Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Surfboard fiber cloth/Carbon source in Portland?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
runaway

Since 31 Aug 2010
66 Posts
Anchorage

PostSun Jul 26, 20 10:19 am    Surfboard fiber cloth/Carbon source in Portland? Reply with quote

Flying back to Alaska soon and want to take some fiberglass cloth home with me in my back. Is there a place to buy bulk here in Hood River or any recommendations also can go to Redmond or Portland

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 26, 20 11:09 am     Reply with quote

Search for "fiberglass" and a number of related threads will come up. You can buy fiberglass at Home Depot or Lowe's but it's a heavier weave.

Here's one: http://nwkite.com/forums/t-41577.html

Also: http://nwkite.com/forums/t-31191.html

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 26, 20 12:44 pm     Reply with quote

Nobody in Portland, Hood River or the Gorge.

Shaper Supply in Hillsboro (20 minute west from PDX) - you can place an order and go there for pickup.

Or you can order from Fiberglass Supply in Washington and have it sent to you. They are usually 2 day delivery.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 26, 20 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

I picked up everything I needed for repairs at TAP plastics. NE Sandy Blvd. Close to the big liquor store and Schwab.

Resins, glass cloth, fillers, everything.

https://www.tapplastics.com/

Most of the water sports shops in HR carry the $15 repair kit. It’ll do most small dings.

Napa has heavier cloth and both polyester and epoxies. Geared more towards auto body work. Good selection of spray paints as well.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 26, 20 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
I picked up everything I needed for repairs at TAP plastics. NE Sandy Blvd. Close to the big liquor store and Schwab.

Resins, glass cloth, fillers, everything.

Sweet! I stand corrected. They have S-glass in 4 and 6 oz.... 30 inch wide.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 27, 20 9:30 am     Reply with quote

You might give Aircraft Spruce a look. They carry fiberglass, Kevlar, CF... along with West Systems and a host of other sticky, goopy, smelling things. Not sure it's exactly what you are looking for, but they have been my go-to for several years for chromoly tubing and other building materials (usually good prices and great shipping rates).
Last edited by deminimis on Mon Jul 27, 20 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostMon Jul 27, 20 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

And close to the liquor store, win win! Smile

I also get my cloth and supplies shipped from Fibreglass Supply in Burlington WA. Shipped to Canada, so I am sure it goes to Alaska too. (and I bet cheaper than to Canada even though further)

I have also ordered from US Composites, I have lately found they are 30-40% lower prices than F-S. They also have deals on short roll carbon...the 9oz at $6-9/yd is cheap! But be advised it is super stiff, a little challenging to wrap rails.

http://www.uscomposites.com/shortroll.html

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 27, 20 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

Excellent selection of singlemalts at the liquor store!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: