Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Winging force on arms/shoulders?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostTue Jun 15, 21 4:25 am     Reply with quote

The biggest challenge for most beginners is getting on foil and that will be easiest with the 2400. But you will outgrow it pretty quickly around here, especially at your weight. The 1850 is a great versatile foil and you don't give up that much low end compared to the 2400. There is a lot of turnover of Armie stuff these days due to some recently introduced upgrades.

The shorter mast is fine for learning but you will definitely want a longer mast at some point.

For winging, we think a reel leash around the waist is the best. It almost never gets in the way and after a crash, the foil stays away from you. A friend of mine using a more traditional board leash had his foil puncture his wing several times after crashes (and numerous close calls) and is very happy after switching to a reel leash.

My wife and I are deeply into winging with Armstrong stuff so feel free to message me for more info.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 30, 21 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

Good stuff. I want to try a wing, but I have a nasty impinged shoulder. Totally f'd, but I think a wing might not be an issue (for the shoulder). Need to learn to sail my new boat first, but I think a wing is second on the list.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 30, 21 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

I had a shoulder impingement many years ago. Dr Durkin ground it down and with PT I was good to go in 2 months. Without the surgery I couldn’t lift my hand above my head. Very important for winging!

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 30, 21 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

Durkin did my knee. Great guy. I can lift my arm and do pull ups. In front pushing motion (bench press) or pushing up (dip type motion) is brutal. Changed out batts in my boat today and simply carrying them sucked. It does sound like I have to go under the knife. Probably this Fall. Damn you Moondog, bringing me back down to Earth Wink

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue Jul 06, 21 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

I had torn and severed rotator cuffs and bicep tendon. Repaired but didn't hold. Local doctors would not do anything. Went to Dr. Millet at Steadman clinic in Vail and his team worked miracles repairing and re-attaching tendons and did a cadaver graft to replace my hopeless supraspinatus.

Doing everything again now including wing-foiling without pain or loss of strength.

I have been wake-foiling behind our boat for 3 years and took me two days to become proficient at wing-foiling. Riding both tacks in the channel off Wells and making a few transitions. Lots of crashing but coming up grinning ear-to-ear. Hardest part for me was/is going from kneeling to standing. Especially in large chop/swell.

+1 on the reel leash. I am on Armstrong HS1850 wing, 72cm mast and 5-11 board with Ozone Wasps.

All the best,
Hein

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
314 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostThu Jul 08, 21 10:10 am     Reply with quote

Hein wrote:
been wake-foiling behind our boat for 3 years and took me two days to become proficient at wing-foiling.

Before I bought the wing foil gear, and with almost no foil experience (just a lotta windsurfing and kiting experience in the rearview), I was told that the hardest part to wing foiling was the foiling, and now, I completely agree-with this statement. It's taken me an ungodly amount of time to gain a foil sense - three months of fairly consistently going. The yute got-it in the drop-of-a-hat.

The two things that resound in my brain as I wingfoil now are what Laird Davis said about wing foiling "it's not a low wind sport" and Pepe's description of the software update in your brain that needs to occur to become adept at wing foiling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: