Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Near Death on The Spit ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSat May 26, 07 6:19 pm    Near Death on The Spit ??? Reply with quote

Somebody nearly died kiteboarding in Hood River. Not a good day for kiteboarding in Hood River.
Prayers for family and friends..

Last edited by bulae99 on Sun May 27, 07 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostSat May 26, 07 6:46 pm     Reply with quote

He was moving when he went through the parking lot, waved his right arm.

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSat May 26, 07 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

Has this been 100% confirmed? If so, please call me or contact CGKA directly.

Standby for confirmation by CGKA.

I am waiting until tomorrow to follow up with the family and friends of the man who at around 6pm+ this evening was retreived by the Hood River medic team down on the sandbar after reports from witnesses that he was dragged head first into the 2nd pile of wood at the E. outer end of the sandbar.

Please do not post speculations.

If you were a witness to this accident please contact CGKA by going to www.cgka.net so we can compile acurate data of the incident and post it.

Please put your thoughts and prayers toward this man. He will need them to heal.

Thank you,
Kirsten
CGKA member

Last edited by shredbarbie on Tue Sep 22, 09 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostSat May 26, 07 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

bulae99,
The guy was moving and talking so I think you should edit your post. Wait till we know the facts.

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSat May 26, 07 8:06 pm     Reply with quote

Bulae99,

Please edit your post and the title according to factual information.

Thanks,
Kirsten

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostSat May 26, 07 8:21 pm     Reply with quote

kiter is in the hospital but without any major injurys.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSat May 26, 07 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

ya, we seriously, do NOT want to start speculation that someone died kiting, that would be BAD

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSun May 27, 07 5:13 am    It's great to hear that he is alive Reply with quote

The speculation part happened when the 911 call went out and the fire and rescue team arrived on the spit.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun May 27, 07 7:24 am     Reply with quote

I didn't see the first part of how he went down, but he basically went head first into a pretty nasty looking stump. The kite powered up and went all the way through the power zone crash landing. Immediately after he was unconscious, when he woke up he went into seizures. Then for awhile he was incoherent and trashing around (took a few guys to hold him down.)

By the time the paramedics got there he was starting to talk more coherently but he kept repeating himself. Finally after a few more minutes he was able to answer simple questions, wiggle his toes, etc.. Like Trevor said we called the hospital and he was going to be okay.

It really shook up the people who were there, not a fun way to end a really fun day.

A HUGE shoutout goes to kiter/surgeon Garret, who got down there quick after it happened before any EMT guys and was able to make sure the guy got what he needed.

What conclusions do I have from this? Well we need to get the remaining wood off of the sandbar is one thing. I thought the wood piles would be fine where they are and people could avoid them, apparently not.

Other thing is I didn't see the guy riding but he was on a bigger 2002 kite. I used to have the type of kite he did and they really didn't depower for shit (especially when compared to newer C or bow kites.) We should just straight up ban old gear. Its unsafe... you wouldn't drive on the freeway in a Model-T would you?

When we were leaving there was a guy trying to teach is friend on another old big 2002 kite. They were upwind of all of the wood piles and they kept crashing the kite hard in the water. I was thinking: That guy is next in the stretcher.

Don't let friends go out without lessons on old gear that should be retired. It may cost them some extra money but its cheaper than a lost life.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 27, 07 9:17 am     Reply with quote

It's nice to have people like Garret around - great job. We should actively recruit new kiteboarders at all the hispitals in town Wink . If anyone could confirm that this guy is doing O.K. - that would help bring this incident to a close in a positive way. - Chris

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun May 27, 07 9:21 am     Reply with quote

From the other thread...

trevorsmith wrote:
kiter is doing well at hospital without any major injurys.

JNETTE

Since 02 Feb 2006
149 Posts
PORTLAND
Stoked

PostSun May 27, 07 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Garrett has the inside scoop and told me last night that the man "T" is ok.....no broken anything, which is completely amazing. I was onsight shortly after it happened and helped Garrett. Thanks to everyone who helped roll him out of there with the stretcher! It was great teamwork for a very bad accident. Garrett said he should go home today! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers "T" for a speedy recovery!

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSun May 27, 07 10:12 am     Reply with quote

In an odd case of irony, I have a small story to add.

The lady that called 911 first, her husband was almost the first person to go out on a stretcher. I was keeping my eye on them while I was rigging because they just looked like they needed some help. Took my eyes away for 5 minutes and looked back just in time to see the guy straight upwind of his wife and daughter who were trying to raise his kite into the air like they were trying to raise the St. Louis Arch, dead down wind.

I ran up and stopped them and just told them that we should start over a different way cause he was most certainly going to get hurt this way. Checked out how he'd rigged the kite, and it was mostly right, cept for having his lease folded in half at the end and pushed through one of the rings in the mickey mouse ears. I'm not sure what the goal was with that.

We broke his entire setup down, and I walked him through setting up properly, included attaching his 5th line properly. Prior it was connected directly to the kite, and the pig tail was just hanging free.

I walked his wife through launching and landing. Made him keep one hand on his quick release and we launched him with success. He had taken a lesson in Maui, and was able to fly the kite properly. I told him to go down wind of that log pile and body drag back and forth and after he'd done that for a few days then to take a second lesson to get up on the board.

The ironic part is that I don't know if they believed me that they could get messed up, and then ended up being witness to worst case scenario.

In addition to what PHK said, we need to get signs up that say "When in doubt, ask someone." People are going to get out there and play "Just the Tip" regardless of how dangerous it may be for them and us. We all should keep our eyes open for people who look like they're in need.

cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 27, 07 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
The ironic part is that I don't know if they believed me that they could get messed up

Often, when giving tips to new kiters I will point out the spot where I saw a guy get dragged up/over a 10' rock levee.
They usually pay more attention after that.

Glad to hear the guy is going to be all right.

-J.R.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: