Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More boulders and gate going in at Lyle today
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jul 20, 20 11:40 am    Pics please? Reply with quote

How about some pics for the new fence and boulders?

I'm all for spreading out the riders and having more launch sites.

It seems like a pretty simple solution to me. . . get a wave runner and launch from Lyle or Rowena. Go in on it with a few friends. Take on some liability and offer some taxi rides to those who don't have a boat/wave runner and subsidize your purchase.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 20, 20 11:47 am    wave runner Reply with quote

Please don't post about wave runners Don't give them any ideas.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 20, 20 2:04 pm     Reply with quote

I remember that one. Lots of lawyer fees and pain.

wylieflyote wrote:
shred_da_gorge wrote:
The two paths I know of there both require you to cross the train tracks to get to the beach.

Yes, There has been mention here of a path to walk underneath the Lyle tracks. Ain't so. The RR track bridge pier is mounted on shear cliffs with a long fall.

Also, I have a Seattle friend who's RR violation (windsurfing) followed him for several decades with job applications, etc. Not something to take lightly.

Obakarama

Since 29 Jun 2019
47 Posts

PostWed Jul 22, 20 4:48 pm    What a fraud this BNSF is. Reply with quote

Just so everyone knows, these suckers are taking subsidies ( our tax money ) and they won't let us simply cross their stupid track. That is ridicules. I don't kite there but I feel the pain of those who do. Just like the logging companies putting gates on forest roads build by a tax payers money. There ain't no justice for all.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 22, 20 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

Two years ago I was working with the county commissioner, David Sauter, who lives in Lyle, so he really wanted to make this work . We were dealing with at least five agencies 1) BNSF 2) WDOT 3) Yakama Nation 4) Klickitat County and believe it or not 5) the Forest Service who basically controls the sandbar. Everyone else controls the ACCESS to the bar.

The roadblocks, funding and hoops to jump thru made it impossible to get forward momentum. The Yakama Nation has no interest in giving up what little we have left them with. They and fishermen DO NOT appreciate kiters in the smooth Klickitat water downwind of the bar. Kiters seem to ignore this request and with all of the other issues we threw our hands up and went home!

I'm pretty sure tickets will be coming soon!

ivog2001

Since 29 Jul 2011
23 Posts
PNW

PostWed Jul 22, 20 7:21 pm     Reply with quote

Today around 2pm I was about to go there from the back under the bridge and by the rr tracks the sheriff was waiting, presumably to ticket people or maybe just issue warnings. I turned back and went elsewhere. I don't know what happened to the 20 or so kiters there and the families on the beach....

lldkr

Since 01 Jun 2012
47 Posts

PostWed Jul 22, 20 10:11 pm     Reply with quote

called it, right after they announced reduced parking at the event site

if we're lucky, this is to mitigate mass migration to Lyle as ES locks down more and more, and next year -- if any of us are left and the virus is mostly stamped out -- they will lax again.

last year was by far the busiest ive seen in a decade of kiting at lyle, with this year being a close second. closing this spot puts more of a strain on the ES which is already buckling under overcrowding (covid or not). it's not like most of the Lyle regulars are going to make Rufus their after-work spot.

kiting is cancelled

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 23, 20 12:32 pm    Re: wave runner Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Please don't post about wave runners Don't give them any ideas.

Dude

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostThu Jul 23, 20 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

What's the best boat launch to access via jetski . . . is it Mayer State Park on the Oregon side or is there a boat ramp nearby on the WA side?

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 23, 20 9:49 pm     Reply with quote

There is a boat ramp East of the bar. You access it thru the Native American in lieu site. Head for the hotel in town and stay to your right after crossing over the bridge.

Chuckster

Since 07 Sep 2018
12 Posts
Tigard

PostMon Jul 27, 20 9:16 am    Business opportunity Reply with quote

Someone is going to be smart soon and offer fee for boat transport. Not a bad gig.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jul 27, 20 10:12 am    Re: Business opportunity Reply with quote

Chuckster wrote:
Someone is going to be smart soon and offer fee for boat transport. Not a bad gig.

In 18 years of kiting, I've kited there once. Not my gig and so I don't have a "dog in this fight." But I like more kite location options as it helps by decreasing the strain on other kiting locations. That said, I'll throw a question to the crowds that do kite Lyle.

How much would you pay for a roundtrip taxi ride from the Lyle boat ramp to the jetty for your session?

I'm thinking if some poor soul actually took on this as a business it would be like herding cats. Not to mention the liability insurance that would be required. Hell, look at the ski resorts. They have a disclaimer on their lift tickets and they still get sued.

Back to herding cats aka kiters. . . I lost my board; my kite bladder blew and the Oregon side of the river was the closest out and I didn't have a cell to call you; I left my bar back at the car; I need water and sunscreen and I didn't put them in my bag.

Too many scenarios to list and I wouldn't hold your breath and waiting for the taxi service to appear.

So if your going to kite Lyle and want to do it legally, I'm saying get a wave runner or some type of boat. To justify the purchase, factor in the $1000 ticket and time spent dealing w/the violation as a down payment.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 27, 20 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Get one of these and you'll be golden .

Waverunner and Sled.jpg 
   o3.jpg 

trailboss

Since 08 Aug 2006
95 Posts
HR

PostMon Jul 27, 20 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

Speaking to the cops out there the other day (I wasn't crossing the tracks) I asked him if he thought there could be any solution. He mentioned all the parties involved: Forest Service, Railroad, State, Tribes, Lyle etc. and all the difficulties bringing that many people together presents, but still he thought a pedestrian overpass (millions of $) would solve the issue. That got me thinking about other options..... It is legal to pass under both bridges on/in the water. There is a trail under the road bridge. What about a scaffold walkway for under the railroad bridge, and if the railroad wouldn't agree to affixing it to the underside of their bridge what about a floating dock type walkway to allow people to pass under the bridge to get to the sandbar?

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 27, 20 2:15 pm    Re: What a fraud this BNSF is. Reply with quote

Obakarama wrote:
There ain't no justice for all.

This is likely about liability and justice is irrelevant. (It's also not just about kiting).

As I mentioned in another recent thread, although over 70% of my Hood River taxes support local public schools (and community college bonds), it doesn't give me the right to waltz onto school grounds and play with the kiddies at recess.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 27, 20 11:24 pm    Via Ferrata Reply with quote

Since most people already have a harness - this might be a cheap fix...

VIA FERRATA

https://youtu.be/L1AqnIcxcRs

Mc

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 28, 20 10:29 am     Reply with quote

Last edited by wylieflyote on Mon Aug 17, 20 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: