Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Drysuit recommendations
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 23, 22 9:39 am    Drysuit recommendations Reply with quote

I'm considering a drysuit for winter kiting, esp foiling . I've looked at the (formerly) Ocean Rodeo style with the jacket looking piece and the Kokatat style. Any recommendations from PNW crew (besides go to la ventana 😎)?

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 23, 22 11:31 am    Dress for the swim. Reply with quote

OR makes great drysuit. Bundle up underneath, thickest gloves you can handle and warm booties. A hood or warm hat.

You might not have much company out there, be prepared for a long swim. Water temps will be in the 40’s soon, all the way into April.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 23, 22 12:50 pm    drysuit Reply with quote

Had a Kokatat for years, great suit, best warranty, great company. Sold it and got a OR Heat, can't make a recommendation cuz I've never used it. Guess my cold water days are over. It's an XL and I'm thinking of selling it. I'm 6'2" 190 lbs and fits great. give me a call at the # below if you're interested. I'm in the Gorge, (Carson)

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 23, 22 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

I wing foil at Viento a lot all winter. I have perhaps 20 days in thus far. If it's blown'' I am goin', down to about 30 deg air temp, or so. The Ocean Rodeo suits are brilliant--(they are rebranded Stohlquists).. The over-jacket provides additional wind protection, and the placement of the zipper is super easy to do solo. The issue is I am not sure they are still being made. I am on season three on my OR Soul and just had the neck and wrist gaskets replaced, along with new socks. I get about 60 days in per season in the drysuit.

I wear two layers of thermals, thick wool socks, 7mm booties, 7mm soft scuba hood, and 3 mm NRS rafting gloves. I am tall, thin and prone to be cold. For kiting I used to use 5mm trigger mitts. Mystic makes a really nice pair of those. For gloves/mitts it's a trade off on flexibility vs warmth. Too thick and it messes with grip ---> swollen forearms. Much more of an issue wing/windsurf than kiting though.

I'd take a look at Mark's Heat, and if it fits buy it. Kokatat makes great suits with Patagonia-like customer service. I tried on another brand that was excellent quality, but the zipper is too far down the back and a royal pain to zip solo. Show stopper for me.

I prefer latex neck/wrist seals over the neoprene. The neo seals are more fragile in that they don't like to be stretched. They seal well, but latex seals a bit better. That said, if you use your suit replacing seals is part of the deal, and you can always have a different style put on, so I would not be too concerned about that. Immersion Research in HR does this as does Jerry at Express Dry Suit Repair in Beaverton. Both high quality options. I just had both wrists, neck, and new integrated socks put on by Jerry.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 23, 22 2:14 pm    drysuit Reply with quote

I bought a set of wrist and a neck gasket (latex) in case I didn't like the neoprene, but wimped out on the cold water. I replaced same on my Kokatat, came out great, pretty easy to do. From what I understand, the neo outlast the latex. I tended to tear the latex on my Kokatat every season, even using the protectant. Never had that problem with my old school drysuits that used neoprene, but for sure the latex is more waterproof in high speed crashes.

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 23, 22 3:00 pm    Re: drysuit Reply with quote

dangler wrote:
Had a Kokatat for years, great suit, best warranty, great company. Sold it and got a OR Heat, can't make a recommendation cuz I've never used it. Guess my cold water days are over. It's an XL and I'm thinking of selling it. I'm 6'2" 190 lbs and fits great. give me a call at the # below if you're interested. I'm in the Gorge, (Carson)

I'm more of a size Large otherwise I'd hit u up thx!

tonyobx

Since 12 Aug 2022
9 Posts
Raleigh & Waves, NC
Kook

PostFri Nov 25, 22 7:02 am     Reply with quote

I've got a Large OR Soul only used twice taking up space in my closet if that is of interest.
I just don't ride when it gets that cold.

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 25, 22 10:27 am     Reply with quote

tonyobx wrote:
I've got a Large OR Soul only used twice taking up space in my closet if that is of interest.
I just don't ride when it gets that cold.

Ya I'm interested. 36 oh-. Six fore fore-. Ate 4 too 7

Shoot me a text

Storm

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Nov 25, 22 10:57 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
The Ocean Rodeo suits are brilliant--(they are rebranded Stohlquists)..

Ocean Rodeo manufactured all their own suits until they sold their dry wear division to Mustang. I don't think they is any connection with Stohlquist unless that connection is from Mustang.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 25, 22 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

You my be correct. I was going off of comparing the two suits a few years ago and they were nearly identical.

rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostThu Jan 05, 23 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

Mustang Survival bought the Ocean Rodeo line of Drysuits. They had them on their website but now I don’t see them anymore. I ended with this suit after have 3 OR Soul suits. I’m pretty happy with it.
https://mustangsurvival.com/collections/mens-dry-suits/products/hudson-dry-suit-latex-msd201

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 05, 23 7:00 pm     Reply with quote

I had the ION Fuse Dry Suit , love the suite, highly recommend. But now I have the Ocean Rodeo, its even better !!!

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostMon Jan 23, 23 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

If you are a tall person, may want to buy one of these
https://harbourchandler.ca/maritime-surface-operations-suit/

they are the leftover stock from when Ocean Rodeo got out of drysuits. Developed for military use. An absolute steal at $299Cdn, or roughly ten bucks US. I am just bummed they sold out of my size.

steveski

Since 17 Aug 2020
27 Posts

PostTue Jan 24, 23 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

juandesooka wrote:
If you are a tall person, may want to buy one of these
https://harbourchandler.ca/maritime-surface-operations-suit/

they are the leftover stock from when Ocean Rodeo got out of drysuits. Developed for military use. An absolute steal at $299Cdn, or roughly ten bucks US. I am just bummed they sold out of my size.

Thanks for the heads up, I was in the market for a dry suit and had just started following this thread. Got one on order!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 25, 23 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

steveski wrote:
Got one on order!

How much was shipping (to Hood River)?

steveski

Since 17 Aug 2020
27 Posts

PostThu Jan 26, 23 9:22 am     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
steveski wrote:
Got one on order!

How much was shipping (to Hood River)?

I'm 4 hours north in Wenatchee, it was $35 CAD for shipping. So $252 USD shipped. Supposed to be delivered today.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jan 26, 23 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

When a leak occurs you have the option to get it repaired with a Kokatat. There are simply no repair services offered for other suits.

You can always get the rubber gaskets easily repaired but I am referring to other leaks in the body of the suit/socks etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: