Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

self launch at stevenson?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostMon May 23, 22 2:22 pm    self launch at stevenson? Reply with quote

Hey, I was just wondering if self launching at Stevenson is an option now that they have made the waterfront improvements that I saw in another post. I often kite early so I am solo launching much of the time and I haven't been to Stevenson in a while because it was a tricky launch that needed a helper.

GRBrownski

Since 07 Feb 2022
2 Posts
Lake Oswego

PostTue May 24, 22 1:33 am     Reply with quote

I have drift launched there successfully prior to the 'remodel' on West wind. I haven't been to see the new setup yet.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue May 24, 22 8:17 am    Stevie Reply with quote

Hey Hatch,

As of yesterday hard to see much if anything different, I think they did some work to increase other than kiting access on those banks to the west but with the HIGH WATER they pretty much look the same. Maybe there is more to be revealed?

Stevie is still best with a launcher... and for anybody who might NOT know, not a good place unless you can VERY confidently land your kite on a 3ft BullsEYE.

Mc

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 22 8:42 am     Reply with quote

theres a few of us who have self launched at stevenson. I have done it many times. If you would like to see how its done, hit me or tak up at the beach. not going to promote it online but would be happy to share with you in person how we have done it there as well as the issues that you need to be aware of and obviously the consequences.
Keep in mind that stevenson is already considered an advanced kite launch. self launching can be performed here but it is a very advanced manuever.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 22 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Note tak and stringy use kites the size your kids fly at the beach. Not a normal human sized kite. Their stellar foiling skills let them use 3 and 4 meter kites.

Not a great place for self launching. Landing can be tricky.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 22 9:29 am    kite Reply with quote

If you are going to self launch at Stevie, drift launch! Land the same way. Go to the beach, land your kite in the water, go to safety and reel it in. Both run the risk of tangled lines and shitshow. I've done it dozens of times with a sucess rate of 70%. If its good, worthwhile, someone else will be there shortly.

Last edited by dangler on Fri May 27, 22 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 24, 22 9:31 am    kite Reply with quote

As a side note, I only flew adult sized kites as I never learned to foil. If you foil and fly baby kites you are in a different category

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue May 24, 22 9:56 am     Reply with quote

drift launch, I've been successful and feel its the safest way if your not a God like others !
Smile
With the boat ramp side providing a shadow, this allows for a drift launch that goes bad.
ALSO if your up to it, you can easily beach launch, easy easy beach launch down by the bridge, you'll need to part at bobs beach and walk down to the bridge, there is a small walking path right at the bridge, last time I was there. Now I'm not sure of the water level at the moment and the beach access, but this area has a large shallow area and beach most of the time.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue May 24, 22 11:20 am    Modified drift launch Reply with quote

You can do a couple safer modified drift launches too on stronger west winds. If light wind then the current can sometimes be stronger than the wind pushing your kite.

Attach and roll up your bar above then set the kite on the north end of the beach and pile some smooth river gravel on it, unwind your lines while walking south and then pull kite into water.

Second method is to use a fishing line release on the pump loop or bridle and then yank the kite free. This also works well at Rooster from a bush when it’s flooded

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/5144A8dYyPL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: