into every committee...

thanks for the find Forrest.

www.naishkites.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 12, 08 8:44 am     Reply with quote

Thank you both Mark and Forrest. Way to represent!
Thumb's Up

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSat Oct 11, 08 8:01 am     Reply with quote

Sure was nice to launch and land at OUR eventsite. Cool

www.naishkites.com

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostSat Oct 11, 08 10:21 am     Reply with quote

Lots more kites than windsurfers yesterday. I could see what a mess it would have been if more sailors had been out though. The wind is a bit iffy right at the launch in the space of 10 minutes i saw a couple of kites launched badly and dropped. If sailors had been launching downwind kites would have landed on them. To mix kites and sailors if it was busy would probably want the windsurfers at the west end and kites at the east end. That would break down though due to all the newb windsurfers who mess up and would end up downwind mixing with all the newb kiters messing up their launches. The experienced kiters and sailors would probably do just fine but since all the newb's from both sports go to the event site and sand bar something bad would probably happen pretty quickly. I think keeping kites out of the Event Site in the summer is doing the right thing unless the Port completely move the windsurfers to the new park Very Happy Question

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostThu Oct 16, 08 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Sure was nice to launch and land at OUR eventsite. Cool

Agreed Mark. I like setting up close and on the grass. Sunny and 12m/9m last Sunday afternoon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> CGKA All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: