Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Liquid Force Max Flo fail... anybody got advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 08, 20 4:52 pm    Liquid Force Max Flo fail... anybody got advice? Reply with quote

So, it happens every so often. Down on the sandbar, all dressed and ready to go. Pumping up...and pumping....and it won’t stay hard. Not going to get a ride with this going on. Such a let down.

My Solo’s max flo valve seems to have given up, the red flapper thing is just loose in there. I remember a pretty hard crash yesterday and the thing seemed funky when I opened the cap to deflate. Didn’t think about. Now, it’s not closing and holding air.

Anybody have any tips or tricks? Any way to get the red thing back where it belongs? Seems like it was hinged on one side.

I’d be happy to use the auxiliary 9mm valve, but I need to seal up the max flo. Anybody tried sliconing the cap and using the 9mm?

Other than this valve issue, it’s a solid kite, my bread and butter for foiling. 6.5 meter.

If I can’t McGiver something, next stop is Airtime for a new bladder. $150. Which is fine, they do a great job. Just like to try some DIY first. Could save somebodies trip, airtime isn’t always just down the street.

Thanks!

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 09, 20 8:19 am    Keeping gear running past its prime. Reply with quote

A little more investigation and the valve is toast. It spit the red tongue flapper thing out at me.

The screw on valve cap has a rubber gasket in it as well, and if screwed firmly on prevents or keeps leakage to a minimum. I'd noticed it seemed to be hissing a bit when I unscrewed it to deflate.

I pumped the kite with the auxiliary 9mm valve and the cap screwed down tight, and it held air with no signs of leakage. I'm hoping I can ride it like that. Might have to add to or replace the gasket at some point.

Also have an 2011 Naish Park that totally shit the bed, every valve in the notorious octopus system fell off. My McGiver solution was to bypass the whole system, patching over the octopus holes and installing a new inflate valve from airtime.

Now I have to inflate the battens individually, (good times! we all remember this, right?)
And deflating requires a pokey thing to let the air out the inflate. Oh, yeah, and a pair of needle nose to pinch the batten valves....

But it holds air.

I wouldn't ride this stuff in the cold or extreme conditions, but for foiling around on warm days near the event site, it'll be fine.

Really missing the swaps this year, I could use a couple upgrades.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Jul 09, 20 7:26 pm     Reply with quote

I am fairly certain that you can replace the Max-Flow valve without replacing the entire bladder. Check with Pepi at Pure Stoke Sports (old 2nd Wind) or Airtime or call LF customer service. Blaine is still handling their customer service for a while.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 10, 20 6:53 am     Reply with quote

Thanks! Blaine has already made contact. Really cool!

I'm sure this one will fly again.

GreasyRick

PostSat Mar 27, 21 7:50 am     Reply with quote

Hey I had this happen to me yesterday on my LF envy 7m. The red tongue thing somehow detached and came flying out the valve. I shoved it back in hoping the pressure would hold it in place to no avail.

Curious what you ended up doing? Im guessing ill try a full valve replacement. The kite is solid otherwise but probably not worth getting a new bladder.

Rick

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 27, 21 7:57 am     Reply with quote

In the end, I dropped it off at Airtime for a new LE bladder. $150. Quick turn around.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Mar 27, 21 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

We can still service LF warranty or parts needs if anyone ever needs help. Some parts may be limited availability, but as mentioned above, Blaine at LF is managing the remaining parts inventory and doing a great job at helping people out when he can.

Otherwise, as mentioned above also, Airtime. Airtime is the bomb for bladder, valves and keeping your kite airtight.

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: