Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Viento rescue today Thursday 7/29/2021

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kiterland

Since 11 Aug 2009
143 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 29, 21 5:38 pm    Viento rescue today Thursday 7/29/2021 Reply with quote

Viento rescue today Thursday 7/29/2021

I used to kitefoil at Viento. To make it through the weeds when landing, I would turn my foil upside down and have the kite pull me over the weeds to shore.

Now comes winging. All stoked about a surprise breeze at Viento today, I headed out on my wing, not paying much attention on how to make it back over the weeds. Big mistake!

Upon returning, I did get stuck in the weeds. My wing was flat on the water. Hence no pull but drag instead. In addition there is an easterly (eddy?) current close to shore which transported me closer to the weed field. Eventually my board leash and weeds got tangled around my legs and my panic button started to ring.

A friend saw me struggling and came out to reach his hand but he lost his footing. Soon there was a human chain pulling us back to shore. A person asked about my health, another carried my board. Then I realized the wing attachment came loose (the F-one wrist stopper slips right through the buckle!) and my new wing was floating to the WA side. Another person assured me his daughter was coming from ES with a seadoo. Eventually she picked up my wing on the WA shore, deflated it and closed the valves to prevent water from entering the blooder during transport back.

We asked for the names of people who helped us but were told “no worries, just pass on the help to the next person.”

And so we will!

Thanks to everyone for helping me out today. What a great experience that made me believe in humanity again!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 29, 21 7:39 pm    Yay! Reply with quote

Kiterland,

Stoked to hear your story - it's a unique tribe of us wind-riders...

BEWARE the seaweed monster is but one of several dark spirits that live at Viento, was tempted to make the move today, but thought better of heeding those "SIRENS tempting songs of loss & woe at Viento".

Even tho I've had some beautiful days there that spot has some dark energy.

Glad you had some friends around and got all your gear back in the rig.

Cheers,

Mc

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 29, 21 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Good reminder.

A lot of people don't realize how dangerous weeds can be in the River.

They will grab your board, your lines, your legs... You name, they will engulf it.

The faster you swim the more they will entangle you.

If you do get caught in them try to climb onto something with flotation (like a board or a kite). If there is nothing to climb on try to glide over them and keep lots of air in your lungs. Long and slow strokes. Don't panic.

And keep far far away from any lines. The weeds will wrap around your legs or arms as you are swimming. Then they will grab a line feet from you and attach it to your legs or arms. Not a fun situation to be in.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 29, 21 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

You need us twin tippers around to cut that shit up. Time for me to put my shark fin and snorkel on to do some work for you foilers Smile. Glad all is well. Could go bad fast!!

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Jul 30, 21 9:16 am     Reply with quote

Good people, good karma, good knowledge.

Thanks for the share - Up river on the east side of Viento is a semi sandy bottom and shallower beach (also with weeds but you can touch bottom) that is used as an alt launch and land.

Several times a season up further at Rufus - hot shots will jump the spit, wipeout and get their bars tangled in the weeks - many a death spirals and some so congested that punching out doesn't work because of the tangles being so tight..

www.freeridekiting.com

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 30, 21 9:54 am     Reply with quote

I would add to this.

There are two areas I often see weeds (milfoil):

1) There is usually a weed line before a sandy beach. This is usually where the deep river meets the shallow shore. Sets up an environment where weeds can thrive. On a side note. If there is a rock line straight up to the railroad I find there are usually not any weeds.

2) In shallow protected inlets. These are areas where it is shallow for considerable distance up to the shoreline. Also, these areas are often protected from the main water way and have little current. Many launch sites fit into this category.

The thing to note is that river height makes a huge difference with regards to weed impact. If the water level is low you might be simply walking through the weeds. But if the water level is 3 feet higher and you have to swim through the same region these weeds are grabbing ahold of everything.

Yet another thing to take note of if you are self rescuing.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 30, 21 3:16 pm    Rescue Reply with quote

Hats off to your daughter. The ride from the event site to viento by wave runner is a pain. If its chopping you spend a lot time flying across the swell. It always wears my old ass out. LOL

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSat Jul 31, 21 6:09 am     Reply with quote

Wonder if a V shaped weed cutter you toss out by and pull in or off Jetski would keep the weeds down for long periods. They work great but no idea how fast the weeds would return.

https://weedersdigest.com/aquatic-weed-cutters/

www.naishkites.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 01, 21 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Wonder if a V shaped weed cutter you toss out by and pull in or off Jetski would keep the weeds down for long periods. They work great but no idea how fast the weeds would return.

https://weedersdigest.com/aquatic-weed-cutters/

Great idea, worth trying for sure.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 01, 21 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

Years ago in the 1970s I worked in an arboretum where one of the managers took a nylon stocking filled with copper filings and hung them in the water in our beautiful big pond to kill the milfoil. Problem solved, but the koy were belly up. Oops

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 02, 21 9:02 pm     Reply with quote

Last year was my first time doing the downwinder. A buddy launched before me and his kite inverted and he ended up struggling back to shore just upriver from the launch. I went to help him. Probably good that I did, but it was nightmare for both of us. I was not aware of that weed field and it was extremely challenging to get to shore and sort everything out.

Glad you got back with some help!

danf

Since 12 Jun 2009
106 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 03, 21 10:57 am     Reply with quote

The best way I know of to cross a big patch of weeds on a wing board is flip it upside down, mast forward against your shoulder, and paddle like a surfboard. Probably best to flip it over before you get too deep into the weeds. Keep the hard wing away from the soft wing or you will be making a trip to see the Dangler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: