Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lot D (The Ponds)
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostSat Nov 30, 19 7:09 pm    Lot D (The Ponds) Reply with quote

Do very many people kite Lot D at Fort Stevens during the colder months (late November-March)? I was out there riding solo for three hours today and was surprised that no one else showed up. Too much tryptophan from all the turkey?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Dec 02, 19 10:30 am    Re: Lot D (The Ponds) Reply with quote

Marcus O wrote:
Do very many people kite Lot D at Fort Stevens during the colder months (late November-March)? I was out there riding solo for three hours today and was surprised that no one else showed up. Too much tryptophan from all the turkey?

Marcus O: Glad you got a Turkey session in! All speculation on my part, but I think that less people go to the Ponds these days for a # of reasons. More people are foiling, less people are riding TT's and skim boards.

The Ponds can be magical, but quite the haul for a flat water session, unless you live nearby.

The Ponds are a great alternative if it is too windy (with east winds) around the western part of the gorge.

I don't foil, but I also think that the Ponds area is too shallow for foiling unless one is riding right at slack tide and or more out into the bay/mouth of the Columbia.

And yes, the temps do weed out the weak and those less tolerant of the cold.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 02, 19 1:58 pm    Re: Lot D (The Ponds) Reply with quote

OK I'm interested - bit of a drive but for winds as STEADY as these...sounds FUN

bring back the TT Thumb's Up

Mc

2019-12-02_13-52-00.png 

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostMon Dec 02, 19 3:26 pm    Re: Lot D (The Ponds) Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Marcus O wrote:

Marcus O: Glad you got a Turkey session in! All speculation on my part, but I think that less people go to the Ponds these days for a # of reasons. More people are foiling, less people are riding TT's and skim boards.

The Ponds can be magical, but quite the haul for a flat water session, unless you live nearby.

The Ponds are a great alternative if it is too windy (with east winds) around the western part of the gorge.

I don't foil, but I also think that the Ponds area is too shallow for foiling unless one is riding right at slack tide and or more out into the bay/mouth of the Columbia.

Yeah that’s kind of what I figured. It didn’t seem like there were any hazards that would have kept people away. Looks like the wind will just blow you down into the grass if things go bad. I live in Portland and Rooster is getting a bit risky with combined air/water temps being below 100 now. I don’t really like to bend the 50/50 rule unless it’s a spot that’s shallow or where you’ll just blow back towards land. To me it’s totally worth the day trip to the coast to snag a sweet bonus session during winter. Do you know if it’s safe to ride a bit outside of The Ponds or is that asking for an unwanted trip towards the bar?

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostMon Dec 02, 19 3:38 pm    Re: Lot D (The Ponds) Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
OK I'm interested - bit of a drive but for winds as STEADY as these...sounds FUN

bring back the TT Thumb's Up

Mc

Yeah dude it was like a blow dryer when I was out there last Saturday!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Dec 02, 19 3:45 pm    Re: Lot D (The Ponds) Reply with quote

Marcus O wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
Marcus O wrote:

Do you know if it’s safe to ride a bit outside of The Ponds or is that asking for an unwanted trip towards the bar?

The bar is bad news. Sure you can go out into those waters, but if you have a breakdown, drop your kite (especially during the ebb tide) . . . etc you're going out to seas towards Hawaii and Japan.

It think there is a post somewhere in this forum about a windsurfer that broke down in the mouth/bar and barely survived to tell his tale.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostMon Dec 02, 19 5:10 pm    Re: Lot D (The Ponds) Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Marcus O wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
Marcus O wrote:

Do you know if it’s safe to ride a bit outside of The Ponds or is that asking for an unwanted trip towards the bar?

The bar is bad news. Sure you can go out into those waters, but if you have a breakdown, drop your kite (especially during the ebb tide) . . . etc you're going out to seas towards Hawaii and Japan.

It think there is a post somewhere in this forum about a windsurfer that broke down in the mouth/bar and barely survived to tell his tale.

I wouldn't mess around with anything on the north side. This is the area I was referring to. I’ve heard there can be wicked strong currents but wasn’t sure if that’s just on the north side or also around the outer portion of the lagoon. I ended up launching off the east end of the beach since the tide was flooding and I wanted to be sure I'd have a spot to land my kite when I was done. Seemed fine riding there but like I said the tide was inbound.

Ponds.png 

Saildoogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
77 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostMon Dec 02, 19 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

I kited off the beach on the north side right by the ponds on a easterly last year in November. Did a few long upwind runs with some nice runs down wind. I ended up self landing on that little point between the river and the ponds.
Breeze was very steady with some small chop.

Bill C

Since 15 Sep 2005
202 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Dec 03, 19 4:53 am     Reply with quote

I windsurfed back in the day on the north side with a NW wind and ebb tide thinking it would be fun 'gorge effect'. I lasted about 4 tacks before realizing the water moved with such mass and power, it was too much risk.

We packed up and went to the jetty.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Dec 03, 19 1:42 pm    Re: Lot D (The Ponds) Reply with quote

Marcus O wrote:
. . .

I wouldn't mess around with anything on the north side. This is the area I was referring to. I’ve heard there can be wicked strong currents but wasn’t sure if that’s just on the north side or also around the outer portion of the lagoon. I ended up launching off the east end of the beach since the tide was flooding and I wanted to be sure I'd have a spot to land my kite when I was done. Seemed fine riding there but like I said the tide was inbound.

I found it. Well kind of:

Quote from wylieflyote:

"Very similar to a mid-90s windsurfer story out at the last Columbia River/Ilwaco buoy... next stop Taiwan. Windsurfer got trapped in dying-dead winds, very strong out-going current, looses board/all. Just barely snags the final buoy (buoy #12?) at the Columbia River bar. Windsurfing buddy is back near Warrenton pre-cell phone era. After hours of near death the friend calls the USCG at Ilwaca Station. It turns out that a Seattle television station was doing a ride-along that day.
Scene on live TV is of this guy curled up in the helicopter crying his eyes out once they hoisted him on-board.
Wish I could find the story. It was big on rec.windsurfing newsgroup back it the day."

3rd page of this post. . .

http://nwkite.com/forums/t-41240-0-asc-34.html

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 25, 22 11:57 pm    Da Ponds - THU Reply with quote

ANYONE not in Mexico? ...looking at temps in mid 50's which to many is COLD but when Rooster is clocking 75+ mph at 38 degrees it's nearly tropical.

I'm guessing Marcus and I will be out there making the most of JANUARY is for KITING...

FYI - High tide isn't ideal it's early 8am

BE SAFE - don't become the story...

Mc

2022-01-26_00-17-02.png 

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jan 26, 22 8:01 am    Re: Da Ponds - THU Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
ANYONE not in Mexico?

Nope.

B6FBA0F9-F368-4B68-911C-14E1E8BB06F4.jpeg 

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed Jan 26, 22 11:55 am     Reply with quote

Ah bummer I'd totally be out there if I wasn't busy packing up for Baja right now. I've gotten out there a couple of times this month, though!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostThu Jan 27, 22 11:00 pm    D Lot Reply with quote

Hasta mañana to those still stuck in ol' MEX

Today's Report = UNCROWDED

Wind = ?

Had a TACO on the way home and poured out some salsa for those that
couldn't be there...how was it?

You'll ONLY KNOW if You GO...

Mc

2022-01-27_22-53-52.png 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 27, 22 11:13 pm     Reply with quote

Way to get after it.

Eric

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostFri Jan 28, 22 10:10 am     Reply with quote

Nice, that's pretty much how it looked when I was there a couple weeks ago. Just look out for those snags when the tide starts to get low!

leithaus

Since 20 Aug 2020
19 Posts
PDX

PostWed Nov 15, 23 8:06 am    Tide question - Ponds Reply with quote

What are the tide conditions best suited to ride at the Ponds at Fort Stevens on an east wind day? Thinking of making the journey tomorrow, but haven't been there before.
Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: