Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

In case you weren’t aware
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Godlike

Since 25 Sep 2008
111 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Oct 11, 21 4:26 am    In case you weren’t aware Reply with quote

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35548&sid=1e6cdad054591be6c0e0571966ed1edf

Here on Maui we are trying to work out an arrangement with the local canoe clubs and the harbormaster to preserve at least some access to the Kahului harbor, which is popular for beginners and intermediates due to it’s safety. However it looks like we might be fighting a losing battle as the aforementioned players hold all the cards. It doesn’t help when tourists risk it for all of us. If the asshole that this post in the Maui Wingfoilers FB group refers to reads this, be on notice: your actions may have sealed the deal for us.

“ There was an incident at Kahului Harbor, Maui today with a wing foiler who said he was from Hood River., Oregon The wing foiler disobeyed the orders from a tugboat in the shipping channel and foiled around barges and between two tugs. He refused to give way. We spoke with this person and he was not apologetic or had ownership of doing anything wrong. This was a total lack of respect and knowledge of the local environment and issues. Some of you may be aware that the Maui Wing Foiling community is on VERY shaky ground with the canoe clubs and the Kahului Harbormaster at the moment.
Please pass this information along to anyone thinking of coming to Maui. We want you to enjoy world class wind and waves but we also want you to obey the rules of the road so that we can keep enjoying wing foiling here. And if anyone knows of a person who happens to currently be in Maui riding about a 5'0 Starboard with a blue F-One Strike wing - we would be grateful if you would let him know that he messed up. Any help in identifying this person is appreciated too.”

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Oct 11, 21 8:05 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up.

"When in Rome, do as Romans do."

What an asshole showing no regret after being told what not to do.

Get a picture of the person and post it. Public shame often works.

Godlike

Since 25 Sep 2008
111 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Oct 11, 21 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

I think many getting into winging, kiteboarding are unaware of there responcibilies, and then there is personality/ EGO involved to0.

When beyond the narrow limits of a swimming, surfing, or bathing area, wing boarding, kiteboarding, windsurfing is a vessel under 46 U.S.C & 2101 and therefore subject to applicable regulations administered by the coast guard and it's office of boating safety. Commercial Ship Traffic
Right-of-Way – Always give commercial traffic the right-of-way. This means not crossing their bow, or sailing between a tug and its barge under tow. USCG Rule 9 places the obligation on us, the small vessel operator, to avoid impeding the large vessel.
Be Alert and Anticipate – Allow more than enough time and space for a large vessel to see that you are moving out of their path. Make early and clear movements for them to confidently note your intentions.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 11, 21 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

Discouraging, and good luck with your fight for rights. I don't think there's really as much of a "community" as the word implies. I say this because his actions don't reflect well on our 'community' of Hood River, but then again we are frequently having to police "locals" to enforce the rules at the event site so we don't lose access there, either.

Thanks for posting this - hope someone lets him know - and again, good luck.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Oct 12, 21 8:22 am     Reply with quote

The Gorge gets a bad rap from the transplants. If this guy is as stupid and rude as it sounds, betting he's not really "from" the Gorge. Sad

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Oct 12, 21 8:32 am     Reply with quote

He has been identified in other forums and has an out of state area code for what it is worth. The shit part of it all is the harbor wing crew has made it exceptionally easy to find and understand the harbor rules which can be found online and onsite with very little effort.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Oct 13, 21 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
The Gorge gets a bad rap from the transplants. If this guy is as stupid and rude as it sounds, betting he's not really "from" the Gorge. Sad

Windswiffer,

My experience is that transplants to the gorge are often outcasts from where they came from.

So if he moved to the gorge, we non 'gorgeous' probably sent him to you.

And we have a "seller does not accept returns" policy. Sorry.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 13, 21 5:43 pm     Reply with quote

I lived in Hood River fulltime for twelve years and can count the number of people I met actually born and raised there on my appendages.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Oct 13, 21 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
I lived in Hood River fulltime for twelve years and can count the number of people I met actually born and raised there on my appendages.

I actually found this statement interesting, humorous, and likely true (If you omit kids and young adults who come from water sport families).

The people with attitude, you know the people who buy a little piece of property and somehow think their ownership of that tiny hunk of dirt somehow provides them special access to public property just because it is in the vicinity of their tiny little hunk of dirt are in my experience always out of towners. They move in, plant a flag, and start telling everybody else they are special because they are locals. They do crazy things like declaring public beaches (developed with public money well before they ever moved in) as private.

Whoops this was about Hood River, not Mosier... I guess I just need to move on. Sorry for my rant...

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Oct 14, 21 8:19 am     Reply with quote

FWIW....the local "word on the street" is saying the winger in question was identified and is supposedly from Vail CO.....which means Breckenridge, Hood River, Sun River, Egg River, River Phoenix, River Dance....etc...etc...etc..you get the point.

When everyone seems to be roaming the world living out of a van down by the river these days is anyone truly local anymore? Who cares. Be a nice cool human and act responsibly. Mistakes happen, own it, and learn from it because if you play tough guy against maritime laws/rules you're going to lose every time.

Maui is always an interesting crowd.....I bet somebody pulled out their Makita and shortened his board about 2 feet and then slapped a "It's all good in da Hood" sticker on it. Laughing

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Oct 14, 21 9:49 am    Respect gets Respect Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
. . .

Maui is always an interesting crowd.....I bet somebody pulled out their Makita and shortened his board about 2 feet and then slapped a "It's all good in da Hood" sticker on it. Laughing

HA!

RESPECT GETS RESPECT. Respect the locals and their "way of the land." Or in this context, the ways in the waters.

Travis Bickle Rex (TBR) is going to love some of the heavy metal and punk sound bites on the second vid.

Link

Link

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 14, 21 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Sella and Big John... LOL. Inspired my new status... Rufus LOCAL!!

(Y'all stay down at the sandbar now, ya hear?)

May the biggest van win. Laughing

Or the coolest...

TBR Classic Shredmobile.jpg 

Last edited by shred_da_gorge on Wed Oct 20, 21 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostThu Oct 14, 21 3:00 pm    Re: Respect gets Respect Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Travis Bickle Rex (TBR) is going to love some of the heavy metal and punk sound bites on the second vid

SavageTanic Riffs of Surf Rage Destruction!
Pantera alert;
https://youtu.be/aDACorIaxNw

Godlike

Since 25 Sep 2008
111 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Oct 16, 21 10:15 am     Reply with quote

All resolved. We all got our panties in a bunch over this. Hurtful things were posted then removed. Offender (from Colorado, not PNW) apologized to the Harbormaster. We are all Kumbaya now Smile In another related case, a few days later the same happened again, but a different sailor. He was accosted on the beach upon his return by the locals, Harbormaster #2 and a few others in uniform approached him and again the offender offered his apology and said it wouldn't happen again. Harbormaster #2 accepted apology.

Note: Today is the 15th which happens to be the date floated around at which signs will be put up prohibiting any kind of foiling or windsurfing in the harbor (according to an earlier email that was passed around). I was there yesterday and saw no such signs, and I saw a lot of happy faces learning how to wingfoil in the light morning winds. Time will tell whether this ban is a thing. Hopefully the Canoe, Foil and Authorities will come to a mutually satisfactory agreement.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSat Oct 16, 21 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

Great to hear! Mahalo for the update; we will keep fingers crossed for no more issues.

GreasyRick

PostMon Oct 18, 21 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

You mean some fuckin Hood River yuppie who has so much excess money he can travel and dick around in Hawaii when it drops below 46°F was an asshole? Shocking revelation

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 18, 21 6:23 pm     Reply with quote

GreasyRick wrote:
You mean some fuckin Hood River yuppie who has so much excess money he can travel and dick around in Hawaii when it drops below 46°F was an asshole? Shocking revelation

You might want to read the thread... Turned out the offender was from Colorado not Hood River.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: