Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot Machine vs Raptor vs Turbine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Nov 04, 21 7:43 am    Slingshot Machine vs Raptor vs Turbine Reply with quote

With the recent release of the Slingshot Machine, I'm scratching my head as to what's the difference between the machine, raptor, and turbine. Once you get past the fancy website marketing, drone aerials, and beach party videos, I could tell that the machine has 3 struts compared to 5 for both the raptor and turbine. Otherwise, all three are billed as their high aspect, big boosting, lofty jumping kites. If anyone could help shed some light on the differences and who these kites are geared towards, it'd be much appreciated. Am I misssing something or is SS selling three kites that do the same exact thing? Thank you.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 04, 21 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

Machine has 5 struts. Wink

The Turbine and Raptor are no longer mentioned on the website - so guessing the Machine replaces both?
https://slingshotsports.com/collections/kites

slingshot-2022-machine-v1-kite-action.jpeg 

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 04, 21 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

The Machine LW looks to be replacing the Turbine. The Machine has five struts, the Machine LW has 3 which is very welcome in a light wind kite. The five strut 2018 17m Turbine weighed 10.3 pounds and the three strut 2012 17m Turbine weighed 8.8 pounds according to my scale. (The 8.8 pounds was with the original ultra thin bladders, with replacement bladders it weighs 9.4 pounds.) The 17m Machine LW weighs 9 pounds according to the SS website.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 05, 21 8:21 am    Machine Reply with quote

The machine replaces the raptor & turbine . The machine is the new big boosting , free ride kite . It has a whole new DNA , it does not feel like previous Slingshot Kites . Lighter bar pressure , pivots fast , goes upwind great . I would encourage you to give them a try . I will have a 9/10/12 to demo.

- Jon

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Nov 05, 21 11:05 am     Reply with quote

I will state that I am very disappointed SS got rid of the Raptor.

Not only is it a great boosting kite it also handles punchy wind better than any other kite I have ridden. While it may not have much low end it is difficult to find the top end of the kite.

It is the perfect high wind gorge kite.

Also - I have to say I'm not sure I'm keen on SS's changes to making lighter kites at the expense of materials. SS = bombproof. At least that has always been the case.

I want to trust a kite in 50+ mph conditions. I don't care that it is a half an ounce lighter.

Chaka

Since 11 Apr 2018
5 Posts
North portland
Kook

PostSat Nov 06, 21 9:39 am     Reply with quote

The machine looks to be geared towards the big air looping crowd. The Raptor was pretty sketchy to loop because of the fairly slow turning speed. Every time I looped my 8m raptor in 30+ knots I nearly shit myself. I believe one of the pros brought it up in a podcast when asked why he was on the rpx for big air instead of the raptor. Basically said the raptor was too slow to recover after looping. The machine is supposed to be a quicker and more pivotal turning kite. The LW Machine is basically a lighter weight turbine. This whole situation reminds me of the 2017 Turbine large and small sizes. The LW vs the 12m and under kites should really carry a different name.

bob

Since 09 Mar 2007
137 Posts
Madison, Wi
Stoked

PostSat Nov 27, 21 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

As stated above, the Machine is replacing the Raptor up to 12m and are 5 struts.
The Machine is then replacing the Turbine in 15m and 17m and is a 3 strut. I loved the Raptor, but it needed better low end and from initial riding of the 10m and 12m, the Machine is really fun to ride.
The Turbine for sure needed an upgrade and the Machine has lightish bar pressure, is faster turning and way more range. The Turbine just didn't have the range some other big kites have.

Bob

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Nov 28, 21 10:30 am     Reply with quote

bob wrote:
As stated above, the Machine is replacing the Raptor up to 12m and are 5 struts.
The Machine is then replacing the Turbine in 15m and 17m and is a 3 strut. I loved the Raptor, but it needed better low end and from initial riding of the 10m and 12m, the Machine is really fun to ride.
The Turbine for sure needed an upgrade and the Machine has lightish bar pressure, is faster turning and way more range. The Turbine just didn't have the range some other big kites have.

Bob

Good to hear. Always nice to have positive feedback from riders.

I agree the raptor had poor low end and was slow. But, in my opinion these were characteristics I could live with given the other benefits of the kite. I have some real concerns with losing this kite as I had plans to fill my 35-55mph conditions quiver with raptors as my other kites aged out. I guess I just need to have a little faith...

Regarding the Turbine, I have two large turbines (13,17) and feel they have excellent range. If their range is improved then great. Also, I don't feel their bar pressure is all that heavy. They do turn like molasses but they are quite large. They are a considerable improvement over the Rally for that size of kite.

My fear is a new kite that robs peter to pay paul.

bob

Since 09 Mar 2007
137 Posts
Madison, Wi
Stoked

PostSun Nov 28, 21 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
bob wrote:

Bob

Good to hear. Always nice to have positive feedback from riders.

I agree the raptor had poor low end and was slow. But, in my opinion these were characteristics I could live with given the other benefits of the kite. I have some real concerns with losing this kite as I had plans to fill my 35-55mph conditions quiver with raptors as my other kites aged out. I guess I just need to have a little faith...

Regarding the Turbine, I have two large turbines (13,17) and feel they have excellent range. If their range is improved then great. Also, I don't feel their bar pressure is all that heavy. They do turn like molasses but they are quite large. They are a considerable improvement over the Rally for that size of kite.

My fear is a new kite that robs peter to pay paul.

I would say that if you are riding the Raptor in that strong of winds, it will probably be a bit better than the new Machine. Reason being, the Machine is a little higher aspect and i you are riding in those kind of winds, you just want something that is solid and yet fun. That's the Raptor in spades. I'm not saying the Machine won't be as good, but it might be close.
I think the biggest differences with kites are usually in the larger sizes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: