Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site to remain closed for Memorial Day weekend
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Campbell

Since 07 Sep 2008
409 Posts
Camas, WA
Obsessed

PostThu May 21, 20 6:17 pm     Reply with quote

Tell me what’s the difference between you driving 10 minutes to rig and launch your kite, get a session and drive home and me driving 60 minutes to rig, launch my kite, get a session and drive home? Sorry, that’s not what it’s about. Kiter’s in general are very responsible people who care about people in their community and can be trusted to act in a responsible manner. If you’re telling me to stay home because you’re staying at home and not kiting out of a concern for public safety, I can respect that. If you’re telling me you’re going down to the beach to go kiting but I should stay home, I’ll tell you to go pound sand.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri May 22, 20 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

It should be noted, that myself and most of the local Hood River Kite community are actually not kiting right now.
I went down to the Spit last week to take my first session of the year and ended up turning around because it looked busy and I did not recognize a single face in the crowd.

You are welcome to kite at the Spit this weekend, it will likely be only out-of-towners. Just make sure to bring your own garbage and toiletry bags(bathrooms and garbage are not being serviced), and be careful when launching in the deeper river current off of the point. With this weekends high waters, you will likely be launching old-school style from the parking lot and either riding or hoofing it quickly out past the kitekiller point.

Lastly, if you do come to town, please be chill, do it with with kindness so you and others can enjoy the experience.
If you choose to listen to the state health department's instructions for everyone to stay near to home, then just know the Gorge will always be here and the majority of us local residents out here will likely still not be kiting or riding until life gets a bit safer and saner. (*I won't lie, as I am dying to kite. But with everyone's bitching and moaning online, I don't want to be around this in person at the beach).

Attitude is everything, both good and bad. Make your choice on what you want to see and share.

Campbell wrote:
Tell me what’s the difference between you driving 10 minutes to rig and launch your kite, get a session and drive home and me driving 60 minutes to rig, launch my kite, get a session and drive home? Sorry, that’s not what it’s about. Kiter’s in general are very responsible people who care about people in their community and can be trusted to act in a responsible manner. If you’re telling me to stay home because you’re staying at home and not kiting out of a concern for public safety, I can respect that. If you’re telling me you’re going down to the beach to go kiting but I should stay home, I’ll tell you to go pound sand.

www.Purestokesports.com

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri May 22, 20 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:

If you choose to listen to the state health department's instructions for everyone to stay near to home, then just know the Gorge will always be here and the majority of us local residents out here will likely still not be kiting or riding until life gets a bit safer and saner. (*I won't lie, as I am dying to kite. But with everyone's bitching and moaning online, I don't want to be around this in person at the beach).

You know it's funny so many Hood River folks keep preaching to listen to the state health department for the health of the community, yet Hood River does not practice what they preach.

Every hotel and vacation rental company in Hood River is currently accepting reservations for vacationers to come and stay with immediate availability and no apparent criticism from Hood River locals. Many other Hood River and gorge businesses are open actively soliciting business. But the port claims it can't open the event site because it's too hard to clean the bathrooms twice per day?

No effort has been made to discourage Hood River residents from traveling to other areas and bringing infections back. Yet somehow we are supposed to believe that Hood River locals are safer so only people living in Hood River county should be allowed on public forest land. Ridiculous, discriminatory and legally unenforceable rules are proposed requiring ID showing local residency status to visit these forests (I'm done with HRTA BTW). And kiters on this forum and elsewhere promote a locals only attitude with thinly veiled threats to "outsiders".

The mixed messaging and hypocrisy are painfully laughable. As I said before, I haven't been to Hood River for months and have no immediate plans to visit. But I've spent a lot of time and money there in the past and hope to return when the time is right. A consistent stance and some introspection regarding risky activity on the part of hood river residents would go a long way towards helping your community get safely back to normal as soon as possible with minimal economic damage. BTW Pepi you seem level headed and reasonable so realize this is not necessarily aimed at you.

Last edited by user124 on Fri May 22, 20 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

zipperline

Since 02 Aug 2005
66 Posts
Hood River

PostFri May 22, 20 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Well said Pepi.. You have always been a voice of reason in the Hood.

I'm going to add my 2 cents. I have lived here 25 years and visiting Hood River since 1987. I am by no means a local but my son and daughter are.

Plain and simple stay in your zone county town etc and play there... Things will hopefully mellow out soon but now is not the time to come here and act like you own the river bike trails hiking trails etc...

Post canyon is littered with Cali plates Ontario plates Colorado Montana and others.

Not the time for a vacation in my opinion..

There has bee a change in the vibe in Hood River in the last 10 or so years. Not the same stoke and comradory that there used to be.

Same at Meadows......

We want tourism for sure but not at the cost of someone's life.

Have some respect and wait a bit to recreate...

GreasyRick

PostFri May 22, 20 3:14 pm     Reply with quote

As long as we're all bitching there were a fair number of people crossing the event site. Now I don't really give a shit but if I'm gonna shlog all my shit from the spit I don't want to look up and see some local sprinter-van-foiler waltzing over from the event site.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri May 22, 20 6:02 pm     Reply with quote

I went down to check out the scene on my way home from work. Parked in the west lot by north wave, and strolled down the riverfront path to watch from the west end of the event site.

Nice day, twenty five kites out and a few on the sandbar. And a steady parade of folks walking back and forth across the event site to the sandbar.

Now, I’m not saying that they were all kiters, but they were wearing wetsuits and carting kite gear.

Past dozens of “closed” signs.

“ Jeez, the spit must be parked out or something!” But no, spit has twenty rigs and a mix of dog people and kiters. Plenty of room at the marina as well.

It’s day one, and this is the best we can do?

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSat May 23, 20 11:30 pm    Directions for those who struggle with reading? Reply with quote

All,

Happy to report lots of smiles and everyone keeping safe distance on the very small sandbar - extra shout out to the mayor (unknown kindly kiter) who took control of launch & land for most of the afternoon (SAT 5/24). Solid wind too +

Plenty of parking and refreshing walk thru the cool river back and forth to the spit.

How do we best keep the few lost souls that may wander into the CLOSED areas informed and in compliance to preserve the limited access that exists today?

During busy times would it help to have a human sign with a bullhorn, maybe a friendly mascot?? Just seems like we could do even better with a little more ________TBD...

Mc

Mikeb

Since 22 Oct 2006
231 Posts
Troutdale and Hood River Or
Stoked

PostSun May 24, 20 8:23 am    Open Up The Event Site NOW Reply with quote

IT's time to open the event site! NOW! This makes no sense to keep it closed. This on going shut down is Ridiculous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: