Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ft Stevens 4th of July

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Bc6

Since 07 Sep 2018
26 Posts

PostTue Jun 28, 22 7:58 pm    Ft Stevens 4th of July Reply with quote

Friends,

Am camping Ft Stevens on the 4th of July. Never kited there before and am looking for the gouge. What wind sensor do you guys use?

Thanks in Advance- Steve

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 29, 22 6:47 am     Reply with quote

We all use iKitesurf.com but one of the best free sites is Windy.com

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 29, 22 8:41 am    Re: Ft Stevens 4th of July Reply with quote

Bc6 wrote:
Friends, What wind sensor do you guys use?

Steve: You're going to have a blast at Fort Stevens. Make sure to bring some bikes for the park as there is an extensive path system, and if it doesn't blow you'll have something to do beside pulling out your hair from the roots. Shocked Razz

Here are a couple of links. For Ft. Stevens, I actually prefer the governement site as it updates 4 times per hour vs the iwindsurf.com site.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=3CLO3

The iwindsurf coastal page has many sensors, some are iwindsurf "subscription" based.
Iwindsurf uses the Clatsop government sensor (the same link I just posted above), but it doesn't post the 4 times per hour, just once an hour.

Know this about Ft. Stevens, it is "working mans wind." Meaning it usually fills in later in the afternoon like 3 to 5 pm and blows late. That is not to say that it doesn't blow in the early afternoon, just more rare. And rarely will Ft. Stevens start with it being windy in the morning (windy enough to kite). And I'm talking about N to NW winds/Spring/summertime winds. S to SW winds are a different animal.

https://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=122&regionProductID=1&timeoffset=0

Happy 4th to us all!

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Jun 29, 22 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jun 29, 22 10:52 am     Reply with quote

Hey Steve, I'll be in Seaside through the 4th and beyond. Right now our forecast isn't looking epic through Tuesday. When the coastal says NW 10-15 you probably have to go to Manzo for kiteable wind. 10-15 with gusts to 20 in the afternoon is about 50/50 for Ft. Stevens. So on a day I really want to kite, if I don't see Clatsop hitting upper teens by 2pm I head south. 12M is an average size for bigger guys up North. I pack a 17M and a 7' surfboard for light days with good waves. There's always Jones. Jones, Manzo or anywhere inland can be good for escaping clouds and fog.

BayAreaKite

Since 18 Jul 2006
24 Posts

PostWed Jun 29, 22 9:11 pm     Reply with quote

Ft. Stevens looks pretty sweet, I've never been there but it looks like a fun possibility for a couple days midweek in August with the travel trailer before the kid goes back to school.

Bc6

Since 07 Sep 2018
26 Posts

PostThu Jun 30, 22 9:01 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the info. Wind slither feel free to pm me if you want I have a beer…….and kite first.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jul 01, 22 7:44 am     Reply with quote

Bc6 wrote:
Thanks to all for the info. Wind slither feel free to pm me if you want I have a beer…….and kite first.

Bc6: What a nice offer!

FYI, "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."

Wind Slither likes his Mexican lagers, but much prefers Anejo tequilas.

Forecast for Ft. Stevens isn't looking good for wind, unfortunately.

https://www.windsurforegon.com/oregon-north-coast

Looks like your only shot for kiting the ocean thru the 4th is Manzanita both today and tomorrow with current forecast posted below.

It might blow at Fort Stevens today or tomorrow, but Manzanita is a more sure bet on kiteable wind.

It is approximately 45 miles from Ft. Stevens to Manzanita. However, on really any weekend at the coast these days, that is going to be one big cluster F*ck of backed up stop-and-go traffic lines on Hwy 101--especially going thru Seaside on the 4th weekend.

The current forecast for the Northern waters is actually my favorite forecast for Manzanita for today (wind wise; the swell is SW direction, which is great, but very micro).

https://www.windsurforegon.com/oregon-north-coast

My favorite wind forecast for Manzanita are winds 10 to 15 kt with Gusts to 20kt. That usually equates to 7m to 10m wind. I say usually as it could also be nukie reefed-in/sheeted-in 7m or a 6m with a surfboard; it could also be mild 12m wind.

Today
N wind 10 to 15 kt. Gusts to 20 kt in the afternoon. wind waves N 3 ft at 5 seconds. SW swell 2 ft at 15 seconds.
Tonight
N wind 15 to 20 kt becoming 10 to 15 kt after midnight. Wind waves N 5 ft at 6 seconds. SW swell 2 ft at 15 seconds.
Saturday
N wind 15 kt with gusts to 20 kt. Wind waves N 3 ft at 5 seconds. SW swell 2 ft at 15 seconds.
Saturday Night
NW wind 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves NW 3 ft at 4 seconds. SW swell 2 ft at 15 seconds.
Sunday
NW wind 5 to 10 kt. Wind waves NW 2 ft at 4 seconds. SW swell 2 ft at 14 seconds.
Sunday Night
NW wind 5 kt. Wind waves NW 1 ft at 4 seconds. SW swell 2 ft at 14 seconds.
Monday
W wind 5 kt. Wind waves 2 ft. W swell 3 ft.
Tuesday
N wind 5 to 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft. W swell 4 ft.

Jones Beach east of Ft. Stevens by about 1 hr drive time might work this weekend and into the 4th?

Here are 3 different posts/threads to help you if you need to kite and Jones is your only possibility.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-32155.html

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-35960.html&highlight=jones+beach+forecast

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-35655.html&highlight=jones+beach+forecast

Good winds and be safe everyone this 4th weekend.

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostSat Jul 02, 22 9:05 am     Reply with quote

My experience is that at Ft Stevens I would use 3m bigger kite than at Manzanita on the same day.

thurmondmb

Since 10 Jul 2018
64 Posts

PostThu Jul 07, 22 12:05 pm     Reply with quote

so is next week looking good for the coast (at least to foil)? manza or ft stevens? looks like the gorge is gonna get hot next week

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jul 07, 22 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

thurmondmb wrote:
so is next week looking good for the coast (at least to foil)? manza or ft stevens? looks like the gorge is gonna get hot next week

Mon and Tues looking like Manzo is going to fire. But foiling with 7' NW swell??? Don't know about that. . .

thurmondmb

Since 10 Jul 2018
64 Posts

PostFri Jul 08, 22 5:28 am     Reply with quote

thanks. I was just mentioning foiling for fort stevens since it usually has less wind than manzo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: