Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rock Creek, now locals (97040) only!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostThu Apr 23, 20 9:59 am     Reply with quote

Just happened in my area. The domino/locust effect. Hordes from NY came to seek open parks/beaches last weekend. It took 60 miles till they found an open beach, ours! They overtaxed the areas and treated them like garbage dumps. Now the beaches are either locals only or closed. Our best launch was closed, but it is what it is .

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 23, 20 10:46 am     Reply with quote

I appreciate the "peoples'/civil rights" issues brought up on this thread. They are valid, in my opinion.

That said, I think under the circumstances the "local only" option makes some sense viewed purely from the perspective of discouraging folks from traveling from point A to B. Isolation. Mosier is just not a big draw.

If, on the other hand, Mosier locals flaunt SD measures, I would be inclined to vote them off of that access island as well.

Will they effectively police themselves? Remains to be seen.

For now, I won't drive the 5 miles to RC.

Eric

Last edited by eric on Sun Apr 26, 20 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total

biffmalibu

Since 30 Jun 2011
38 Posts
Mosier, Oregon

PostThu Apr 23, 20 11:12 am     Reply with quote

New signs are going up soon, perhaps today. Sometimes it takes a while to get fancy new signage up. Looking at it positively, prior knowledge will save you time and money.

What could be enforced soon is parking. Because the gravel parking by the water treatment plant is city property.

Last edited by biffmalibu on Thu Apr 23, 20 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Apr 23, 20 1:11 pm    Re: Rock Creek, now locals (97040) only! Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
Rock Creek/Mosier is now for locals only (those living in the 97040 area code), by decree of the City of Mosier.

This locals only decree is a good thing; it's a very small beach, with traffic bottlenecks, and nonresident visitors obviously do not care enough to modify behavior via masks and spacing. There are old people and others who are at high risk for infection who live in Mosier. Respect the mayor, council, and residents of Mosier. Rock Creek is now locals only; you have to live in 97040 to utilize Rock Creek. Until further notice.

biffmalibu wrote:
Here's the edited sign. New signs are going up soon, perhaps today. Sometimes it takes a while to get fancy new signage up. Looking at it positively, prior knowledge will save you time and money.

What could be enforced soon is parking. Because the gravel parking by the water treatment plant is city property.

Biff, is this decree officially coming from Mayor Arlene Burns? Where can we access it for interpretation?

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 23, 20 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

Mosier - local only, I can understand that. I wish the state would open South Beach to locals only at this time.

The real question is did the City of Moiser use any other money to build the park besides their own. The strings that come with money / grants have there own rules.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 23, 20 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
New signs are going up soon, perhaps today. Sometimes it takes a while to get fancy new signage up. Looking at it positively, prior knowledge will save you time and money.

I didn't see the attachment. I guess I need to drive over to Mosier if I want to see the sign. Hmm should I bring my kite gear? Twisted Evil

Edit
*** I don't know why the quote I tried to quote says something different. Was attempting to quote something with regards to "here is a picture of the new signs"... Not sure what happened Technology can be funny! Anyway my cynical off the cuff statement statement still applies! ***

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostThu Apr 23, 20 4:09 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
Nak wrote:
@Dude abides, I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm thinking Matt V's post may have been sarcastic. I'm just guessing though. Wink

Mosier has now painted a stigma of "locals only" upon their town. This is not a water spicket you can simply turn on/off. People will remember.

The "few" local businesses in Mosier will suffer years from now for this little splurge of recreational enjoyment defined for "locals only".

Whether Matt V was being sarcastic or not is irrelevant. He definitely expressed his opinions as a "non-local". This will likely influence his decision down the road whether to spend his hard earned cash at places like MOCO.

I think this decision is short sighted and extremely detrimental to the long term sustainability of Mosier's local business community.

It is one thing when the beach locals act "local". But when an authoritative governmental entity does so the impact is far more reaching.

This is great decision from a great community. This is not the time to visit Mosier or Hood River. This isn't about whether locals can kite or not, this is about staying home and finding other things to do.

I am still getting out and about in my neighborhood, and wearing a mask when in proximity to anybody or indoors.

A lot of expert opinion here on a NOVEL/NEW coronavirus that science knows very little about.

Anybody else on here live through a pandemic yet? This is my first.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 23, 20 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
There's another fun little wrinkle to this story - land ownership. The City of Mosier does indeed own the land where the parking lot is. Much of the actual beach is Koberg State Recreation Area, though. State parks/rec areas are closed. The city of Mosier is effectively allowing/perhaps encouraging it's citizens to violate a state land closure.

I doubt the state will enforce this but I'd bet they wouldn't be too stoked on what Mosier is doing out there right now.

Once again... I'm learning from this site. Good catch Trent.

Kite launch is within Oregon Parks and Rec property, not City of Mosier.

RockCreek.png 

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 23, 20 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

ay wrote:
... from a great community. This is not the time to visit Mosier or Hood River. This isn't about whether locals can kite or not, this is about staying home and finding other things to do.

Taken out of context I agree with this statement.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Apr 23, 20 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

dude abides wrote:
Matt V wrote:
In the future, with more viruses coming out of China, there is no question that we will need to end tourism completely....

Seems like a pretty racist / elitist comment to assume viruses come from China.

I do not think that "China" is a race - here is your sign! Funny that there are still those out there racist enough to think that.

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Apr 23, 20 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

Biffmalibu, show us the birth certificate, uh wait. No, the tax returns! Show us the decree.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 23, 20 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

OK, but if you aren't from Camas/Washougal you better stay away from Rooster awesome Westerlies! These are mine! Wink And those others who are from southern Camas. Maybe Washougal, but they're a bit further from the river, so no. South Camas gets Rooster this Summer. Mine. Smile

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Apr 23, 20 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

Oh, and reed island and Lady island. mine. Vancouver, you can have Wintler this Summer. Woodland and Kelso, that's for Southwest Washington obviously. And Sauvie, well that's right across from SW WA, so Clark county is OK. Portland, Beaverton? No. too far. Mine.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostThu Apr 23, 20 7:13 pm    Re: Rock Creek, now locals (97040) only! Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:

There are old people and others who are at high risk for infection who live in Mosier.

Think of the deaths caused by traveling kitesurfers before this virus.

Flying on a plane to OBX could expose you to the seasonal flu, or you could expose others to the seasonal flu. This actually could mean that you are directly responsible for an older persons death either at your destination or back home. Just by traveling for your greedy kitesurfing needs, you could have killed someone.

Or what if you go to Mexico or somewhere in the South Pacific. How many people could you be exposing there, and what could you be bringing back with you, here. Tuberculosis and a host of other diseases exist outside of the United States to a degree that many u.s. citizens are exposed and infected every year.

Travel outside of your County should be prohibited even after covid virus is brought to some degree of control. No one should be okay with potentially killing someone by virus transmission. Stay home, stay local, and save every life you can. No more traveling for kitesurfing.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 23, 20 7:29 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
OK, but if you aren't from Camas/Washougal you better stay away from Rooster awesome Westerlies! These are mine! Wink And those others who are from southern Camas. Maybe Washougal, but they're a bit further from the river, so no. South Camas gets Rooster this Summer. Mine. Smile

NAK Can I visit for Rooster Easterlies? PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!!

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostThu Apr 23, 20 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:

Think of the deaths caused by traveling kitesurfers before this virus.

Flying on a plane to OBX could expose you to the seasonal flu, or you could expose others to the seasonal flu. This actually could mean that you are directly responsible for an older persons death either at your destination or back home. Just by traveling for your greedy kitesurfing needs, you could have killed someone.

Or what if you go to Mexico or somewhere in the South Pacific. How many people could you be exposing there, and what could you be bringing back with you, here. Tuberculosis and a host of other diseases exist outside of the United States to a degree that many u.s. citizens are exposed and infected every year.

Travel outside of your County should be prohibited even after covid virus is brought to some degree of control. No one should be okay with potentially killing someone by virus transmission. Stay home, stay local, and save every life you can. No more traveling for kitesurfing.

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) IS NOT the "seasonal" flu.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 23, 20 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

ay wrote:
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) IS NOT the "seasonal" flu.

No, but we will solve this some day. It's just gonna take a while.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: