Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wing foil TSA baggage check

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostSat Dec 03, 22 1:21 pm    Wing foil TSA baggage check Reply with quote

Has anyone flown with a foil wing set (front wing and stab only) as ‘carry on?
Instead of checking it. Want to put it in my wing bag and avoid checking a bag.
Not sure it will make it through TSA scanner. Thanks!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 04, 22 7:11 am     Reply with quote

Pretty unlikely you'll get foil parts through security.

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
105 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue Dec 06, 22 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

I’ve had surf fins in my carry on. They didn’t care. Seems like the same thing

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 06, 22 4:48 pm     Reply with quote

I've carried surf fins too but wouldn't risk a foil wing. In my experience TSA folk focus on anomalous objects, but my concern would be that the foil might shield enough of the imagery to warrant a manual bag search. Even if you could educate them on what they're looking at, you're still elevating your chances of slowing down your flow.

I had experience developing a baggage scanner in the 90's (for InVision, founded by a medical imaging executive who lost his daughter in the Lockerby bombing). The earlier ones were tuned to resonant frequencies of items of concern, particularly C4. Modern scanners combine a number of CT modalities, but they still won't penetrate thick enough fiberglass or carbon fiber layups.

CAK86

Since 08 Aug 2015
51 Posts

PostWed Dec 07, 22 5:13 am     Reply with quote

I have flown with tools that are under 7" inches. Any tool longer than 7" was usually not allowed on a carryon. I imagine surf fins were allowed if they were under a certain size. I would not try to carry on leashes, wings, masts, kite bars, spreader bars etc. Unless you have time to get out of the TSA line and check them as regular baggage.

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
105 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostWed Dec 07, 22 6:59 am     Reply with quote

I suppose it may not be worth the risk but I’ve taken kite bars, skate boards, guitars. I’m not seeing the risk with a foil but I guess it could depend on the person you have looking at your bag.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Dec 07, 22 9:25 am     Reply with quote

I've had kite bars rejected.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Dec 07, 22 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

And I’ve traveled with kite bars twice on Alaska with no problem
So who knows, although best guess with a sharp edge wing would be no

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4198 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Dec 08, 22 12:55 am     Reply with quote

CAK86 wrote:
Unless you have time to get out of the TSA line and check them as regular baggage.

This.

Many of the objects here should be rejected here by the rules, especially carbon fiber knifes (Wings, stabs and masts) or clubs (fuselages.) Of course it's possible that the overworked TSA agent may miss your equipment (hell, they miss guns and knives) or even if they find it they may just let it through. But to think that you'll get through every time because you got lucky in the past is unrealistically optimistic.

You need to ask yourself what you will do if your equipment is denied clearance through TSA. You'll have four possible options: 1. You could throw the offending item in the trash. 2: You could go back to check in and check it IF you have the means to package it and have the time. You will get no "line cutting" priority. 3. You could use option 2 but use the mail. 4. You might think you could just try another line, but if you get caught your vacation will likely be a lot longer than you thought courtesy of the federal prison system.

BTW, I have over 30 years experience as an Airline Pilot, so I have a better idea than most about the range of possible TSA actions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: