Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Moses 633 with a 450 rear wing any reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostMon Jul 27, 20 6:41 pm    Moses 633 with a 450 rear wing any reviews Reply with quote

I love the Moses 633 front wing , however when riding toeside the 483 rear feels very loose.
Anyone riding a 450 rear and is it more stable yet still turns well?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 27, 20 8:30 pm     Reply with quote

Lots of us are riding the 450 stabilizer, and it’s awesome. No downsides, all upside - exactly what you are looking for based on what you described. I also find it much more intuitive to control elevation when going down the face of swell/wave.

I found the entire set up even much better by simply switching out the 483 for a 450.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 28, 20 6:47 pm     Reply with quote

I used to ride the 633 and now I ride the 679 (similar to the 633). Always with the 483 rear wing. Probably over 300 sessions on the 483.

Today I tried the 450 stabilizer. I tried it with a -.5 degree shim to counter the additional lift it provides.

At first I didn't really notice a difference.
I'm glad I tried the shim - it felt balanced. Perfect amount of lift and feet were positioned as normal.
First thing I noticed was a smoother, muted ride. I suspect the 450 is stiffer and the winglets help it track better. The 483 gives more feedback. The 450 is quiet. I suspect the 483 - because it's so wide - gets hit with turbulence from the front wing.

After 20 minutes of tacking up to the Hatchery and riding downwind on swell.... I noticed a big difference. Freeride^^^^ says it's more intuitive to control elevation - that's what I found. It feels intuitive because it reacts to subtle foot pressure whereas the 483 - sometimes you need to stomp on the front foot to get it back down.

As far as speed, turn radius, and hip-swerving I didn't find a big difference.
Anyway I'm a convert and will switch to the 450.

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 28, 20 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

I should add - I’m riding a Stringy fuse which effectively moves the mast backwards about 1” compared to the OEM Moses fuse. I think Ldhr rides a OEM fuse, but not sure.

I didn’t notice a huge corresponding increase in front foot pressure, however I noticed it slightly increased, so my fuse and his shim might’ve effectively done the same thing.

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostTue Jul 28, 20 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

FreerideWhiteSalmon wrote:
I should add - I’m riding a Stringy fuse which effectively moves the mast backwards about 1” compared to the OEM Moses fuse. I think Ldhr rides a OEM fuse, but not sure.

I didn’t notice a huge corresponding increase in front foot pressure, however I noticed it slightly increased, so my fuse and his shim might’ve effectively done the same thing.

Thanks for the responses , I will try and get a 450

FreerideWhiteSalmon

Since 17 May 2012
64 Posts

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 28, 20 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

And sorry...mast forward is what I meant to say. DOH!

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostThu Aug 06, 20 9:27 pm     Reply with quote

I am curious as to why the 450 is more popular than the 330 , which would have less lift than the 450 , yet a similar controlled ride.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 06, 20 10:16 pm     Reply with quote

phill wrote:

I am curious as to why the 450 is more popular than the 330 , which would have less lift than the 450 , yet a similar controlled ride.

Since the 330 is a stabilizer wing, it's not just about lift, it's about balance. The 633 has a lot of lift so the 330 is just too small to balance and stabilize the the 633 so you lose some pitch stability. 450 is a better match.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 07, 20 6:08 pm     Reply with quote

OK then... What's the review of a 420 on a 633, or a large Stringy wing? I've been on the 450 for 9 months (Mexico, Puget Sound, Gorge) and I love it. Sold the 483. My only downside is these larger stabilizers prevent me from winning any drag races.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 07, 20 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

I tried the 420 and the 425. Looked both a lot. I liked the 425 more. But, Moses does not make the 425 anymore, much to the dismay of many.

Moses, reading this?

In an event, you may like the 420/421 a lot too. You gain speed and it reduces lift. So you do lose some altitude stability--a bit too much for my taste.

425 is the younger faster kid brother of the 450. Really great upgrade for me!

Moses--bring back the 425...

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 07, 20 11:00 pm     Reply with quote

Not sure about the accuracy of this info, as we have a shipment of 425 Stabilizers arriving at Pure Stoke this next week.
It's been a challenge for our distributor due to import challenges, but as far as I am aware, the 425 still exists.

eric wrote:
I tried the 420 and the 425. Looked both a lot. I liked the 425 more. But, Moses does not make the 425 anymore, much to the dismay of many.

Moses, reading this?

In an event, you may like the 420/421 a lot too. You gain speed and it reduces lift. So you do lose some altitude stability--a bit too much for my taste.

425 is the younger faster kid brother of the 450. Really great upgrade for me!

Moses--bring back the 425...

www.Purestokesports.com

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 09, 20 10:24 am     Reply with quote

I tried the 450 with my 633 front wing yesterday. It felt more stable, not as twitchy. It felt like it tracked thru the water smoother not responding to ever little water density change. I felt more “glued” to the water and it made nice stable turns easier. I have the Stringfellow fuselage and need to move the mast back 1/2 inch for less front foot pressure. I also felt it was slower than the 483 but that is a good thing in my case!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: