Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site to remain closed for Memorial Day weekend
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 18, 20 12:20 pm    Event Site to remain closed for Memorial Day weekend Reply with quote

The Port Commission has a meeting Tuesday night (5/19) and will decide whether to open the Event Site for Memorial Day weekend.

I'm sending an email to the commissioners encouraging them to open.
I believe the access to the Sandbar from the Spit has gone well.... but there's limited parking down there. The lot filled up last Sunday....we're gonna need more parking for the coming weekends and holidays.

Here are the email addresses of the commissioners in case anyone else want to send a letter.

jeveritt@portofhoodriver.com, bsheppard@portofhoodriver.com, dmeriwether@portofhoodriver.com, kchapman@portofhoodriver.com, hstreich@portofhoodriver.com

Here's my letter:
Port Commissioner,
I’m writing to encourage you to support the opening of the Event Site for Kiting and windsurfing….ASAP.

I’ve lived in Hood River since 1992, owned a home, paid taxes, children went to school here (K-12). I voted for all of you.

I think the decision to open access to the Sandbar from the Spit was a wise decision.
I believe the experience has gone well and should encourage the Port to now open the Event Site Parking for access to the Sandbar.

Last Sunday the Spit parking lot was 99% full. People remained calm and kept their distances….
However - I believe the next sunny and windy day that falls on the weekend…. the Spit parking lot will fill up, overflow, and force people into tight quarters.
I envision people parking along the dirt access road. I envision them parking on the road adjacent to the Event Site and accessing the Sandbar via the Event Site.

People are going to come whether you open the Event Site or not……. It makes sense to open and collect parking fees.

Thank you for your consideration,

Last edited by ldhr on Wed May 20, 20 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon May 18, 20 1:15 pm    Event site Reply with quote

Don't open the event site please. Also close the spit until after monday.
The town and post canyon were over run by people on friday
Portland stay home. Evil or Very Mad

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 18, 20 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sending an email to the commissioners encouraging them to open

Great initiative; thanks for sharing the letter.

Agree that launching from the spit has gone well with plenty of room to distance. Parking space at the spit is limited and makes distancing harder than it needs to be. Makes sense to open the event site for parking.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostMon May 18, 20 3:20 pm    Re: Event site Reply with quote

wannabekiter wrote:
Don't open the event site please. Also close the spit until after monday.
The town and post canyon were over run by people on friday
Portland stay home. Evil or Very Mad

Boooo.. Time to adapt!

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostMon May 18, 20 3:28 pm     Reply with quote

I wrote to all of them also. I had a long conversation with Daryl (event site coordinator) today concerning pro and cons. If they do open it and we don’t physically distance We are setting ourselves up for an immediate shutdown. That means no hanging around before and after. Pump up, kite, land and get the hell out of there! We will be observed. We can do this!

Last edited by moondog on Tue May 19, 20 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostMon May 18, 20 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

Looking at the current water level and water flow forecast for the Dalles dam, the sand bar will very small, if not submerged for a while.

Launching off the grass might be the only game in town.

I agree that opening the event site parking would allow more social distancing. I hope we can do this safely.

Post Canyon is operating under “locals only” rules, but how’s that really working out?

The county by county reopening looks hinky. I don’t think anybody expects Portland to stay home over Memorial Day weekend. Luckily, it’s usually rainy and cold, because that’s a tradition in the great NW.

A sunny, windy, three day weekend? It’ll be a shit show.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 18, 20 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:
Launching off the grass might be the only game in town.

Time to dust off the windsurfing gear...

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon May 18, 20 5:47 pm    Event site Reply with quote

Screw you boo hoo

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostMon May 18, 20 9:55 pm     Reply with quote

Singlemalt wrote:

Post Canyon is operating under “locals only” rules, but how’s that really working out?

The county by county reopening looks hinky. I don’t think anybody expects Portland to stay home over Memorial Day weekend. Luckily, it’s usually rainy and cold, because that’s a tradition in the great NW.

A sunny, windy, three day weekend? It’ll be a shit show.

Agreed. I will be sending my emails to the port with other context.

In case you missed it..

Hood River Mayor Kate McBride said the county’s approval to enter Phase 1 of reopening is really only meant to benefit people who live in Hood River. She worries about a potential influx of visitors that the town isn’t ready to handle.

“I wish I could say it was but it is not an invitation to come to Hood River,” McBride told KOIN 6 News.

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/phase-1-is-not-an-invitation-to-come-to-hood-river/

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostTue May 19, 20 12:01 am     Reply with quote

Oregon restrictions ruled invalid.

Government officials across the nation who have been giddy with the extra power this pandemic has granted them are desperately trying to hold on but they are losing this battle. It is about time.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue May 19, 20 2:18 am     Reply with quote

oliver19 wrote:
Oregon restrictions ruled invalid.

Government officials across the nation who have been giddy with the extra power this pandemic has granted them are desperately trying to hold on but they are losing this battle. It is about time.

There are winners and losers in this, like anyting. Many locals who are independent to some degree of the economy, are also happy that tourism / travel has been reduced. But a few locals who are dependent on tourism / travel are seeing their livelihoods destroyed.

Government officials caught in between these two groups really only care about themselves anyway. That's why there are big differences in the approach that officials are taking. If you listen to those government officials, they're typically parroting what the most powerful local groups have expressed as their desire. The less powerful groups, and non-locals, mean nothing to them.

Obakarama

Since 29 Jun 2019
47 Posts

PostTue May 19, 20 7:12 am     Reply with quote

Everything needs to be open. Only that will prevent congestion. If people can go to the stores there is no danger in activities like kiteboardimg or windsurfing. There is a greater risk to go to Walmart. Besides, our only chance is to get collective immunity anyway. And this is not the way how we achieve it. If this is a home of the brave we need to stop being pussies and face it.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 19, 20 7:26 am     Reply with quote

How does one develop collective immunity without an approved vaccine?

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 19, 20 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Hi, Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here.....

I LIVE AT THE BASE OF HYAK SKI AREA, and work at Alpental. I'm here to tell you.... but the LOCALS cares about this subject matter as much as you! No matter which side your on (either to open the park or close it). THEY ARE COMMING. You must get signage ready and protect your town in the way you see fit. In my experience: people are more entitled than ever before. When we first got our stay at home orders in Washington.....Our parking lots at Hyak were COMPLETELY FULL! Central Lot 3/4 Full! Alpental upper lot in to the BC was FULL. Thousands of people fled to our ski area, including people snowmobiling on ski area property, and even ROCK Crawlers at the top of the ski area. I replaced locks on several of our out buildings. Some of the out buildings I replaced locks more than once, and one I replaced in the same day 2x. Where did they all go to the bathroom? Why did the rules not apply to them? Did they think to them selves that no one lives at the pass full time? Did they realize that we have elderly? I'm not telling you to shut down, and I'm telling you to have a REALLY GOOD plan on how to direct flows of traffic and people. Block you neighborhoods with signage, [u]Signage REALLY HELPED us, so did the presence of LEO's[/u] I'm telling you there coming. I've had a really difficult time not coming to the area to kite. I'm fortunate I have friends in town and have gotten the 411. This has kept me away. I'm going to wait my turn. If I come, I'm bringing my small RV to use the rest room in, shower in, eat in ect….I think what would be helpful is to post what's open and what's closed and what the general feeling of the locals are towards visitors. It may be best to open for RV's only. Good luck HR, Signage Signage Signage!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue May 19, 20 8:24 am     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:
How does one develop collective immunity without an approved vaccine?

Sweden's approach: Protect the vulnerable. Slow, but don't attempt to stop, the spread of the virus through the rest of the population. Multiple studies show that the vast majority--over 99%--of the population will have symptoms ranging from nothing to moderate cold-like symptoms. In New York, 99.2% of those hospitalized with Covid-19 had co-morbidities. Isolate and support the vulnerable to prevent over loading the health care system and to reduce the death toll as much as possible. Once enough of the population has natural immunity, there is no longer a path for the virus to reach the vulnerable.

Critics of Sweden's approach compare the higher death rate compared to Denmark and Germany. That's cherry picking the statistics though. Also, Sweden failed to properly protect those in nursing homes early on--as did New York. The early fatalities in nursing homes greatly increased their overall death rate. Today, Sweden's daily death toll would place them about #14 or #15 if they were a state in the US.

We know with absolute certainty that we will have another wave of Covid-19. And another. This is going to continue until we have a vaccine or reach collective immunity. It seems that most medical experts are saying we are looking at a year or more before we have a vaccine. If Sweden's approach is successful, they will either have no second wave or a greatly diminished one. It seems likely that a year from now Sweden's death rate (Deaths per million of the population) for the whole pandemic will be far lower than ours.

Obakarama

Since 29 Jun 2019
47 Posts

PostTue May 19, 20 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Exactly !! You get the collective immunity by an exposure of those who are not going to die. Pretty much all of us except the vulnerable. Sweden is not the only country with that approach. It is the faster way how to get through it and final results will be the same but it will take longer for us with much more severe economical damage. This is upside down strategy. When in a history of this world the healthy were locked in? How about NEVER. It was always that the sick were quarantined ! Fear is the greatest enemy. By the way, the nursing home fatalities in NY were caused by their governor himself. He ordered them on March 23rd to accept infected people in. There is no doubt about that.

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostTue May 19, 20 10:34 am     Reply with quote

The chances of getting this virus on a windy beach are essentially zero unless you are making out with a fellow kiter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: