Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sentry bar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jan 31, 23 8:31 pm    Sentry bar Reply with quote

Just wanted to see what the consensus was out there for this new bar. I personally hate it, cost & thinner lines are a real setback. Line extensions really suck for running out lines, always a tangle. I also think it doesn’t steer the as well as the compstick. I do like the way it feels in hand, but that’s it.

Are there any alternatives from another brand people are happy with????

Sorry slingy, you used to have the best bar…….

Kudos to SS for the V1.1 sentry, at 733.00 I’m thinking of getting 2!

ericvs

Since 05 Jul 2008
133 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Feb 07, 23 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

ah, that is too bad. I am stoked on the new bar. I like the grip, the auto untwist of the center lines is so good, you don't have to spend 1/2 your session twisting the chicken loop and I like the quick release small loop so I don't have to use rings on the slider rope.

I didn't think I would like the PU coated center lines, but it is actually pretty sick, doesn't give you a blister like those coated lines did in the past.

I don't use line extensions, cause those suck on every bar.

Bummer tho, hope you find a good new bar.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 07, 23 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

Slingshot kites need a bar with a low V. I've used the Airush n=bars with good success on my Slingy kites. Pepi has tham at Pure Stoke.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostWed Feb 08, 23 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

I like the new Sentry bar. IMO an improvement over Compstick overall. Line extensions give some flexibility in use case.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 20, 23 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the Sentry. I started on Compsticks... then I went to Sentinels because I wanted the below the bar center line swivel, but with the Sentry it takes care of everything for you. I don't even think about line twists... they're just gone. CL/Safety seems solid as well. Sentinel had a much nicer safety over the Compstick and the Sentry is better than both.

Downside is that you have to make sure you rig your kite with no line twists. You can't rig with a center line twist, or it'll stay there. And yeah, the costs of new bars is ridiculous. Other than that, though, I ended up with 3. I have every size and really like them.

Don't buy the used V1 bar if you see it on sale, get the V1.1. They made some changes that are nice. Only one I remember off hand, though, is the center line pass through was changed so that it doesn't bind up when you sheet at certain line angles. It's much smoother now.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 22, 23 1:27 pm    Bars Bars and More Bars... Reply with quote

At the risk of taking this thread OT - you did ask about non-SS bars tho

Some to consider based on your use case:

1. older SS bars - lots of them - mostly cheap - mostly good

2. NORTH NAVIGATOR BAR = Super high quality lines and butter simple chicken loop with easy reconnect but a bit chunky and heavy for some (like me) but my current bar that I TRUST 100%

3. Ocean Rodeo Bar = simple & clean design maybe too clean tho - I had one that was great with the EXCEPTION of the skinny bar feel, fixed with tennis wrap and more dangerously a mid river FAILURE as the safety line is not run thru and back like every other bar, it stops at a block tucked inside the design so you don't realize the risk until it's too late - ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS?

4. CORE SENSOR 3/PRO BARS: You may not love hearing this but there is simply no better feeling bar on the market. they are a bit expensive but seems like they are all getting up in price these days. Intuitive design, feels light and comfortable in your hands, ultra clean design and anti-twist. The ONLY sucky part of CORE bars is they are set up with the CORE mid-high V and not easily McGyver'd into a nice low V set up. I/m VERY INTERESTED in any solutions to this design limitation that are safe and functional.

5. Get a Cabrinha 2021 Discount Bar - I haven't used but priced well and design is typical
https://www.mackiteboarding.com/control-bars-kiteboarding/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=41&q=%272021%20cabrinha%20Overdrive%27&_kx=EvIl-3P8f0taS7cvxnjEHCTKKbvSTB8RSwvj-NmP2M0%3D.Xxfjzi

Good Luck!

May the BAR always be in your HANDS...

Mc

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 22, 23 3:37 pm    Re: Bars Bars and More Bars... Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
Get a Cabrinha 2021 Discount Bar[/b] - I haven't used but priced well and design is typical
https://www.mackiteboarding.com/control-bars-kiteboarding/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=41&q=%272021%20cabrinha%20Overdrive%27

Overdrive is a nice bar and works with Slingy kites. $300 is a good price... where were you three weeks ago when I paid $350 for one?? Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: