Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rio Vista/Sherman Island Beta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Feb 22, 21 4:46 pm    Rio Vista/Sherman Island Beta Reply with quote

Anybody have the 411 on Rio Vista/Sherman Island? Camping? Local vibe? Wind in March/April? Any Issues foiling there?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 22, 21 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

It’s a place for twin tippers and surfboards only Smile

esommer

Since 17 Aug 2016
64 Posts
PDX

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 23, 21 8:21 am     Reply with quote

Here’s an accurate summary of the launches: https://www.sfba.org/sherman-island-park.html

I believe March is a little early for wind there. April or May is when it’ll start.

I haven’t camped there since the pandemic started. In normal times, it’s cheap to stay there. You must stay in your van/trailer/RV/car. No tent camping. And bring you own water. There’s a pit toilet but no running water.

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Feb 23, 21 11:51 am    Sherman Island Reply with quote

Sherman is a very special place - outstanding wind quality and a unique 'hole in the wall' type charm to it. I kited there for years including the February and March months as well. It's the same thermal effect as the gorge but without mountaineous terrain. Sherman is the half way point between the hot Sacramento valley and the cool SF coast. You'll need a 4/3 wetsuit for this time of year. The season doesn't officially start there until mid/late April so although there will be wind, the place will still look abandoned and you may be the only kite on the water. Don't let that intimidate you - most of the regulars are still in Mexico and waiting for May to make the drive up. I've had some of my best sessions there in March and April.

The launch is tight and can get crowded on busy days. You'll need to launch, walk through a narrow path between thorned berry bushes, to a small beach where you'll need to kite upwind immediately or else your kite will land in the thorn bushes. It's a blessing and a curse (much like Rufus) because it's not beginners friendly, but it's also not beginner friendly Wink so you won't have noobs kiting right near the launch, and most people there are experienced enough to know how to avoid mistakes or bumping into others on the water.

As far as camping, you'll need to knock on Bob and Mina's trailer to buy a day camping pass which I think is like 10 bucks. There should be plenty of room for camping there in front of the main rigging area in March/April. Lastly, I don't foil but I've seen many foilers there and it doesn't appear to be a problem. Much like the Columbia, the Sacramento River is very deep. However, pay attention to the tide charts as Sherman does get tidal influence which can either push the water upwind or downwind depending on the time of day. Hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 23, 21 9:17 pm     Reply with quote

I stop at Sherman for foiling every April on my run home from Mexico. Love the place. Get comfortable with walking your kite down paths that are designated for "IN" and "OUT".
If you want, you could ask on Facebook SFB Kiteboarding and someone's got a chart of where all the foil eating hummocks are, I've never hit one

jjm

Since 30 May 2009
4 Posts

Kook

PostWed Feb 24, 21 8:06 am     Reply with quote

There are some additional maps that aren't incorporated into the SFBA site.
http://www.3rdavekite.com/pages/KiteSpots.html

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 24, 21 10:37 am     Reply with quote

My story on camping. Was there in 2016 on my return drive home from Mexico. It was mid-April and I set up a tent in a clear area behind some shrubs near the overnight parking. The wind was strong northerly and crappy for kiting. I went to sleep, and at 2:30 AM this devil north wind became so powerful that my old tent exploded and collapsed on to top of me. I "slept" the rest of the night inside the concrete outhouse. Not good.

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Feb 24, 21 1:24 pm    Camping Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
My story on camping. Was there in 2016 on my return drive home from Mexico. It was mid-April and I set up a tent in a clear area behind some shrubs near the overnight parking. The wind was strong northerly and crappy for kiting. I went to sleep, and at 2:30 AM this devil north wind became so powerful that my old tent exploded and collapsed on to top of me. I "slept" the rest of the night inside the concrete outhouse. Not good.

I've heard and experienced many funny Sherman camping stories but this is right up there with the best of em lol! At least there's a lot of good reading material in those out houses. Someone built up a legit library and bookshelf! Often times, the thermal effect there magnifies at night which leads to stronger winds than during the day time. I used to sleep there in the bed of my old truck, under the tonneau cover, coffin style. The wind woke me up in the middle of the night and I forgot I was under a tonneau. I tried to situp and bammm the tonneau metal crossbar gave me a shiner right at the corner of my eye. Needless to say my days of tonneau coffin style camping finished that summer Razz

jjm

Since 30 May 2009
4 Posts

Kook

PostWed Feb 24, 21 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

You're not supposed to camp in tents... but if you do and the grass is lush there is probably a reason for it.

tent.jpg 

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 24, 21 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

One more thing. If you're there in March and April you can forage for wild asparagus. It's everywhere, really easy to spot, and tastes delicious.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 25, 21 12:35 pm    surfers Reply with quote

Justsmile wrote:
It’s a place for twin tippers and surfboards only Smile
pretty sure surfers don't tip, even if they're twins.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Feb 25, 21 1:05 pm    Great Info Reply with quote

Cheers everyone. Thank for the beta.

Anyone camped at Willow or Cottonwood campground 6 miles up the road from Sherman? Looks like there may be a few more services there and some wind shelter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: