Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Joint Press Release from CGKA and CGWA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Mar 24, 07 10:16 am    Joint Press Release from CGKA and CGWA Reply with quote

For Immediate Release
23 March 2007
Hood River, Oregon

Windsurfers, Kiters and the Port of Hood River Coordinate for Shared Access

In light of the enlarged sandbar and expected congestion at the Event Site, this year, representatives from various key groups have worked out a viable solution for shared access along the Hood River Waterfront. Though the new real-estate is property of the Department of State Lands (Oregon), a local push to work out a system of self-policing is favored within the community.

"Michael McElwee and Linda Hull from the Port staff are making a concerted effort to gather information and to accomodate all types of recreational uses along the waterfront," said Cory Roeseler of the Columbia Gorge Kiteboarding Association, "Recreational uses of the waterfront have filled in where manufacturing industries have left. The Port seems to be embracing this shift, and we are happy to work with them for improved water access in a changing world."

"The enlarged sandbar has effectively merged the most accessible part of the sandbar for kiters with the highest concentration of windsurfers directly in front of the Event Site", explains Bruce Peterson of the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association. “This plan will provide some separation of water uses and go a long way to ensure safety for all users.”

The new policy sets a speed limit of 5mph within a demarcated "Safe Zone" immediately in front of the Event Site. No kiting is allowed within the (roughly 600 x 600 foot) safe zone. Beginners and visiting kiters will be encouraged to rig and launch from the North and West facing portions of the sandbar.

Additional signage is being constructed to help users identify the Safe Zone, as well as natural hazards (ie swift current and woody debris).

Roeseler said, "Mother Nature has given us a huge gift, a much greater sandbar. However, we need to respect all users of the river, especially beginners, who have no better place to learn. We should make an extra effort to give people their space, so that going down to the water continues to be a fun and rewarding experience".

Navanod

Since 20 Feb 2007
207 Posts
Beaverton
Stoked

PostSat Mar 24, 07 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Too bad this isn't a issue any more as most of the Delta is in the process of being washed away as I type.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostSat Mar 24, 07 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

Here you have it, this is roughly 500 feet as I don't have the patients to get a 600 foot scale.

Good job CGKA, Way to represent.

EventSite.JPG 

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Mar 27, 07 11:05 am     Reply with quote

So Kiters give up some water to go with the no kiteing beach. And get notheing in return. Like launching at the event site early season when their is no sand showing and less than 12 windsurfers out or at least posting no windsurfing on the sandbar(with its new size windsurfer may come in for a rest).

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 27, 07 11:37 am     Reply with quote

How about we have some of those CGKA meetings in PDX?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 27, 07 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like the 600x600 foot square in front of the Event Site might be a no windsurfing zone either, water looks mighty shallow.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 27, 07 3:05 pm    You mean no slogging Reply with quote

with a 5 mph speed limit, there will not be any planing allowed for 600 ft.

Is it me, but doesn't 8 football fields seem like a lot of space?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 27, 07 9:04 pm    Re: You mean no slogging Reply with quote

boredbrain wrote:
with a 5 mph speed limit, there will not be any planing allowed for 600 ft.

Is it me, but doesn't 8 football fields seem like a lot of space?

It's not just you! We'll be good until the spring run-off faucet gets closed, then the water will recede and no one will be able to ride in their precious event site. MY PRECIOUS!

Sorry, I've been drinking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: