Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How to setup the Liquid Force Medium Aspect Foil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
allenlight

Since 19 Jul 2008
43 Posts

PostSun Dec 04, 22 7:54 am    How to setup the Liquid Force Medium Aspect Foil? Reply with quote

So I've been foiling for a while now and have never been able to get a decent session on this foil. Not sure how to describe it, but it seems to take a lot of power to get any lift at all, and when it does go up it's really unstable. Oscillating up and down with the slightest amount of weight shift.

Ideally, I'd like it generate more lift earlier on and more gradually. I'm hoping this is just a matter of installing the appropriate shims and maybe locating the wings in the right positions on the fuselage. The wings came with a set of shims. One for the front and three different shims for the rear stabilizer. The rear shims are labeled 1.5 degree, 2.0 degree and 2.5 degree.

I've been running the wings with no shims at all and on the furthest ends of the fuselage so far. Any advice on which shims to use and where to place to the wings on the fuse to make this a more user friendly setup would be greatly appreciated.

For reference on my normal foiling setup; I'm very comfortable running this same mast and fuse with the LF Impulse 110 wing set (no shims) and I also have the Slingshot GW 633 setup which works great.

2022-12-04 09_45_45-foil_complete.jpg 
   2022-12-04 09_48_43-shims.jpg 

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 08, 22 9:47 pm     Reply with quote

Had it and I think I used the highest degree but Pepi at Pure Stoke would know for sure. I never really liked it though. Thruster and Impulse were a lot better. I wish the Thruster could have worked on the carbon fuselage. Liking the Phantasm 657 now

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Dec 08, 22 11:37 pm     Reply with quote

I’d love to hear about it, if you get it figured out. I haven’t.

It’s a pretty small wing. About 550 square cm, if I recall correctly. And it came out a while back. All the video I’ve seen had fairly light weight guys, who were already skilled foilers, making it work.

At 200 lb, wings in the 900 sq/cm range seem to be my sweet spot. Maybe one day I’ll figure the happy foil out. Or it’ll collect dust until the next swap meet.

I think there was a lot of spaghetti thrown at the walls in the rush to grab a chunk of the foil market.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 09, 22 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

macgruber wrote:
Had it and I think I used the highest degree but Pepi at Pure Stoke would know for sure. I never really liked it though. Thruster and Impulse were a lot better. I wish the Thruster could have worked on the carbon fuselage. Liking the Phantasm 657 now

I rode this set up for a while. It was great for speed and jumping, but not too turny.
I set mine up with the higher angled shim in the stabilizer and positioned the stabilizer in the shorter setting. These settings allowed the set up to carve tighter turns, but it could also make it feel quite squirrelly for someone who was not comfortable with smaller wings.
It definitely is not a foil for slow, carvy swell riding. This is definitely a point it and send it kit. I had some of my best jumping on this, but I might be careful about if the wings are strong enough for a lot of jumping.

Overall, this was a kit that you either loved it or you didn't.

www.Purestokesports.com

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Dec 17, 22 9:28 am    Re: How to setup the Liquid Force Medium Aspect Foil? Reply with quote

I'd go one extreme to the other (no shim to biggest shim).
No experience on this fuselage, but a well designed fuselage with no shim will have 0 angle on the stabilizer for optimal minimal drag. Once you start introducing angle on the stabilizer, the drag goes up. But you will also find that your lift goes up with more shim. If 2.5 is not enough, maybe try stacking shims, i.e 1.5+ 2.0 (with longer bolts if necessary).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaj4JqE2n5Y
I'd keep the spacing between the front of the front wing and the front of the rear wing to the maximum spacing if your are looking for stability.
Does this mount with a tuttle box or plate mount. If plate mount, you could try 1/4" movements in the plate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: