Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

11m UFO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat May 14, 22 8:47 am    11m UFO Reply with quote

I made a short video showing a light wind launch of the 11m UFO. This is on the beach in Cancun. The wind measured 4.5 to 6 mph (I did see a couple of lulls below 4 mph...) with my anemometer just prior to launching, but I'm sure the wind @ 3m was slightly higher. Note the flag hanging limply, the breeze on the cabana curtains, and the shadow of the toy kite flying above me. This is without doubt pretty light wind. I should have had my wife hold the anemometer beside me while I was launching... Regardless, you get the idea.

There are shallow sand bars at this location until you get past the breakers, so I had to have my board brought to me after I dragged out a bit. As soon as I started moving the kite felt quite strong with the apparent wind. I had to stop frequently the first day to clear the foil of seaweed, and the kite would just float in the air with what felt like almost no wind. I was always able to get up again, but one time I had to work the kite a LOT to get back up. I did water relaunch the kite once the next day with similar wind, and it was pretty darn easy to do. I can post a video of that as well If anyone is interested.

I'm not going to make any claims that this is the "ultimate" light wind kite, but I was the only kiter out for two days when the wind was crazy light, and there were other foilers out on days with a couple of knots more wind. I'd love to see it up at the same time as some other light wind kites just to see how the bottom end truly compares. I do know I really loved this kite in these winds. The kite just handled so well, with good turning speed and good speed through the window--given the size and low wind speed. It felt smaller in the way it flies than other light wind kites I've flown, while providing all the power I needed as long as it could fly. I will say without qualification that this is my favorite light wind foiling kite that I've ever flown.

https://youtu.be/woAb5jA2_ok

cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostSat May 14, 22 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

What do you think the comfortable top end is of the 11m? Say with a 633 or similar front wing?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun May 15, 22 9:30 am     Reply with quote

cdub25 wrote:
What do you think the comfortable top end is of the 11m? Say with a 633 or similar front wing?

No idea yet, the strongest wind I had it out in was maybe 10 - 11 mph? It was nowhere close to being at the top end of the kite, but I'd still probably switch to the 8m at around 12. My quiver will be 4-5-6-8-11.

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostSun May 15, 22 2:51 pm     Reply with quote

Any competing interests we should be aware of when considering said claims of amazingness? 😎😈

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun May 15, 22 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

beech wrote:
Any competing interests we should be aware of when considering said claims of amazingness? 😎😈
Laughing I paid retail for the kite and am a Lift affiliate. So yes, my interests are in competition with Slingshot. Very Happy BTW, my kite quiver prior to my UFOs were not Slingshot kites. I also still think those are great kites too, especially if you want to ride multiple disciplines. For foiling, I'm "all in" on the UFO.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon May 16, 22 12:00 pm    UFO Lite Reply with quote

Hey Nak,

Impressive control and confidence on that tight crowded beach... thought I saw a UFO with a white leading edge? Not sure if it was a prototype of some ultra light material?

Seems like the 11m could be a good candidate for ALUULA or some other "me-too" material - more evidence that not only are UFO's Alien REAL but they make one hell of a foil weapon.

Even tho I'm still saving foiling for another day - I REALLY appreciate all the pain & suffering all you guys have put in for years getting the gear totally dialed so I can come LATE to the PARTY Smile

Feels like another 3-5 years IMHO

Mc

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon May 16, 22 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

Hey McLovin! How are you doing these days?

Yeah, the V2 UFO is supposed to have a light gray leading edge, but some have the black LE. I read on Kiteforum that SS just ran out of the gray material. So some of the V2's have a gray LE, some black. My 8m has the gray LE. Weight is the same, so I don't really care. The LE, gray or black, is lighter than last year's--but it's not Aluula.

I did see Fred riding an Aluula prototype UFO down in Baja, and of course he made the kite seem magic. I heard though that the Aluula didn't really impart any benefits over the material they went with, so they passed on the Aluula. Talking about weight, it's interesting that I weighed the 8m, the 9m and the 11m. The 8m and the 9m came in under the SS advertised weight--that is the first time I've ever seen actual weight match advertised weight, let alone beat it. The 11m is ever so slightly heavier, but would still round to the advertised weight of 2.2 kg. (2.21 kg actual weight. I used a 2kg NIST certified reference weight to correct my scale and get an accurate reading.)

bob

Since 09 Mar 2007
137 Posts
Madison, Wi
Stoked

PostMon May 16, 22 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

23" bar with 27m lines? Long lines and wide bar help a ton for low end.
I'm about 215 and use my 23" bar on my 9m and even 7m at times if I just need power to get on the board. Love the new V2's.

bob

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon May 16, 22 4:30 pm     Reply with quote

bob wrote:
23" bar with 27m lines? Long lines and wide bar help a ton for low end.
I'm about 215 and use my 23" bar on my 9m and even 7m at times if I just need power to get on the board. Love the new V2's.

bob

Nope, I was using a 20" bar and 23m lines. I don't think it needs more, because I could get up if the kite was flying. Down looping wasn't an issue with the 23m lines either. But yeah, if the 8m or 9m would stay in the air in that light of wind 27m or 30m lines would probably get you up. I haven't tried the V2 8 or 9 in light winds, but the V1.1 9m didn't want to stay in the air below about 8 mph or so. I'm sure the V2 is better...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: