Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Accident at Rooster yesterday afternoon, 9-28-20
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Sep 29, 20 7:52 am    Accident at Rooster yesterday afternoon, 9-28-20 Reply with quote

I heard there was an accident. What happened and how is the individual involved?
Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Sep 30, 20 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total

flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostTue Sep 29, 20 10:57 am     Reply with quote

An older gentleman in his 50s was launching his kite and something happened that caused the kite to go across the window. He was launched 15-20 feet in the air and hit hard. There was a trama surgeon on the beach that was able to check him out while EMT got there. He left conscious. I’m not 100% sure but it’s either broken hip and broken femur or both. I don’t know the exact injury. It was really serious though. Reminded me that these high winds can be very dangerous.

Another really good rider broke his leg this morning at RR. He was boosting on the water and something went wrong, he feel from the air and his boots did the damage.

Stay safe, alert, and help others on the beach!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 29, 20 11:28 pm    Safety Talk - PSA Reply with quote

Many years ago I went rafting with a group and being young and invincible I scoffed at the safety meeting and discussion we were "forced to endure" before getting on the water... now with the benefit of hindsight and some maturity I can see the wisdom in taking the time to make sure everyone knows the plan and having a plan for when things go wrong.

<FF> to today - the stoke level has taken a small drop recently seeing these awful accidents - truly wishing the best for those injured and a speedy recovery.

In other news a kiter had to be rescued by the Corbett Fire & EMS tonight after going for a looooong drift as they were unable to self-rescue at RR.

These combined events and a few other observations lead me to urge the many, many of us that love this sport and are frequently looking out for each other to UP our GUARDIAN ANGEL GAME. Understanding personal responsibility is at the core of kiting - just hoping we can collectively spread the stoke and keep safety top of mind.

After sharing a kite "story" with a wiley kite veteran, he asked me "What else could you do - " and after hearing my reply asked, "What else could you do -" after my thoughtful second reply, he asked, "What else could you have done -" which was such a fantastic teaching moment to realize the many options we often have in a situation going bad. That said, the value of pre-planning and knowing what to do if - and then what to do if #2 and what to do if #3 are SO important as in many scenarios you really don't have time to ponder when it's TIME TO ACT to save your butt.

PSA - Whether it's just you talking to yourself or taking 2 minutes with your group - it's highly likely that a silly little act like talking thru your plan for what to do if - just might help us avoid more dukka and get the STOKE LEVEL BACK TO FALL 9000

Mc

PS - Helmets are cool now, wear one... from one of the Doc's on scene yesterday, "I wish he had been wearing a helmet - could have made a BIG difference with his head injuries..."

PPS - Good catch "Obakarama" - corrected my typo...must have thinking of my German buddy HELMUT or maybe his wife SHELMUT either way in an odd twist of history they both opened online helmet shops, so you can pick from a selection at either HELMUT's HELMETS or SHELMUTS HELMETS so we all learned a lot... (OT)

Last edited by McLovin on Wed Sep 30, 20 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Obakarama

Since 29 Jun 2019
47 Posts

PostWed Sep 30, 20 4:43 am    Helmut ? Reply with quote

No offense, I believe it spells helmet. If that's what you mean.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 30, 20 6:33 am     Reply with quote

Lots of reasons to wear helmets. I’ve worn one a colored one for years after I almost ran over a guy at the Hatchery who had lost his rig, almost impossible to see with just a black wetsuit in the waves. Especially important if you ever need to be rescued.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 30, 20 9:29 am     Reply with quote

These things happen so damn fast.

Be careful, one last look at lines, whether you are the pilot or the launcher. I won't let go of a kite until I'm satisfied its going to behave, or if I feel like its too hot, or not hot enough (especially in gusty, flukey wind).

Hoping this guy has a speedy recovery!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 30, 20 11:23 am     Reply with quote

Damn. Best wishes for both riders to have a full and speedy recovery.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed Sep 30, 20 11:59 am     Reply with quote

Yeah the accident on Monday was a pretty awful scene. Lots of paramedics on site and not very many people feeling the kite vibe. I really hope he's going to be ok Sad

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostWed Sep 30, 20 12:05 pm     Reply with quote

Rooster 30-50mph. I had no desire to kite on my smallest kite, 6m. Instead went overpowered on my 3.7 windsurfing.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Sep 30, 20 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

flightmac wrote:
was launching his kite and something happened that caused the kite to go across the window. He was launched 15-20 feet in the air and hit hard.

I wonder what the % of accidents transpire either launching or landing?

There used to be the guy back in the beginnings of kiting who either called himself "safety Rick" or was given that title. He used to have a column in one of the kiting mags in the early days. I'm not sure whatever happened to him?

Anyways, I'm sure he had some type of statistic for injuries relating to both launching and landing.

I'm totally competent by self-launching and landing, but if can get a launch or landing (from a competent individual) I'll take it.

These times is when I feel most vulnerable to mishaps/injury when kiting. Plus there might be others in the land/launch zone and usually help with either, or both, = less wear-and-tear on your kite.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 30, 20 3:28 pm     Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear about the accidents. Hope for a speedy and full recovery to those injured.

I didn't see the accidents but did notice a few things that I feel might be improved upon.

I saw a few people that it appeared to me were not used to high wind kiting. 50 mph winds are very different from 30 mph. No mistakes allowed.

Secure your equipment on the beach. You could tell the people who weren't used to high wind kiting because they didn't have a plan for securing their gear. If your kite or board fly loose in 50 mph winds they are going to seriously injure someone down wind.

My plan for securing equipment includes:

1) I bring a hefty bungy cord and and an extra sand bag. Before putting any equipment on the beach I fill my (spare) sand bag with sand (lots of it). The sand bag will be used to temporarily secure items (kite bag, board etc) while I am fully securing items.

2) I place my kiteboard directly into the wind with the tip facing windward. I use my sandbag to temporarily help secure it. With my board in position I build up sand under/around all the open crevices of my board such that no air can flow under it. Even the slightest pathway for air can turn your kiteboard into a high speed projectile.

3) With my board now secured I can work on my kitebag. I carefully dump my items out of my kitebag using my sandbag as an extra securing weight. On a side note...Monday, one of my gloves got loose. It shot down the beach faster than I could run. Luckily another kiteboarder blocked it with his board and I was able to acquire. Thank you whoever you are.

4) Now that my kitebag is empty I fill it full of sand. This provides for two sandbags. Additionally, I don't need to worry about my kite bag blowing away.

5) I now hook my hefty bungee cord into my kite's pump loop (where most people would connect their pump tether). I wrap the bungee cord around my sand bag and lock it into place. This fully secures my kite and the bungee cord doesn't slip out like those plastic kite cords can.

6) Additionally I place my sand filled kite bag on top of my kite.

7) I can now pump up my kite without any fear of my kite blowing away. In the event I need to leave my gear (to land somebody, or possibly because someone upwind of me didn't secure their gear properly) my gear will stay safe and secure.

8 ) Once my kite is fully pumped I release the bungee cord from the sand bag (leaving it hooked into the kite). I can now flip my kite over and then re-attach the bungee cord to my sand bag.

9) Run lines, check, double check everything. Pull your bridals out away from your kite. Check for mini loops in the bridals or lines that could create knots. Launching in 50 mph winds does not allow for enough time to recover from a knotted bridal.

10) When launching, work with your launcher to fully tension the kite with both of you visually inspecting all bridals and lines before launching.

My only other tip is that in 30-50mph winds it tends to work better keeping your kite low. The lulls and gusts will move your kite back and forth parallel to the water. If the kite is as 12:00 those same lulls and gusts will pull you up and down on your board. The only exception to this is when you hit such a big gust that you are forced down wind. In this instance bring your kite to 12:00 and point your board directly down wind until you can control your kite (and possibly pull depower if available). Once you are back in control put the kite down low and edge back up wind.

It was fun seeing all the kiters out there, but it was apparent that a couple of kiters out there were white knuckling it beyond their skill level.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 30, 20 11:01 pm    graphs Reply with quote

Monday - Tuesday graphs.

RoosterWind.png 

flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostThu Oct 01, 20 9:17 am     Reply with quote

It was the craziest wind conditions I've ever kited in, in my 4 years kiting. When I got home Tuesday, my body was absolutely beat down (in a good way). The amount of bar pressure I had to deal with gave my arms a great workout. I had trouble staying upwind at times because it was so windy.

I loved the challenge but there were moments where I felt like if things went wrong, it would be really, really bad. I hope everyone recovers quickly and fully!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Oct 01, 20 10:57 am     Reply with quote

Booming Rooster east sessions are always a bit wild and 30-40+ winds can be amazing since they're rare and push you into a new kite experience. You start tapping 50+ winds and even the best riders will butt pucker as reaction time comes down to split second decisions. Timing and downwind space are always a bit "off" as your average lofts and gusts are more amped in force. See; rodeo ride and not for the faint of heart when you're snapping legs wearing boots.

Nobody ever wants to see or hear about a fellow waterman being hospitalized but you get lofted that severely from your launch there is more to the story that should have been avoided. I suspect either an outside line wrap, hooked bridle or most likely inexperience came into play upon launch. As he recovers I hope the background story brings more awareness to all but until you feel ready for the ride and give that thumbs up there is never any shame in sitting that shit out.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 01, 20 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

I wish a good and speedy recovery to both.

My observations from Tuesday; (kites are much safer but I think that can give a false impression of the risk in high winds). I saw a couple fellas that should not have been out in those winds. If you’re using a board leash still, rooster at 40+ isn’t the right place to be... not yet. If you don’t know there are rules for sailing, 35+ winds aren’t where you should be. One guy hadn’t a clue as to who has right of way. During those winds, if something goes wrong, it will be very difficult if not impossible to recover. It didn’t feel safe out there because there were a fair number of obvious inexperienced kiters...they’re not difficult to spot.

I wish there was a way to let people know that in high winds, Rooster can be an ass kicker.

McLovins advice is good it’s too bad it isn’t known or somehow reaching those who need it.

As we were leaving, my hubby and I were commenting that we haven’t witnessEd the carnage of even 5 years ago, not to mention 15 years ago! I’m glad those days are gone...

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostFri Oct 02, 20 9:11 am     Reply with quote

yeah. I was out there on Monday and was waiting/hoping the wind would come down from 40-50+. It didn't while I was there, I walked down to the beach to watch the brave ones launching massive airs, just hot lapping it up. I could barely stand to be out there for any length of time. Had no interest in launching my 4.5 in those conditions. Tuesday was much better 30-40's and I had fun in that. But it's a whole other feeling being out in those winds... constantly asking myself "is this fun or really nerve wracking or both?!" I overheard the wife of the guy who broke his leg on Tuesday as she was collecting his gear from the parking lot, sounded like he had surgery and is doing fine. His kite backstalled or misbehaved during a kite loop and he came down hard.

Speedy recovery for all involved! Be wise, safety first! There's always another day to kite.

Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostFri Oct 02, 20 10:34 am     Reply with quote

I missed the craziness of Monday and Tuesday but Wednesday was a great 8m-10m wind. I rode a 9m from noon till it died at 2. Hardly anyone out, I guess everyone was all worn out from the nuclear winds. Certainly no shame sitting out, in this case only a day or two later were much more comfortable conditions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: