Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Northern California Spots?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
garrett

Since 03 Mar 2005
11 Posts
Canada

PostFri May 02, 08 10:13 pm    Northern California Spots? Reply with quote

I am planning a trip into California with my family, I have spent some time in Southern and central Cali. I would now like to find some riding spots North of San Fran before I hit my favorite spots in Oregon. I have 3 weeks in June, any ideas are greatly appreciated. My favorite spots so far in Cali are Waddell, pismo and sherman. I am pretty comfy riding most areas.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSat May 03, 08 6:22 am     Reply with quote

Check out Clam Beach by McKinleyville. There's a local crew there, and you can drive and park on the beach. Use the Arcata Airport wind gauge as an indicator. The wind blows a bit onshore, but I've windsurfed there back in the 80's and it can be good. Also a flatwater alternative in Humboldt County is Big Lagoon. Great spot, but not as consistent and is best in spring. Great camping at Patrick's Point.

Let us know what you find!

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 03, 08 8:12 am     Reply with quote

I think I windsurfed this spot @ Eureka back in the day. Launched @ the camp ground at SW corner of the bay (Table Bluff park?). Wind was from the NW and it was pretty good.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&ll=40.713175,-124.234772&spn=0.120488,0.319977&z=12

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostSat May 03, 08 8:23 am     Reply with quote

i heard people kite at Stinson beach, just above SF, and nearby. I've surfed near there but never kited. It's pretty and there's a cool state park behind it with a beautiful drive.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSat May 03, 08 9:31 am     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:
I think I windsurfed this spot @ Eureka back in the day. Launched @ the camp ground at SW corner of the bay (Table Bluff park?). Wind was from the NW and it was pretty good.

Table Bluff's south of Eureka, whereas Clam Beach is north of both Eureka and Arcata. I've also windsurfed back in the day (80's and 90's) at an unnamed spot that is very near the farthest westward point of land in California, and possibly the windiest spot on the west coast - a place of unimaginable horrors - rocks, orcas, great whites, no help for hours, bull pastures and barbed wire, ranchers with guns, huge waves, and nothing downwind for over 25 miles, including roads. The last kiting frontier, not for the faint at heart, but potential for great rewards.

LP

Since 05 Apr 2007
115 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostSat May 03, 08 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

kyle.vh wrote:
i heard people kite at Stinson beach, just above SF, and nearby. I've surfed near there but never kited. It's pretty and there's a cool state park behind it with a beautiful drive.

I've had some amazing sessions at stinson, friendly glassy waves and no people. It was kinda light when I went but steady--even so it was a blast.
Just don't spend to much time swimming there!

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostSun May 04, 08 7:15 am     Reply with quote

big lagoon--can drive on the dune and kite the waves or flat water if good direction
large beach north of arcata--may be clam beach
crecent city has some good beaches to the west and north of town
and the redwoods!!

cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 04, 08 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Eel river mouth near Loleta (south of Eureka) looks like it has potential.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSun May 04, 08 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

wakeup wrote:
big lagoon--can drive on the dune

Wrong - You can drive on the beach at Clam Beach down to the Mad River mouth I beleive, but Big Lagoon is steep coarse sand beach and not legal to drive, unless something has drastically changed. Also, shorebreak there can be brutal. I went to school down there and lived, surfed, sailed etc. for 4-5 years, so felt compelled to make these corrections. Nice area if you hit it on the right conditions! Big Lagoon is great flat water.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: