Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Favorite River Swell Surf Board
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
russiandangle

Since 28 Jun 2019
21 Posts
Park City, Ut

PostSat Jun 06, 20 4:37 am    Favorite River Swell Surf Board Reply with quote

What are some favorite river swell boards for the gorge. Ive been riding the cab secret weapon (high volume sudo fish quad in 5'6") and looking for an upgrade. I have a slingy tyrant i ride, but it is not quiet as enjoyable.

Saildoogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
77 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostSat Jun 06, 20 6:55 am     Reply with quote

I ride a Duotone whip 5’2”
Love it. Very snappy.
Doogie

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 06, 20 7:37 am     Reply with quote

Something from North Pacific. They have a designer/shaper who is intimate with Gorge swell. I like the Waterbug, but there's a fleet of shapes

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Jun 06, 20 7:38 am     Reply with quote

River swell at good locations with current opposing the wind, suits under size boards very well. Personally I prefer quads versus thrusters for strapped riding. Strapless is pretty smooth on thrusters.

That said, it's been years since I've ridden anything besides the kite fish with quad fins strapped. With that board in that configuration, I can kind of cheat by using one board for all conditions. I call it cheating because I don't have to get used to a bunch of different things on different boards on different sessions. There's no question that it's a pretty boring board and you have to throw it around, because it won't throw itself around like really nice quads.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Jun 06, 20 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Everyone is going to give a different answer for their favorite, of course. Walk into any of the shops in the Hood and ask or pick one off the rack. No one is making crap these days. Demo, of course.
My favorite these days (and yes, it changes regularly, is Tomo's Evo very small size. Smooth, fast, and can throw it around easily. Jumps a treat, too.

russiandangle

Since 28 Jun 2019
21 Posts
Park City, Ut

PostSat Jun 06, 20 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the .02, I guess I should elaborate that I have been looking at the whip, and evo in 5' range. For thrusters, my only experience has been with a 3 fin set on a 5'11 tomo which was the equivilant of riding a battleship. I don't care for the tyrant too much as it has no width on the tail and im not great at foot work on it as the ass just sinks, going upwind if not lit is also a bitch for me and I never felt like I could lock in on a rail for floaty carves like i can on the secret weapon.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jun 06, 20 3:16 pm    Celero FR Reply with quote

I have a 5’6” Slingshot Celero you are welcome to try ! It seems to be a great river swell and small ocean swell board . All new construction , you will think it is hand shaped and glassed Alien

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSat Jun 06, 20 10:52 pm     Reply with quote

I've always liked quads for kiting swell but have converted some of my boards to twins. Go a little shorter and wider but with plenty of nose rocker. Just a thought if you have something custom built. Fins would be moved back from where front fins on quad would be so not just a matter of removing trailers.

-Hein

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 07, 20 10:50 am    Re: Celero FR Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
I have a 5’6” Slingshot Celero you are welcome to try ! It seems to be a great river swell and small ocean swell board . All new construction , you will think it is hand shaped and glassed Alien

Friend just purchased the Celero 5'6" to replace his well used dead Celeritas 5'8". He loves it. Gorge, Puget Sound, LV, LB

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jun 07, 20 10:16 pm    Re: Favorite River Swell Surf Board Reply with quote

russiandangle wrote:
What are some favorite river swell boards for the gorge. Ive been riding the cab secret weapon (high volume sudo fish quad in 5'6") and looking for an upgrade. I have a slingy tyrant i ride, but it is not quiet as enjoyable.

I think I might take "River Swell Surf Board" out of the question.

I think it is more about your style of riding.

Most people seem to gravitate towards a board that matches their style (I am one of these people). They have a style of riding they like and they enjoy a board that promotes that style.

A few riders have an array of boards so they can practice different styles.

Aside from the few riders referenced above I find that a riders style is their style. They use the same techniques whether they are in river swell, flat water, or ocean surf. Their style is their style.

If you are one of the few that wants to develop multiple styles, demo and buy multiple boards. If you are like most of us, simply buy the board that promotes your own personal style.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jun 08, 20 5:43 am    Re: Favorite River Swell Surf Board Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:

I think I might take "River Swell Surf Board" out of the question.

I think it is more about your style of riding.

I think that the OP's suggestion that River swell is different than ocean swell or waves, is spot-on. Even in windsurfing, boards were geared specifically for the gorge swell as opposed to waves on the ocean. bigjohn's suggestion that style trump's condition, has certainly not played out for me nor have I seen it work that way.

That said, you can force fit pretty much any board into any condition with a kite. But for the ideal fit, conditions still are of primary concern.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 08, 20 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Let me elaborate.

Limiting scope to surfboards I might see these general categories:

Strapless surfer: Tends to ride a couple of kite sizes down from others. Plays on the same wave/swell longer than others. Tends not to jump or race through the bottom of the swell as much as others.

Strapless speedster: Tends to jump and ride fast. Usually rides pretty powered up. A lot of power bottom turns on larger waves/swell. Always looking for that perfect setup such that they can boost.

Strapped surfer: Similar to the strapless speedster except jumping with straps.

There are of course many variations in between but most people I know tend to have their favorite board and ride that same board no matter where they are.

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 08, 20 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

Sligshot Celero FR, magic!

coup

russiandangle

Since 28 Jun 2019
21 Posts
Park City, Ut

PostMon Jun 08, 20 3:59 pm     Reply with quote

I ride strapless surf, and the goal is to be more playful on the faces, more park and ride vs. using kite power to stay on. I want to stay on a face with turns down the line, as opposed to jumping and busting through waves across the whole river.

earthsurfer526

Since 11 Jan 2009
54 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostMon Jun 08, 20 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

I love my Firewire Tomo Evo in 5'1". One of the best strapless board for the gorge that I have ridden. It surfs great, good pop off the lip. Can be ridden as a quad or thruster. And best of all... I have not broken it yet!!!

https://firewiresurfboards.com/products/evo-kiteboard?sku=HEVO-410-3-KTE-3WH

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jun 08, 20 9:33 pm     Reply with quote

earthsurfer526 wrote:
I love my Firewire Tomo Evo in 5'1". One of the best strapless board for the gorge that I have ridden. It surfs great, good pop off the lip. Can be ridden as a quad or thruster. And best of all... I have not broken it yet!!!

https://firewiresurfboards.com/products/evo-kiteboard?sku=HEVO-410-3-KTE-3WH

My style is definitely not strapless surf... Also, I have never ridden a firewire tomo. However, I know people who are strapless surf types that have told me they like the firewire tomo. This might be a board worth consideration.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 08, 20 9:50 pm     Reply with quote

I'll third a demo of the Celero (Windance should have one). I bought Jon's last year and have grow into it from an older Angry Swallow, which I still love in the quad configuration in lighter wind. I use a foot hook in the front as a 'training wheel' in choppy conditions because I'm not where I want to be yet with strapless skills. It's fast but still manageable, and planes through lulls much nicer than the Tyrant I tried. (I'm 180# and ride the 5'8").

That said I would love to try a quad in a similar shape and have seen some North Pacific boards that fit the bill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: