Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

My first kite launch out of a boat!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue May 29, 07 7:05 pm    My first kite launch out of a boat! Reply with quote

Took the boat out today just west of Rooster. (launched at Camas.) I packed up my kite already rigged up (5th line safety pre-deployed) and inflated it with a CO2 cartridge. (Gotta say that one-pump is EXTREMELY helpful for this.) Had both the chicken loop and the 5th line attached to boat cleats for launch. Worked perfectly!

Had a great ride! Once I started heading downwind the wind got really fluky south of the big island there so I switched to a Glide and got another mile or two of down-winder in before the wind was just to fluky to ride.

Bringing the kite into the boat worked out real well, but no further riding would have been possible without a re-rig on dry ground.

Many thanks to my wife for following me in the boat and collecting me when I was done! Very Happy This has opened up a lot of spots I want to try!

Nak

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue May 29, 07 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

Mike,
Sounds awesome. We want pics!

www.naishkites.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue May 29, 07 9:14 pm     Reply with quote

This is all I have today... I know, pretty lame. Very Happy Tommorow maybe better!

P1010020 (Medium).JPG 

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostTue May 29, 07 9:50 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
This has opened up a lot of spots I want to try!

NICE!!!

I am in the process of looking for a boat for that same reason and for teaching...

I used to launch from boats in the midwest...but on 4-line 02 kites...
nice work man...

I would love to explore any uncharted spots and if you ever have an empty seat that would be killer.. or hopefully we find a good deal soon!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue May 29, 07 10:08 pm     Reply with quote

Good job - I'm 50/50 trying to keep the crap all organized for boat launches - bought the magic turbo launcher - can't say it is that much better - maybe a little bit better than carefully winding your bar

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue May 29, 07 10:45 pm     Reply with quote

Chanson, absolutely! I'd like to put together a couple of safaris this summer. Very Happy Maybe several boats and some jet skis... Today was about spending quality time with Joanne while still getting to kite. Worked out well!

Gman, I was thinking the Turbolauncher would be pretty cool? When I was letting the line of the bar it wanted to come of unevenly a couple of times. It seems like the turbolauncher would work better?

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue May 29, 07 11:12 pm    Re: My first kite launch out of a boat! Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Took the boat out today just west of Rooster. (launched at Camas.) I packed up my kite already rigged up (5th line safety pre-deployed) and inflated it with a CO2 cartridge. (Gotta say that one-pump is EXTREMELY helpful for this.) Had both the chicken loop and the 5th line attached to boat cleats for launch. Worked perfectly!
Nak

In the picture it looks like you have a line attached to the boat cleat that goes to the pump leash or something on the kite. Will you please tell us the procedure you used to launch the kite in the various steps it took? When you were done did your wife catch the kite and deflate it and then help with the lines? As an instructor I am always looking for a better way to land the kite into a boat or waverunner and deal with the lines so you can re-load without a rats nest in the bar/lines. This year I plan to have a bare bar on board to use for wrapping the lines and see if I can keep it all tidy.

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostWed May 30, 07 6:31 am     Reply with quote

We launch from boats all the time. Last year when my knee was blown I was the designated boat driver and since I refined this, I bet I have done 30 or more launches with no aborts.
The best way to keep your lines organized is to, starting from the kite, stuff/wind them into a five gallon bucket. Start far enough from the kite to allow you to pump the kite up without pulling the lines out of the bucket. Tie a rabbit ear ( the direction so that the bar end of the lines will pull the knot out) to the handle of the bucket so that when you are handling the whole thing in the boat you don't accidentally pull the bottom of the pile of line. Then just wind the lines into the bucket and throw the bar on top. The winding will naturally change direction a few times and stuff. Just go with what the lines want to do. To launch:
The driver or helper is holding the kite like you would carry it across the beach. (hold leading edge, concave up)
The kiter hooks in and then get the boat moving a little across the wind. Kiter bails into the water, put the boat in neutral.
The lines will pay out of the bucket and the rabbit ear should just pull out leaving the bucket in the boat. When they are out I have always been able to drag the kiter/stop the boat easily standing in the boat holding the kite. You should be arranged thus at this point: Kiter in water, lines straight and perpendicular to wind, boat driver standing with kite in launch position.
The boat will drift downwind into the perfect launch position...let er rip.

If you aren't going too far in the boat you can pump up on land.

Jeb

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostWed May 30, 07 6:33 am     Reply with quote

Recovery is opposite. I grab the kite and deflate it. Tie it up with something and then just wind the lines from the water directly back into the bucket. Have the kiter unhook so you don't have to pull him too. Then just go pick up the bum with the boat.

Jeb

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed May 30, 07 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the primer Jeb - that sounds like a smart system.

Question - when you are placing the lines the bucket are you going from a pre-wound bar (on the boat?) or do you have the bucket on land and lay it next to the kite with your lines laid out and back with the bar near the bucket?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 30, 07 7:35 am     Reply with quote

I still don't see a boat or a kite in that photo.... Very Happy (sorry dude) Smile

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 07 7:46 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Jeb! I think your way is better than what I did for going out in a boat with the goal of kiting. I was after a way to set up with minimal space requirements. (Small boat with other activities planned...) When I pack the kite it fits into the kite bag bar and all. That way I can stow the bag anywhere, but I'm ready to go if the opportunity presents itself. The extra five gallon bucket per kite, while certainly a better way to launch, wouldn't really work in my situation.

The biggest negative is the care needed when unwrapping the lines. It was easier when Joanne idled forward with the wind while I was unwinding. That slowed things down a bit. I think a turbolauncher would make it easier, but I've not tried one yet. Gman, what's your experience? You mentioned it was a little better? Also, this method requires a water relaunch to start, not a biggy for me as all of my kites relaunch pretty easily.

ShredJim, I'll try and get some photos of folding and launching process I used on here in the next few days. The other method Jeb posted here looks better for a dedicated kite trip though...

Nak

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed May 30, 07 7:48 am     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
I still don't see a boat or a kite in that photo.... Very Happy (sorry dude) Smile

No worries, I have the same problem still! Very Happy

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostWed May 30, 07 9:26 am     Reply with quote

There is some chatter today about boat launching on Kiteforum:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2339225&highlight=

I have always been interested in the art of self-launching kites in difficult conditions and places, and have posted a lot of ideas and pictures of my tinkered up projects on Kiteforum. A lot of the ideas and tools would apply to self-launching from a boat. If anyone is interested in viewing any of this material, just says so and I will look them up, and post the links... The "Drift-fly" launch....the "Turbo-bucket launch station"...multiple generations of tinkered up "Line-belaying" devices... the 100 foot long "pipe-launching machine".... reflections on "remote control" and "timed-release" kite launching devices...

Safety first! Although, keep in mind that, like vacations, the worst launches make the best stories...as long as you survive to tell them.

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostWed May 30, 07 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:

Question - when you are placing the lines the bucket are you going from a pre-wound bar (on the boat?) or do you have the bucket on land and lay it next to the kite with your lines laid out and back with the bar near the bucket?

I always set it up on land including pumping the kite because we have a short boat ride out of the wind shadow near shore. I haven't ever tried unwinding off the bar directly into the bucket. If it worked, that would be good for Nak's purposes. Unwinding in the water or all over the boat or whatever is pretty risky. When the water is 36 and you get someone suited up and ready to go it better work on the first try or the kiter gets too cold. Everything I do, I practiced on land first to make sure it would work reliably. I recommend that you do also! If off the bar into the bucket works, let me know. I will probably change to never unhooking the lines from the kite.

Jeb

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostThu May 31, 07 5:45 am     Reply with quote

So Nak that was you guys I saw as I drove to HR Tue. afternoon. West of Rooster I was catching the occasional glimpse through the trees. I was trying to figure out if that was a kite flying upside down near the boat. I thought someone might be getting rescued.

Nice Job on the launch Thumb's Up .

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jun 03, 07 9:29 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Rollo!

I had some messages asking how I rigged the kite for launching, so here are the pics.

Pic 1: I laid the kite out as shown and rigged the lines same as a downwind setup. Don't forget to set your bar up upside down... Take extra care to walk your lines out and hook them up properly as you may not have a chance to check them during the launch procedure. Triple check that everything is right.

Pic 1 - 3: Lay your lines across the inside of the kite as shown.

Pic 4 - 7: Roll up your kite.

Pic 8: Secure your kite with a strap.

Pic 9: I pre-deployed the fifth line so the kite would not power up as it drifted downwind for launch.

Pic 10: Carefully wind up your lines and secure the lines to the bar so they don't unravel.

Pic 11: Stow the kite and bar in a kite bag. Your kite is now rigged and ready for deployment.

To launch, I cleated off lines attached to the chicken loop and another to the fifth line. I inflated the kite on the bow of the boat, which was downwind. Once inflated I let the kite drift downwind wile unwinding the lines. Joanne idled the boat forward, towards the kite, which slowed down this process and made it much easier to unwind the lines cleanly.

I hooked the fifth line to my leash, hooked in and jumped off the boat. A quick water launch and I was riding!

I rig all of my kites this way now. Even for a beach launch it's so much easier than walking your lines out just prior to launch.

Nak

kite 11 (Medium).jpg 
   Kite 10 (Medium).jpg 
   kite 09 (Medium).jpg 
   kite 08 (Medium).jpg 
   kite 07 (Medium).jpg 
   kite 06 (Medium).jpg 
   kite 04 (Medium).jpg 
   Kite 03 (Medium).jpg 
   Kite 02 (Medium).jpg 
   Kite 01 (Medium).jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: