Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More boulders and gate going in at Lyle today
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 09, 20 10:06 am     Reply with quote

It's a good spot. Good for beginners and flat water lovers but also there is river swell further west. Some would argue it's even better than the Event Site as the wind is often better especially on days when the cloud line is past Viento.

This issue of ticketing and enforcement seems to come up every summer when the crowds get big and/or the BNSF is feeling energetic. But with Covid, ES crowding etc that big ugly gate is perhaps an indication they are getting more serious about enforcement...at least until September when the summer crowds are gone.

Personally I don't go there any more because of the ticket risk, crowds that can be on par with other legal spots in the gorge and general hassle of access. But if I lived in Lyle I would get a jet ski, SUP or raft and just legally cross the Klickitat mouth to get to the sand bar.

Oh and we aren't supposed to talk about or encourage illegal access on the forum because "the man" is watching.

edcinfg

Since 17 Aug 2015
34 Posts
United States

PostSun Aug 09, 20 11:03 pm     Reply with quote

user124

What is the first rule of fight club ?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 10, 20 7:07 am     Reply with quote

edcinfg wrote:
user124

What is the first rule of fight club ?

LOL not sure if you saw this, but pretty sure "fight club" is no longer a secret Rolling Eyes

windpower

Since 27 Jul 2010
48 Posts
Hood River / Colorado

PostTue Aug 11, 20 11:20 am     Reply with quote

How deep is the river mouth, to cross from the boat launch to the sand spit?

And, if it's deep, couldn't one just swim across with gear piled on a small pool raft? Is there a downside to that, other than people finding the cold water annoying?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 11, 20 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

I used to wade across the mouth at This time of year and did not even get multiple kites wet. Just depends on how the sand bar shapes up every year. Buy a cheap surfboard and paddle across with all your stuff. Wetsuit on and its on!! Still can cross under the bridge ! We used to launch from the spot where you start the crossing. We put a few concrete anchors in for early spring. Gots to be able to pull the teeeet out of your mouth when the sand bar is like a snatch patch or missing !! Be nice to the tribe over there or your stuff might not be in the same shape as when you left it. Pay them for your security with beer and 🍷

doubleb

Since 29 Jul 2008
54 Posts
Lyle

PostWed Aug 12, 20 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

Justsmile wrote:
Be nice to the tribe over there or your stuff might not be in the same shape as when you left it. Pay them for your security with beer and 🍷

Wow, that comment was alarmingly racist. The natives here are a valued part of our little community and implying that they will break your shit if you don't bribe them with booze is ignorant.

If we want legal access to the sandbar, winning over the local community is an important piece of the puzzle. Comments like that on a public forum only make it harder.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 12, 20 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

It was not a racist comment. It’s a fact. Is it the tribes land? Yes. Are there people who live off the land residents down there? Yes. Invite some people to park there by not making a donation and see how their stuff is when you get back. That’s a nice word to throw out on a forum.
There are many challenged communities and unfortunately it does not matter what there background is you have to pay to play. It is the tribes land over there so if you want access you take care of the individuals there. Saying hello and driving by in your ride with stickers and Packasport on top does not cut it. I know this for a fact as I know people that are not trust fund babies have their stuff permanently borrowed. They have seen all the trust fund babies who feel entitled to kite in the inlet and that is directly being disrespectful to the residents that live in that immediate area. Maybe all the Lyle kiters need to step up and stop all the kiters playing in the inlet messing up fishing which is the major root of their anger towards the kiting community.
Putting a post on a forum is not what has kept the access In question. My wife is Indian so you don’t know shit to call me racist which you did when you state it is that type of comment. Maybe you need to venture out of Lyle and take a look at less Lucky communities. We used to kayak in a spot that if you did not take care of the ex biker that lived across the street who happened to spend 20 years in jail for killing a Texas cop your stuff or your car would not be in the same shape as it was when you left it. Calling him a biker is not racist it’s a fact. Be proud of your heritage and stop being so hypersensitive.
I grew up in the inner city and did not fit most people’s stereotypes but I respected them And you did what you needed to survive. Maybe this will help clarify my statement and If it doesn’t ; well. Anyone who knows me knows that I have done what I can for anyone no matter their background.

No forum is going to get bnsf to put a million dollar bridge over their tracks working with all communities and the state of Washington road department. It won’t ever happen and everyone who can’t read and respect the bnsf signs deserves the 1000 dollar ticket for not being able to read and think they are more special than the owners of the access.

Last edited by Justsmile on Wed Aug 12, 20 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 12, 20 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

paragraphs help sometimes

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 12, 20 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

Fight Club Rule for Newbies.
The truth, straight and to the point.

Quote:
No forum is going to get bnsf to put a million dollar bridge over their tracks working with all communities and the state of Washington road department. It won’t ever happen and everyone who can’t read and respect the bnsf signs deserves the 1000 dollar ticket for not being able to read and think they are more special than the owners of the access.

www.Purestokesports.com

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 13, 20 7:47 pm     Reply with quote

Driving home from Rufus today, and could not believe how many kiters there were at Lyle, and quite a few in the Klickitat River, Are we no longer cooperating with the fishermen/women and just a free for all?

coup

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 14, 20 6:40 am     Reply with quote

Justsmile wrote:
Be nice to the tribe over there or your stuff might not be in the same shape as when you left it. Pay them for your security with beer and 🍷

International rules of wisdom.

Whether you are riding in Hawaii, Mexico, California, Oregon, Washington, Texas, or any of the many other sites we travel to kite.

When kiting at a place you don't normally call home (or even if you do), take the time to make friends with other users of the land / water. Make an effort to learn what their concerns might be with your kiting around them. Then make an effort to try to be considerate of their concerns.

A little friendliness goes a long way.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 14, 20 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

So glad justsmile said something. This cancel culture crap is, well, crap!

If you’re gonna judge, be prepared TO BE judged. Fortunately, most keep their judgements to themselves. Too bad it’s not more often...

I’ve been going to Rowena and see more kiters at Lyle then previous years. I’ve only seen one boat.... these folks must have money to burn..

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 15, 20 8:05 am     Reply with quote

Last edited by wylieflyote on Mon Aug 17, 20 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostSat Aug 15, 20 6:10 pm     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
This just in. "Turkey in de Straw" that ice cream truck jingle that's likely playing on your street at this moment is deeply racist.

Yeah, but RZA from Wu Tang has a replacement. I dig it!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Aug 16, 20 8:43 am     Reply with quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev373c7wSRg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: