Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The Hatchery vs. America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 23, 20 8:16 am    The Hatchery vs. America Reply with quote

I was at the Hatchery yesterday enjoying a perfect wind on my foil. I start looking around and see a couple friends wind winging and then a kiter comes by on a twin tip and then a windsurfer foiler zips by. A couple minutes later a regular windsurfer and kiter come by on surfboards. Then a SUP board and a ski surfer come cruising by.

My point is we live in a special place where all of us aren't doing the same things but we are sharing this river and living our passions, we are getting along. There used to be a little tension up there between the kiters and windsurfers, but now there are so many diversified sports on the water we have expanded our horizons and comfort levels.

It is sad what is going on in America today, the hate, the divisiveness and I feel so fortunate to be able to share the stoke of our little piece of heaven we call the Gorge! Enjoy and stay safe!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Aug 23, 20 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Nice Thumb's Up

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 23, 20 9:23 am     Reply with quote

That’s called recreation in MERICA!! Got to love the diversity on the water. If only everyone was as respectful and fair off the water!!

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
557 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostSun Aug 23, 20 10:20 am     Reply with quote

last week or so on the water I was looking around and thinking, "dang, this river looks completely different from 10 years ago"

WindLogik

Since 09 Feb 2009
95 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Aug 23, 20 10:55 am     Reply with quote

WINDUDE wrote:
last week or so on the water I was looking around and thinking, "dang, this river looks completely different from 10 years ago"

I was there friday. I've never seen so many different sports. It's crazy how things have evolved. I'm gonna give foiling a try next season with a kite. Looks like a nice light wind option. Cruising around a foot off the water. See them all floating around with no wake.... it's like science fiction.

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 23, 20 11:43 am    Now if we could get the Supreme leader to back off and Reply with quote

Let the Port relax. This morning they are closing off more parking. We are all adults if i want to hang out, let me park!

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostSun Aug 23, 20 1:13 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with the sentiments on the thread. Just wish some of those windsurfers wouldn't get so grumpy when they have to TURN a little bit.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 23, 20 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

Do all of you remember the little gif or whatever that ran when you loaded the Windsight wind page? All little sails ripping back & forth....no kites, SUPs, Wings.
The world changed.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Aug 23, 20 5:57 pm    Nice thread topic Reply with quote

Moondog

Appreciate the thread topic. It's nice to have some positive thoughts to reflect on during today's times of turmoil.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 23, 20 7:25 pm     Reply with quote

Something about windsurfing that some might not know? On a windsurfer, compared to a kite or foil of any kind, one is much more restricted in off-wind angles without coming off of a plane. That can explain some of the appearance of not giving way. I usually give WS right of way regardless. Just makes it easier.

Eric

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 23, 20 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

Me too! I’ve been stoked to see all the different wind and water activities. Long held tensions seem to be turning into triviality. Ya can’t hate all the OTHER wind users...when would one have time to be on the water carrying such a heavy hate-load?! I’ve talked to more WS peeps who haven’t given me the side eye when I say I’m a kiter!

Times is good on the water! Yippee!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Aug 23, 20 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
Something about windsurfing that some might not know? On a windsurfer, compared to a kite or foil of any kind, one is much more restricted in off-wind angles without coming off of a plane. That can explain some of the appearance of not giving way. I usually give WS right of way regardless. Just makes it easier.

Eric

As an old windsurfer I can relate to this.

At dougs a couple of weeks ago I was jumping and a wingy foiler shot up into "my zone". For a while I wondered why he didn't just veer off and give me my space. Then when I tried to follow him back upwind I realized he could shoot upwind much faster than I could.

hmmm I kinda feel like an old dog now...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: