Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New Kites = Better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostTue Jun 28, 22 7:33 pm    New Kites = Better? Reply with quote

Hey just wondering what the wisdom is here regarding the new gear. Recently kited the coast with my surfboard and a 6m kite on a 20-25kt day. Kite is from 2010, board is same age. Harness and lines a bit newer, and in good repair. Had a great day after not kiting for yrs, and maybe have used this stuff 6x in the last 5 yrs.

Is the newer gear that much better? Really thinking of the kite mostly and looking at the new ocean rodeo aluula(?sp) kites…but they are 3k up here!!! Will I be getting 3k more enjoyment using one of these, or something similar?

Thanks so much for your sage advice, and good wind and waves to you!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Jun 28, 22 9:22 pm    New Gear Reply with quote

Hey George!

The BEST answer to your question is simply = YES!

You will have to make your own value / quality choices. But no matter how you wrestle with those sirens luring your $ - the reality is that the gear exists and it is BETTER. Lots of folks ride all sorts of gear just like people ride all different bikes and drive lots of different cars.

All that said, if you have the health, wealth & freedom to kite and have the freedom to make your own independent decisions the real question is WHY DO YOU NOT WANT to be on the best gear you can get?

This is NOT your practice life - SEND IT - No one has ever regretted the switch to Quality.

My .02.

Cheers,

Mc

Last edited by McLovin on Fri Jul 01, 22 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostWed Jun 29, 22 5:49 am     Reply with quote

Oh yes McLovin, you have what I seek! Thanks for the reply and advice.

How do those kites compare with your old stuff? I hear lighter and stiffer frames, does this translate into better drift on a wave? How is the wind range compared to a generation before? I would be using 100% on the coast.

Very, very nice quiver man! Yes I’m envious.

Thanks again!

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 29, 22 5:57 am     Reply with quote

are you enjoying your time under kite? Than carry on. I spend my money on many things in life. Not just kiting.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Jun 29, 22 6:25 am     Reply with quote

“ This is NOT your practice life - SEND IT”

Great quote!

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed Jun 29, 22 8:46 am    My .02 cents Reply with quote

Yes, the gear is better than your 2010 gear as far as kites. Boards, not so much.

That said though, I don't think you need 2022 gear, my 2017 kites are better than my 2010 kites, and have not flown anything newer, but probably the brand and model of kites dictate that more than anything else.

And spending $3000 on a kite is probably going to have some diminishing returns. Is a $3000 kite six times better than a $500 used kite that is a few years old? Definitely not. If you have endless cash, then no problem! If not, then a few year old kite is better than your 12 year old kite, and won't break the bank.

I assume if you are riding the coast, then you are riding a directional, and surfboards have evolved quite a bit over the past 60 years, so I'm sure what you have is fine.

If you are riding a twin tip in the waves, then god help you.
Shocked

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jun 29, 22 9:04 am    Re: My .02 cents Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Yes, the gear is better than your 2010 gear as far as kites. Boards, not so much.

That said though, I don't think you need 2022 gear, my 2017 kites are better than my 2010 kites, and have not flown anything newer, but probably the brand and model of kites dictate that more than anything else.

And spending $3000 on a kite is probably going to have some diminishing returns. Is a $3000 kite six times better than a $500 used kite that is a few years old? Definitely not. If you have endless cash, then no problem! If not, then a few year old kite is better than your 12 year old kite, and won't break the bank.

I assume if you are riding the coast, then you are riding a directional, and surfboards have evolved quite a bit over the past 60 years, so I'm sure what you have is fine.

If you are riding a twin tip in the waves, then god help you.
Shocked

Pete is right on the $ with his assessment.

My additional 1 1/2 cents. . .

If you plan on picking kiting back up again go for the new purchase, but if you are only going to kite a few times within the next few years, then I'd milk what you have and buy something newer but used when you notice more wear and tear on the equipment.

I started out with a Twin Tip in '03 and got my first surfboard in '09 and have not looked back. I think I may have ridden my old TT twice since '09.

If the swell is like 1' or 2' then a TT can be fun in the ocean as it is more like a skate/terrain park. Especially if you're riding down in Manzanita. Otherwise get a directional for the ocean.

A TT with or without fins can be useful in terrain like the shallows in the late summer and fall at Rooster Rock east (upwind) of the Sand Island on Oregon side starting at BV or Dalton and doing the downwinder. A skimboard even better.

Note that I'm not a freestyle rider and have always preferred swell and waves.

Welcome back to the addiction.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 29, 22 10:22 am    More... Reply with quote

Hey George!

Lots of great replies... Pete's is on point.

Yes the new kites are dope, try them if/when you can. Also all the other kites are also pretty nice - my unsolicited advice get a few kites from 2020 or newer and certainly get a new Bar/Lines/Harness IMHO this is the last item I'd ever go out into the ocean with old stuff, just me unless you are "planning" to full release your kit and swim in?!?

Once you get gear you love, kiting will be that much more FUN - it should feel like an extension of your body and natural in every way.

I started on Rebels, moved to XR's which I still have and now the OR Aluula's all of them worked, all kept the stoke level high. You will see lots of smiling faces on SS, North's, Naish, Ozone, Flysurfer' and more less about the specific kite, the kite doesn't know how much you spent on it $$$. You owe it to yourself to find a deal and get good gear.

MORE DAYS ON THE WATER are MUCH MORE VALUABLE THAN great gear in the garage.

All that said once you settle on a kit - save your $ for the biggest kite 1st if you go down the OR Aluula road - I got my 14.5m first and it really is spectacular. If you ONLY were to have one such kite it SHOULD be your Biggest size.

WARNING: You are at risk of getting more once you feel how they fly. But its always more about TIME ON THE WATER vs. kit.

Hope that helps!! Stoke level 9000+

Mc

Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostWed Jun 29, 22 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

As an old kite gear enthusiast I would say new gear is more trustworthy but may not have flying characteristics that are better or worse than old gear. I was just out this weekend on a 2011 naish park which was great. However the one pump valves on old parks are kind of crap so I am often blowing up and checking and rechecking my gear before and after it gets used. The oldest good kite I have is a 2007 windwing rampage, weird amount of battens and kind of heavy but feels great and is fun. My favorite kite ever is my 2015 naish park 8m, I can't imagine a kite really being better than that, better made sure, but not better riding and when the one pumps start giving me problems I will remove the one pump system all together just to keep the kite alive.

The flip side of old gear is I lost some of my precious and limited time on the water last year from a leaky naish helix that I thought I had fixed but must have popped another leak once it was getting actually flown. I ended up giving that one away because I couldn't track down which of the TEN internal valves might be leaking Also I have bought old kites that I just haven't liked very much but I still enjoy fixing and trying them out. If you want peace of mind get something new or lightly used. There are really great old kites but they almost always require some TLC and there are sometimes duds too.

Jbloom

Since 30 Apr 2018
61 Posts

PostWed Jun 29, 22 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

Interesting find recently.
Have a a couple of friends that have used slingshot RPMs for many years.
They said that the 2012 and earlier flew better than the newer ones.
One was still flying a 2010 or 11. 6m and wanted to update So she demoed a 6m Slingshot RPX which was an update tho the more recent RPM.
We’ll what do you know , that when laid on top her 2010 rpm it was the exact size and panel layout. The bridles were the same length but had some new dohickys.
It also flew just like her old RPM.
She loved it!!
Newer isn’t always better😉

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 29, 22 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

Agree completely with Pete. Keep in mind kites have become a little more specialized. Depends if you want drift, boost, foiling crossover, or light wind. All brands will say they do everything well, but then they'll have 'wave' or 'freeride' lines, and some variance within each.

I rode Rebels, which changed in design about every other year. Some years were noticeably worse (less low end, heavier feel, slower, etc.) and then around 2012 we started saying "8m is the new 10m". When I started surfboarding they rode in the wrong place in the window for me so I switched to Neo and Pivot. Now the Pivots are awesome but I hate their new valves (I'm in the minority who like the octopus design) so am shopping for 2019's as my 2015's (which I LOVE) start to wear out.

Definitely demo (and borrow) stuff!!

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
259 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 29, 22 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

Short answer? Yes, kites are better after 12-13 years of improvements. That said, we all have our favorites that hold special memories, (I'm looking at you 08' Waroo and 06' Slingshot Fuel) Can you ride them? Absolutely. Should you...?

I've flown the Aluula Roam and it is pretty amazing! Honestly the perfect kite for what I want in a kite. Drift for the waves, great for foiling, very jumpable, tons of range and you could easily get away with an 8-10m quiver. Not quite game changing and the price tag is the only reason I don't have one yet. You could get 3-4 really nice kites for $3k.

Like others have said, depends on what you want your kites to do.

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostFri Jul 01, 22 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your help. I guess I’ll sniff around for a 6/7m wave kite from the last couple of years, and start the piggy bank for the aluula!

Definitely getting too old to have any practice life-messing around, haha!

Here’s to some wind and waves all along the coast for us all, or in the gorge if that’s your cup o tea!

Cheers

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jul 03, 22 9:46 am     Reply with quote

Fun reading everyone's responses here.

I think if you're seeking a nice wave on the coast or a big fat swell on the river, a newer kite isn't going to make your experience any better.

True, some kites drift better, some kites loop better, some kites boost better... but the same was true back in 2010.

If you like your kite and you trust it I say RIDE IT TILL IT SHREDS!!!

thurmondmb

Since 10 Jul 2018
64 Posts

PostWed Jul 06, 22 7:50 pm     Reply with quote

I met this guy in his mid 60's out on the coast who was rocking all different types of older kites and a quiver of busted up surfboards. It was 6/7m day at Manzanita with about 10ft rollers and huge waves. This dude was throwing down harder strapless than people with super nice gear. I mentioned something about it to him and he said "It's the indian, not the arrow".

I personally use 2018 kites I got a quiver of 4 for like a grand. They work fine. I'm still progressing and I'll ride them till they shred.

Windsports (well kiting and winging) are funny cause people hype the new gear and move onto something else. Which is great for us cheap arses who like to score deals Smile

I think the biggest thing you'll see with the newer surfboards is the rocker, but I bet you can find a great deal on here. (I actually have one I'm contemplating for selling for a good deal. Message me if you want details) Same with a newer-ish used kite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: