Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Self landing Slingshot UFO
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Nov 13, 21 7:00 am    Self landing Slingshot UFO Reply with quote

Any suggestions on self landing this kite. The leading edge is so upturned when I put it down and pull my center line to swing the kite out of the wind, the leading edge catches and goes back up into the air.
My drifters just sit right down when self landing.
This kite re launches in the lightest wind.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Nov 13, 21 9:26 am     Reply with quote

This is the one weakness of the UFO. Worth it, IMHO, for everything that's great about the kite. Even if you could self land it, if it's on the deck without weight on it, it's going to blow away quickly. I haven't even tried to self land it, because I wouldn't trust it not to blow away before I could get to it any way.

If you have to self land it, there are two options that I see: hooking the chicken loop to a tether, or dumping the kite to the safety. If you have to self land with no tether, release the kite to the safety and hook the safety line to your board once the kite is stable on the ground.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Nov 13, 21 10:36 am     Reply with quote

Maybe it's similar to my Clouds I rode for a 6 years? I didn't attempt to steer and land it LE down, but rather I simply flew the kite to the edge with a tip touching the sand, and then hand-over-hand walk up the front lines together with constant equal line tension. My winters are 5 months solo on a Mexican beach with no other options.

Similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoynpGPXtbs

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Nov 13, 21 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
Maybe it's similar to my Clouds I rode for a 6 years? I didn't attempt to steer and land it LE down, but rather I simply flew the kite to the edge with a tip touching the sand, and then hand-over-hand walk up the front lines together with constant equal line tension. My winters are 5 months solo on a Mexican beach with no other options.

Similar to this:

Thanks, that is a great video. I was in maui and the landing was a little rugged to walk the lines up.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Nov 13, 21 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:

Similar to this:

Interesting, that's pretty cool. How strong a wind have you tried this in?

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostSat Nov 13, 21 5:08 pm    Self land ufo Reply with quote

When I self land a ufo I grab the lower center line wing tips will point straight up walk up the line to the kite. It will just float there

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Nov 13, 21 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
wylieflyote wrote:

Similar to this:

Interesting, that's pretty cool. How strong a wind have you tried this in?

Nak, Honestly this is my Mexico plan and where I live down there it's always a light-moderate thermal sea breeze. And of course this will not work with NW barnacles. But in grassy Belfair State Park I've easily done this in the high 20s.... grassy

purdyd

Since 27 Nov 2006
41 Posts

PostSun Nov 14, 21 5:25 am     Reply with quote

Option 1 would be a tether. I just pretty much carry one and if I am someplace for a few days I just bury something and attach to that.

Option 2 would be walk up the lines. I’ve done mid 20s with a 3m ufo. You might want to walk up wind a step or two to pin the kite against the ground.

Option 3 is to pull on the lower front line so it is on its back and walk up line.

Option 4 if it is really light drop on leading edge.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostSun Nov 14, 21 9:09 pm    another option Reply with quote

Another option that I have used, in situations where the other options already discussed cannot be used, is to simply do Kips technique while the kite is flying over head. I have done this with my Clouds and find that once the rear line tension is released there is very little pull. Not sure if UFO would feel the same.

I have done this up to 25kts while flying my 6.2M. I don't think I would do this in anymore wind.

KenB

Since 10 Sep 2019
17 Posts

PostMon Nov 15, 21 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

What's that blue clip thing on the foil board?

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 19, 21 10:04 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
... My winters are 5 months solo on a Mexican beach with no other options.

Rolling Eyes Cool Love It!!

Great advice and video on self land. Thx!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Nov 20, 21 11:36 am     Reply with quote

KenB wrote:
What's that blue clip thing on the foil board?

Never seen one, but NSI probably has something similar to do what this guy does. Mine floats away.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Nov 20, 21 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:

Nak, Honestly this is my Mexico plan and where I live down there it's always a light-moderate thermal sea breeze. And of course this will not work with NW barnacles. But in grassy Belfair State Park I've easily done this in the high 20s.... grassy

This makes total sense, now that I think about it. We use such smaller kites foiling that something like this has got to be easier than using a kite sized for twin tipping. This just never occurred to me. Thanks!!!!

And BTW, damn I wish my wife wanted to spend five months in Mexico!!! We almost bought a house in Baja a couple of years ago and she bailed. I could easily spend winter down there for sure. Sad

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Nov 20, 21 9:23 pm     Reply with quote

purdyd wrote:
Option 1 would be a tether. I just pretty much carry one and if I am someplace for a few days I just bury something and attach to that.

Option 2 would be walk up the lines. I’ve done mid 20s with a 3m ufo. You might want to walk up wind a step or two to pin the kite against the ground.

Option 3 is to pull on the lower front line so it is on its back and walk up line.

Option 4 if it is really light drop on leading edge.

I wish I could "like" posts here!

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostTue Nov 30, 21 9:25 pm    Re: Self landing Slingshot UFO Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
Any suggestions on self landing this kite. The leading edge is so upturned when I put it down and pull my center line to swing the kite out of the wind, the leading edge catches and goes back up into the air.
My drifters just sit right down when self landing.
This kite re launches in the lightest wind.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Why not pull the release and walk up the flagging line?

I have done may many times

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 01, 21 1:45 pm    Re: Self landing Slingshot UFO Reply with quote

phill wrote:
[

Why not pull the release and walk up the flagging line?

I have done may many times

Not sure if a UFO acts at all like a Cloud, but with Clouds this ain't great. The kite on a flag-out goes into a spiral. Not unsafe, but by the time I reach the kite the lines have 20+ twists in them.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Jan 17, 22 1:35 pm     Reply with quote

I just want to thank everyone on this thread for the self landing techniques. I've been flying my 5 UFO all week in Baja, and I've been self landing using the grab the two front lines and then pulling on the lower front line to put the kite on it's back. That works great!! I will say that skipping pulling on the lower front line and just walking out the front lines nearly resulted in a kitemare in holy and gusty wind. Definitely put the kite on it's back before walking in on the front lines. Easy peasy.

BTW, super excited for the upcoming 4m UFO. Sure wish I had one now!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: