Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Woo Hoo! Kiting Monday Morning!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat May 02, 20 3:19 pm    Woo Hoo! Kiting Monday Morning!!! Reply with quote

Got a HNL trip Sunday. I'm essential, always have been BTW. LOL. Since I'm essential, I'll be tested and no quarantine. Kiteboarding is officially allowed in Hawaii now. It will be windy Monday morning. Bite me!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Fuck yes!!!! You may have noticed, if you're paying close attention, that I'm excited.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun May 03, 20 9:25 am     Reply with quote

we are all counting on you!

i_am_legend_will_smith__1_.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Arb2me

Since 14 May 2019
28 Posts

PostSun May 03, 20 10:36 am     Reply with quote

Are the beaches open in Hawaii?

flightmac

Since 14 Nov 2017
69 Posts

PostSun May 03, 20 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

Water sports are allowed in HI right now

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun May 03, 20 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

Wahoooooo! I’m excited someone is kiting AND the water will be warm!.... lucky dog....

mrgrey

Since 15 Feb 2012
13 Posts

PostSun May 03, 20 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah buddy, that ain’t how it works here... show up on Maui, Oahu, etc with that entitled approach and don’t expect to be met with the aloha you may expect. Do your job and back to your accommodations. This is exactly what Hawai’i trying to prevent. Others already notified of your intentions.

Aloha.

E0690762-8FA7-4013-BF7D-2CBC03B5A1DB.png 

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostSun May 03, 20 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

Well as the old saying goes,"you must be really fun at parties"

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon May 04, 20 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

How quickly the thin veneer of civilization falls away. Crying or Very sad I saw the post above and a similar post on Facebook after I got back from the beach and went online to post my experience.

First off, despite the shaming here and on Facebook, I did more than just follow the rules. I don't know if Maui is different than Oahu or if the above attachment is taken out of context. (I believe in the same order shown, "essential activities" is defined as including exercise such as water sports.) Below, you can see the rules transportation workers are ordered to obey. This form is given to all aircrew arriving in HNL.

After I was given this form at arrival, I specifically asked if I was allowed to go kiteboarding. The Hawaii Government employee responded that she was sure I could, but suggested I talk to her supervisor. The supervisor told me that "Of course you can! Have fun." I then asked if I could could speak to the Law Enforcement representative there to verify that the Police were onboard with the idea. I spoke to an LE officer at arrival and was again told to have fun, maintain social distancing and not to loiter at the beach before or after kiteboarding.

After verifying that LE and the Health Dept were OK with my plan, I wanted to reach out to the locals where I planned on kiting. Just because I knew it was legal and safe, I still did not want to make anyone uncomfortable, scared or angry. I contacted some of the local kiters I know, who told me to "Come on down!" On arrival at the beach, I spoke to the local kiters who were there, explained the situation, and told them I'd leave if anyone was uncomfortable or unhappy with my presence. As I expected, or I would not have gone, I was treated to a healthy dose of Aloha.

I set up quickly, kited, and left the area as soon as I got in. (I launched and caught a couple of kites. It's always important to help each other out.) I'm sure my reception had something to do with the facts that I: am well known at the beach, am always helpful to those that need help, have rescued several in trouble there over the years. Aloha is a two way street.

I hold Hawai'i as sacred, and would never do anything to bring harm there, either mental or physical. I'm sorry that some took my drunken excited post meant to be shared with friends as an "entitled approach." Perhaps next time reach out with your concerns. I would have been happy to talk to you about your concerns if you had simply messaged me. I understand your fear, and if I could not have adequately responded to it, I would have skipped my session. As it was, I didn't even know of your post until after my session. I sometimes go weeks or months without checking social media.

I remember when I started kiting back in 2004 that one of the attractions to the sport was that no matter where you kited in the world, every other kiter at the beach was an instant friend. Back then, you never knew when you might need help. This created a camaraderie that was just as enjoyable as the sport itself. I hope that our current troubles don't destroy any vestige left of that feeling. Spread Aloha, not hate.

20200503_200043 (Custom).jpg 

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 04, 20 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

You handled that like a-now-rare-a-days gentlemen. You demonstrated more aloha then I’ve seen in a long time. We need more people like you NAK and a lot fewer mister tattle-tells.

Im glad you got a session!! Good for you!

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostTue May 05, 20 11:53 am     Reply with quote

Kiting has been allowed as an exercise activity on Maui since the lockdowns began, although it has been a tense situation with the park rangers, police, and lifeguards. The beaches were open but parks closed, creating confusion and differing policing efforts. Even tho allowed, it has been viewed skeptically (as essential) by some law enforcement and local residents; remember we are talking kiters in Hawaii, lowest of the low on the totem pole.

Tho you are essential Nak, and a obvious regular visitor to Hawaii, and a well respected guy in the community with kiter friends on the island, you are still a visitor, a tourist.
Most local residents view tourists with disdain already, start talking Coronavirus pandemic, kiter and tourist and you’ve tipped the scale. Get exuberant about it on a forum, shouting to the world, and....

You rubbed a local Hawaiian kiter the wrong way. It seems as tho he was just emphasizing the very sensitive nature of the kiting privilege that Hawaiian residents currently enjoy. Travelers are the big bugaboo on da island, tho one can view it as being a scapegoat, it is what it is...advertising your glee on the popular nw kite forum lit a fuse. Just understand where he was coming from, he was defending Hawaiian beach access much like NW kiters defend theirs, territorialism! And as you know, a kiting tourist does not hit the beach fresh off da plane hooting and hollering, especially in the current crisis!

You obviously crossed your t’s And dotted your i’s, were deemed essential and were within your rights to kite. I hope you had a great sesh and continue to enjoy Hawaii kiting! Just smile, remember you’re a visitor and practice Aloha!

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostWed May 06, 20 3:11 am     Reply with quote

Hawaii as we know it cannot exist without tourism. When all this is done (probably with a vaccine), Hawaii will embrace tourism again. Maybe some tourists will choose to go elsewhere.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed May 06, 20 8:07 am     Reply with quote

I agree with West. This should not have been a posted celebration on a kiting forum. We are sending the wrong message by posting our sessions on any forum right now. This will apply to the Gorge more than ever!!!! This community draws kiters from all over the world which increases our chance of infections. Even when things do open up here we need to practice STEALTH kiting and keep our unbridled joy to ourselves!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed May 06, 20 9:16 am    Re: Woo Hoo! Kiting Monday Morning!!! Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Got a HNL trip Sunday. I'm essential, always have been BTW. LOL. Since I'm essential, I'll be tested and no quarantine. Kiteboarding is officially allowed in Hawaii now. It will be windy Monday morning. Bite me!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Fuck yes!!!! You may have noticed, if you're paying close attention, that I'm excited.

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but self inflicted-wound so to speak, NAK.

I totally agree with West's and Moondog's words.

It is just like taking photos and talking about your secret spot; others will find out.

And booze and loose lips will come back to bite ("me") you every time.

Glad you scored a session in the azure waters of Hawaii, but next time just go and don't talk about it; to the public anyways.

And now some lyrics and music on the lesson at hand from one of the best Rock bands of all time...

LED ZePPelin!

Link

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed May 06, 20 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed May 06, 20 9:29 am     Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
I agree with West. This should not have been a posted celebration on a kiting forum. We are sending the wrong message by posting our sessions on any forum right now. This will apply to the Gorge more than ever!!!! This community draws kiters from all over the world which increases our chance of infections. Even when things do open up here we need to practice STEALTH kiting and keep our unbridled joy to ourselves!

I disagree. This is a kite forum after all. I haven't been kiting for months and there is no chance I will be kiting in Hawaii for a long time. But I enjoyed hearing Nak's excitement and tales of a hard-won session.

The important message here is that we should let the authorities be the authorities. Anxious locals, whether they are in Hawaii or elsewhere, should remember the best way to protect themselves is to simply stay home! And people like this should find better ways to manage their anxiety than pretending to be the social distancing police.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed May 06, 20 9:56 am     Reply with quote

I appreciate the support, but I am going to have to jump on the bandwagon as well. I agree with the critiques listed here on my post. Hawai'i has an issue with tourists disregarding the quarantine, and I have and do condemn those that break the quarantine. Though I followed all the rules, and went above and beyond that to insure I did no harm, I can see how my post could be taken by some as supporting and encouraging the actions of unethical visitors. I apologize for that. My only defense is that I still think of this forum as it used to be, a place where people who know me know when I'm joking and when I'm exaggerating just a bit, LOL. When people who know me read my OP, they see through it. When people who don't know me read it, they see something else entirely. Years ago, I knew everyone who read this forum. Now I need to remember that most who read a post here don't know me from Adam.

BCD131

Since 26 Mar 2013
31 Posts

PostThu May 07, 20 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Wow! Get over it people. Different states have different rules. He didn't do anything wrong. How many of you watched the WSL footage of pipeline this last month? Or Kai Lenny's page? Did you send them a complaint about sending the wrong message? I recommend you stay off your computers if your getting worked up about this stuff.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 12, 20 6:36 am     Reply with quote

Wow, a real hawaiian snitch! Gnarly doood.
Sounds like it might be mrgrey needs a little sand kicked in his face, maybe nobody has put him in his place since the lockdown.
Rock prisoners do write some loong rants when their coconuts get rattled...
No surprise considering their government treats them as if there was a pandemic or worse going on at all times with all the restrictions and BS they face.

Take a deep breath, stay sane, kite safely, don’t tell the snitches!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: