Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rooftop tents n the wind?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostThu Feb 02, 23 8:33 am    Rooftop tents n the wind? Reply with quote

I am considering a rooftop tent (roof nest falcon 2 or roof nest sparrow eye) for my SUV (Pilot). I plan to camp at windy spots (e.g. Rufus or the coast) this season. Yes, I know a van/trailer might be better, but this seems like a more affordable option.

Anyone have experience with these tents in the wind? I am a bit concerned about the canopy/pole design for these in strong winds.

Also, Google referenced a 17% reduction in gas mileage on average for RTT. Anyone know if that is accurate for their RTT? The falcon2 is slimmer, but heavier compared to the sparrow eye.

TIA, Mark

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostThu Feb 02, 23 9:31 am     Reply with quote

After investigating further it looks like the canopy is removable via zipper so it doesn’t flap in the wind.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 02, 23 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Mark, I have a CVT Shasta Summit and I dont have any problem in the wind. The fabric weight of the tent is very substantial, so it doesnt flap like a traditional tent. I run it on my '02 Tundra and '11 Outback and have noticed any significant mileage decrease.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 02, 23 9:41 am     Reply with quote

...not noticed

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Feb 03, 23 7:17 am     Reply with quote

those things look just as difficult to setup as a regular tent. true? def keeps you safe fr lions Wink

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 03, 23 8:21 am     Reply with quote

OG wrote:
those things look just as difficult to setup as a regular tent. true? def keeps you safe fr lions Wink

Takes me less than 15 minutes to have it setup and ready to sleep. Is it a pain? Kind of. Is it nicer than sleeping on the ground? Yes.

The only reason I would change this setup, is if I had a van or motorhome, which obviously is more $$.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostFri Feb 03, 23 9:57 am     Reply with quote

When I was in college, I was part of a roof rack study regarding the best way to carry your windsurf boards. We found that just bare roof racks could reduce your mileage by 5% (this was before the wing shaped aero bars came along). And a standard roof top box could cut mileage by 10-15%. And a pile of 4-5 windsurf boards could reduce mileage by 20-25% depending on their orientation.
I would guess that 17% figure is fairly accurate as long as the roof tent doesn't protrude too far in front of your windshield.

My bigger concern with the roof tents would be overloading the roof racks. I believe the standard Thule racks have a 165 lb load limit, and most factory roof racks are even less if you are attaching to factory rails.
Granted, I have seen plenty of cars driving around with roof tents on standard racks, but I have also seen a few cars with dented roofs from overloaded racks, and heard stories of lost loads from rack failures.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Feb 03, 23 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

I have never understood these roof tents. They need to be broken down every time you go anywhere. I like leaving my tent full of all my stuff so I don't have to drag with me when I go in to town or sailing.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
387 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 06, 23 8:50 am     Reply with quote

kitebot wrote:
I have never understood these roof tents. They need to be broken down every time you go anywhere. I like leaving my tent full of all my stuff so I don't have to drag with me when I go in to town or sailing.

Valid point. It is at times inconvenient, but only takes 10 minutes to pack up, so isnt a horrible experience.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostThu Feb 09, 23 8:52 am     Reply with quote

Just got back from a ~6000mile trip with our RTT rig and really happy with it. Honestly I was skeptical of the concept at first given we were going to be at windy spots and we already had space we could use for sleeping inside the van but its proven to be a super comfortable and convenient way to go. Our massive sponge of a dog can't ruin our bedding, we can leave the bed made and setup and take down in less than a minute, wind isn't much of an issue as long as you roll up any open window covers, great views and you aren't as bothered by stuff happening on the ground. I do think the clamshell design is extremely handy in harsher weather as you can point the hard roof into the wind and get some protection, plus all your latches are on one side. Ours is a CVT "mt hood" - it's actually exactly the same tent as the roof nest sparrow just re-branded, but the company is local and they were really great to work with. Even helped me mount it in their parking lot in bend using their forklift. I have seen some really cool double clamshell units that give you the option of unlatching only one side in windy conditions or both in good weather for more space.

BajaRTT
 BajaRTT  IMG_0306.jpeg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: