Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone launching from Doug's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostThu Jul 30, 20 8:08 am    Anyone launching from Doug's? Reply with quote

I recall a bunch of people working to fix up the Doug's Beach site so that kites could launch from it. Anyone put it to the test this year? With the ES/Marina on limited/no access, and Lyle being Lyle, I figure this might be one of the options for gorge-bound folks.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jul 30, 20 8:17 am    Did you see this recent post? Reply with quote

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-48319.html&highlight=dougs

The most current info I've taken in. Read the entire post and threads for info.

The river in a short amount of time can take out lots of sweat and effort; the power of water never ceases to amaze me.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostThu Jul 30, 20 8:20 am     Reply with quote

I missed that post, thanks!

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 30, 20 1:16 pm    Re: Anyone launching from Doug's? Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
...one of the options for gorge-bound folks.

Another is hike out to the sandbar from kite spit now that the water is low - probably equidistant.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 30, 20 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

Just looked at it today. Upper path seems in good shape, the lower path is passable but won’t be for long without some attention. The water level is down so there is a ‘beach’ (read; mud flat right now, will dry out quickly) to launch/land on if the water level stays low. It is straight onshore wind but usable. Might have to drift launch depending upon wind strength/angle but very shallow so easy enough.
Could also launch just above the windsurf spot with the right wind angle, also shallow.
Could change daily with water height.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 30, 20 3:41 pm     Reply with quote

Was there Sunday to check it out. Lots of kiteline grabbers on the West side. Not much to look at. Will alot of work over next couple of seasons.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 30, 20 4:22 pm     Reply with quote

Somebody put a small metal post on the south point of our kite beach at Doug's. You can hook your chicken loop on it and walk your kite out and do a self launch. Foilers beware, lots of Eurasian Milfoil!

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSat Aug 29, 20 6:34 am     Reply with quote

I got bit On my hand by a dog and am out of action For a few weeks. I had hoped to try kiting at Dougs late season when the water level had receded. I even bought an annual discover pass, partially to kite at Dougs. Are folks using the new Dougs launch now? Maybe I will get to try it later in September if my injury heals adequately?

Marmot

Since 08 Aug 2007
99 Posts
Lyle, WA

PostSat Sep 26, 20 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

Bumping this thread. I have loppers and other equipment to help clean up Doug's. Not sure what is allowed, as it's technically a state park.

Also, this seems to be the newest thread on the topic, would it make sense to detail where the path is, what's okay and not okay with windsurfers near, some pics of self launching, high/low water pics?

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 27, 20 9:07 am     Reply with quote

It’s already been a year since the big push at Doug’s. And what a year...

I remember there being tons of milfoil in the shallows on the south side of Doug’s. We had quite a time getting Moondog’s Kite in the air. Once the lines are in the water...not good.

There’s an older thread with pictures somewhere.

It was an impressive work party. A trail over 300’ long was cut through overhead high, solid blackberry and brush. Tons of indigo was removed from the shallow cove at the west end. The intention was to create a launch upwind of the windsurfers, and the shallow cove is the best bet. I’d guess fifty people showed up and hit it hard.

I haven’t been out there since.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 28, 20 2:19 pm    After the tracks Reply with quote

After crossing the tracks, look to the West. You will see the trail. Start loping as needed. Near the cove rigging area we need repeat work ever Spring.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 28, 20 8:31 pm    Rowena Reply with quote

Lyle, Lyle, Doug’s. Why no Rowena? Yes I know the cove is too weedy for foiling this time of year, but you can tether launch on the beach gravel at the West end of the beach from a bush as long as there aren’t windsurfers using it. Signs say kiters to the East and windsurfers to the west, but why is the eastern patch of gravel smaller and made of sharp gravel while the bigger west end is larger river gravel like that at Rufus? A few loads of River gravel on the East end and a hook could make a great area an easier launch. No Blackberries and poison oak to fight and it’s an easy kite down to Doug’s and Secrets.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 29, 20 4:51 am    I remember Reply with quote

Slippery basalt rock with ankle twisting cracks just below the surface. Is the West launch better?

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 29, 20 6:57 am     Reply with quote

Still basalt but with gravel filling the low spots so if you watch where you walk you can stay on gravel. Even the rest of the beach is not worse than wading out at Stevenson. Stevenson’s beach was much worse before they added gravel. I think large round gravel would stay at Rowena since it doesn’t get easterlies all winter or flooded as much as the Sandbar. It would be easy to drive gravel in a side-by-side down from the road But I’d be willing to do my share of wheelbarrowing and pitch in for gravel too.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 29, 20 11:49 am     Reply with quote

I have a 5 yard dump trailer. Willing to donate hauling of rock from Munson paving or other local quarry location.

update: Munson paving currently charges $25 / ton (about $32 / yard) for river rock or pea gravel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: