Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: One wheel worth it? XR or Pint?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed May 06, 20 6:37 am    OT: One wheel worth it? XR or Pint? Reply with quote

Looks kinda fun but $$$?
Last edited by Wind Slither on Wed May 06, 20 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed May 06, 20 7:49 am    Re: OT: One wheel worth it? XL or Pint? Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Looks kinda fun but $$$?

I think it really depends on the kind of riding you'll be doing. I was debating the same thing a couple of weeks ago (Pint vs XR) and ended up going with a Pint because I wasn't sure how committed I was going to be after kite launches started to open up again. The XR is going to be more stable and have double the range and the Pint is a more nimble and carvy ride. If you're looking to kill an hour here and there and carve around a parking lot or your neighborhood then I'd go with a Pint. If you want to go out for longer rides or explore some off road trails then the XR would totally be worth it. I kind of wish I would have gone with an XR now because that thing can seriously crush trails, but carving around on a Pint is like butter. So maybe get both Laughing

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed May 06, 20 8:14 am     Reply with quote

Have you ridden one yet?

I would say it's not as fun or addictive as kiting, but the OneWheel does have lots of advantages.
Still cheaper than kiting
You can have a satisfying session in just 30 minutes since you don't have to wait for wind, drive a long way, pump/rig it up, put on a wetsuit, etc.
Like foiling, many people compare the feeling to that of snowboarding on fresh powder (at least when riding smooth pavement). Great for getting your pre-season carving fix or on days when the conditions don't line up or your schedule doesn't allow for real snowboarding or kiting.
In my opinion much better than an electric skateboard since you can roll right over small rocks and bumps/cracks in the pavement and you control it with your movements, not a hand held throttle.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostWed May 06, 20 8:52 am     Reply with quote

What about the Evolve GTR electric mountain/street board?

https://www.windance.com/E-Boards-E-Skateboards/?subcategory=Evolve%2BSkateboards

DrewB

Since 16 Aug 2006
381 Posts
PDX
Obsessed

PostWed May 06, 20 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

We got 2 Pints right when things shut down.
They have been SUPER fun for me and my boys (9 and 11).
Having two makes it way more fun to cruze the neighborhood with a buddy.
I'm 6'1" + 180# and the pint has plenty of power to go up hills and off-road.

I was dubious about stopping/starting and controlling them in general due to a brief (and horrifying) experience on a regular hover-board a few years back.
The learning curve is steep if you've got any board skills and I usually feel pretty safe.

Call Bob at Gorge and he'll have one ready for you at the curb!
Worth the money these days IMO.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed May 06, 20 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

DrewB wrote:
We got 2 Pints right when things shut down.
They have been SUPER fun for me and my boys (9 and 11).
Having two makes it way more fun to cruze the neighborhood with a buddy.
I'm 6'1" + 180# and the pint has plenty of power to go up hills and off-road.

I was dubious about stopping/starting and controlling them in general due to a brief (and horrifying) experience on a regular hover-board a few years back.
The learning curve is steep if you've got any board skills and I usually feel pretty safe.

Call Bob at Gorge and he'll have one ready for you at the curb!
Worth the money these days IMO.

I think I got the last one at Gorge Performance. They said they have more on back order which should hopefully be arriving soon and you can call to have your name put on the list so you get dibs. They said they usually average one sale per week but since the lockdown have been selling around 12 per week Shocked

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed May 06, 20 3:14 pm    O-O-O--O Reply with quote

Marcus O wrote:

I think I got the last one at Gorge Performance. They said they have more on back order which should hopefully be arriving soon and you can call to have your name put on the list so you get dibs. They said they usually average one sale per week but since the lockdown have been selling around 12 per week Shocked

YO, Marcus O,

Nice work scoring the last one!

Hopefully you controlled yourself till you got home and you didn't show Bob at GP your O FACE?! Razz Laughing

These things look hell-a-fun! Stay out of the ER.

Link

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed May 06, 20 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

I rode the pint today for the first time, it was fun. I have over 1k miles on my XR and love riding mtn bike trails around here in Bend. If you have the money, buy an XR!

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed May 06, 20 4:52 pm    Re: O-O-O--O Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Marcus O wrote:

YO, Marcus O,

Nice work scoring the last one!

Hopefully you controlled yourself till you got home and you didn't show Bob at GP your O FACE?! Razz Laughing

These things look hell-a-fun! Stay out of the ER.

Link

I managed to contain myself but it wasn't easy after he received a phone call asking if they had any Onewheels in stock and he had to tell the person they just sold the last one. Regarding safety - yes always wear a helmet and wrist guards! I was an idiot and thought I was too cool for safety gear until I sprained both of my wrists in two separate crashes. Best not to get over confident when first starting out. The ground hurts way more than water does Mad

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed May 06, 20 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

Also, if you are going to ride dirt a lot you can get a carvier tire with tread for the XR. Craft & Ride has them. Also has a magnetic fender that works great.

Marcus O

Since 30 May 2018
98 Posts

PostWed May 06, 20 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

Mrlaroo wrote:
I rode the pint today for the first time, it was fun. I have over 1k miles on my XR and love riding mtn bike trails around here in Bend. If you have the money, buy an XR!

Would you say the XR is more fun than the Pint? I'm considering picking up an XR so my wife can ride too but that means I'd have to convince her that it's not a death machine. I like how the Pint carves so easily but the range isn't great and I really have nothing to compare it to.

JK

Since 27 Jul 2011
9 Posts

Kook

PostThu May 07, 20 8:22 am     Reply with quote

I have had an XR for a year now and recently my neighbor picked up a Pint so I have had some time on it as well. They are both extremely fun, but ride different. The Pint has a smaller more rounded tire than the XR so turning, carving, maneuvering is much faster with less input than compared the XR.

We have went for a few rides together on various terrain and the Pint has kept up but the XR has the advantage in range, off-road capability, and acceleration/speed. Pint has advantages of price and maneuverability. Usually going on a ride the Pint will have 10% battery left at the end and the XR will be 30-40%. The tire of the XR makes for a more stable/controllable ride on off-road terrain (bumps, loose gravel, etc). On the XR I can pull away from the Pint fairly quickly and reach a higher top spped before pushback usually around 16mph for the Pint 19-20mph for the XR. Both are great and I find myself checking out the Pints more and more...for the kids!

They are not death machines if you know how to recognize pushback and pay attention to the surface (bumps holes etc) that you are riding. Also speed is a factor like anything...take it slow and easy. I did not follow the rules and the first day out with the XR I ignored the pushback from the board and nose dived it trying to set a speed record (25mph). After that lesson I listen to the board pushback and never have had a issue since.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 07, 20 9:49 am     Reply with quote

those look fun.
i found a bunch of youtube vids comparing them.
maybe after covid, and the financial situation settles i'll seek one out!

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 07, 20 2:02 pm     Reply with quote

I have the XR and I love it, but I am selling it because it doesn't love me. IM me.

When you crash, they will say "The majority of crashes are user error."

Then you will have three questions:

1. How can I avoid that next nose dive at 23.5 mph?
2. What is pushback exactly?
3. There is a OneWheel Crash Group on Facebook?

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri May 08, 20 10:52 am     Reply with quote

Thanks all. I scored a used Pint and it was love at first ride for me and my 2 boys 15 and 17. I think the dog is going to get "walked" a lot more now LOL. I consider myself to have above average balance but have never felt that comfortable on a skateboard. The OneWheel is amazingly intuitive.

The first night I was riding around well into cocktail hour and like many, found out the hard way about push back. I had been warned but didn't think I was pushing it that hard. Damn near broke my wrist.

Per Bob, another advantage of the Pint is you can fly with it as the battery is smaller and doesn't exceed the limit like the XR.

Thumb's Up

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostFri May 08, 20 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

Marcus O wrote:
Mrlaroo wrote:

Would you say the XR is more fun than the Pint? I'm considering picking up an XR so my wife can ride too but that means I'd have to convince her that it's not a death machine. I like how the Pint carves so easily but the range isn't great and I really have nothing to compare it to.

I would, simply cause it is more versatile. They are dangerous, just make sure you buy fangs when you order the board and also if you rip mtn bike trails like me, armor up! I have a buris tire on mine and it carves great!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed May 13, 20 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

I've had mine for a couple years now and still love it - basically use to go ride with my kids while they are on bikes for simple rides around the neighborhood...

Mine was pre XR but I don't think it handles much difference. The Pint I tried once and it felt pretty squirrely but I think I am just used to mine is all.

its heavier than an electric skateboard but handles rough surfaces way better and can even offroad if you want.

NO RAGRETS!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: