Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Getting started with the wing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 25, 22 6:22 am    Getting started with the wing Reply with quote

hey all,
i'm old to kiting, new to winging...
i've 'flown' my wing on land a few times, but have been hesitant to get in the water on a foil, for fear of getting stuck. i had a few questions, and will accept any advice you have.

1. How powered up would you recommend being on your first trip in the water? (light or lit)
2. It seems more controlled when i fly the wing slightly overhead, as opposed to sideways. Is this correct? Sideways, it seems like it would drag in the water a little, it also pulls pretty hard sideways.
3. Is it ok to launch from the event site with a wing and foil?
4. Is the best 'self rescue' technique for learning to be upwind of the (a) sandbar, so if you can't stay upwind, at least you float into something solid?
5. I have a large front wing, i'm assuming that would be ok to start with, then as i go faster, i will need a smaller (higher aspect - I think) wing? is that right?

anything else?
thanks in advance!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Apr 25, 22 7:47 am     Reply with quote

Just starting myself but...

1. Like kiting, lack of power is frustrating. Wings aren't scary, you can sheet out and dump power easily.
2. Yes, wing tip dipping is a leading rookie mistake
3. I think so? I've seen it a lot when I visit.
4. Don't know with small boards, I've been on a floater and I just schlog in.
5. Yes.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon Apr 25, 22 8:39 am     Reply with quote

I took it up last June...
1) My biggest mistake was being underpowered my first 3 sessions. When underpowered you tend to just drift downwind. Since you aren't on foil the first couple of sessions there is lots of drag.
2) I keep the kite at a 45% angle most of the time. When I get overpowered it goes above my head and I sheet out, instant power killer!
3 &4) The perfect place to learn is Luhr Jensen park just west of the event site. It's deep and you just drift down to the ES and do the walk of shame back to your start point. The Hook is shallow with flukey wind and a long ways to a downwind take out point.
5)I started on a floaty board 125, 3 weeks later went to 110, 2weeks later 95 which I'm still on. Going to a 75 this summer. These board are very easy to sell in the gorge.
As you improve go to a higher aspect foil for better glide.

Last edited by moondog on Tue Apr 26, 22 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 25, 22 9:00 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
I took it up last June...
1) My biggest mistake was being underpowered my first 3 sessions. When underpowered you tend to just drift downwind. Since you aren't on foil the first couple of sessions there is lots of drag.
2) I keep the kite at a 45% angle most of the time. When I get overpowered it goes above my head and I sheet out, instant power killer!
3 &4) The perfect place to learn is Lurh Jensen park just west of the event site. It's deep and you just drift down to the ES and do the walk of shame back to your start point. The Hook is shallow with flukey wind and a long ways to a downwind take out point.
5)I started on a floaty board 125, 3 weeks later went to 110, 2weeks later 95 which I'm still on. Going to a 75 this summer. These board are very easy to sell in the gorge.
As you improve go to a higher aspect foil for better glide.

Thank you both.
Funny, i have been to the event site a million times and never realized there is a park just up the river. I will try that next time. I suppose some of it is just to buck up and get in the water, and quit being such a chicken. haha

i do have a 110L inflatable foil board to start on. time to go!

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 25, 22 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Just remember to dress for the swim…because it is going to 90% swim to start!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 25, 22 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't tried this with a wing (which I just got) but windsurf-foiled with a crossover board last summer; since I expected to end up downwind, I parked at the hook and launched from there, then left my gear at either Luhr-Jensen or the Event Site and walked back to retrieve my van. No stress about returning to where I started, whatsoever, and got to socialize with essentially three different groups of folks in the process.

On an adjacent thread here I ask about wing size for the SF Bay Area, and the consensus is to learn fully powered, which makes sense because you can dump so much power with a wing. (I bought a 4m Raptor on sale at Big Winds and will likely start out on it at 3rd Ave this Friday/weekend given my new job schedule and the forecast).

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Apr 25, 22 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

Like the others said, it's better to be slightly overpowered rather than underpowered when learning since it is much easier to dump power (and not as scary) than with a kite.
The extra power also makes it easier to stand up when you have more upward pull in the wing and less likely to catch the wing tip and easier to see where you are going if you have enough power to fly the wing more horizontal (over your head) rather than vertical.
Launching at Luhr Jensen and ending at the Event Site is a good way to go since you get a longish run away from most of the kiters.

MissAkay

Since 30 Mar 2019
23 Posts

PostTue May 17, 22 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

Last fall I tried a 5m wing with an inflatable SUP that had a centerboard and had a difficult time managing. I'd get the wing positioned overhead and start moving downwind and then it felt like too much and so I dumped wind before I could veer upwind. Was the wing too big? What size wing do most start off with anyway?

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostThu May 26, 22 7:07 pm     Reply with quote

Rig big, half meter sizing between wings is HUGE. Not like kite foiling, equipment won’t do all the work, have to be ready to pump a lot & follow the swells….

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri May 27, 22 11:18 am     Reply with quote

MissAkay wrote:
Last fall I tried a 5m wing with an inflatable SUP that had a centerboard and had a difficult time managing. I'd get the wing positioned overhead and start moving downwind and then it felt like too much and so I dumped wind before I could veer upwind. Was the wing too big? What size wing do most start off with anyway?

Just to clarify on your specific question.
Winging on a SUP board - you only need enough wing/wind to get you moving. There is no need to be fully powered or overpowered, it will frustrate you and be exhausting.
The board does not need a lot of power to move and has a lot of drag at higher speeds.
Winging on a Foil board - you need to be well powered, to slightly over powered (as long as you can manage the wing) this is to power up the board fast enough to engage lift/drive from the foil. These boards have a ton of drag (like a tugboat) and need solid power to gain enough speed to lift up on the foil.

I believe you went out with way too much wind/wing than you could manage comfortably. Going back out on a lighter wind day (maybe barely whitecapping or less) and you will have a better chance of controlling the wing and learning how to power up and maneuver the board better.

www.Purestokesports.com

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 29, 22 6:50 pm    wing Reply with quote

Good advice from Pepi. I would add- I spent one day on a SUP, kinda felt it was enough, a floaty wingboard with a large foil moves thru the water easier, maintains your position better, and even tho you're not getting up on foil you move thru the water so much easier. As well as the practice of getting to your feet on a foil board. Good luck1 (and final tip, for getting to your feet, make sure you get your toes under you, if your feet are flat with your toes pointed back, its tough.)

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 31, 22 5:24 am     Reply with quote

what about foot straps for starting out? use them? ditch them?
thanks again!

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
106 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue May 31, 22 8:06 am     Reply with quote

When learning to foil with a kite and now a wing, I’ve always felt the need to adjust my feet to find the perfect balance point. I feel like straps would be very restrictive. Especially for winging, I don’t see any advantage to using straps.

MissAkay

Since 30 Mar 2019
23 Posts

PostThu Jun 02, 22 6:04 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful info about wings n boards, Pepi and Dangler. I really appreciate it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: