Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ideas for reopening the Event Site.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 22, 20 6:45 am     Reply with quote

I just read that RC is now only open to folks with the Mosier zip code. I don't have a problem with that, even though my zip won't get me through the gate. I mention it because one would think that most of the folks going there are at least local'ish, yet due to "not practicing Social Distancing properly" RC got locked down.

This does note bode well for the Event Site, which will soon be under pressure from 10x more folks from 10x more zip codes. I am not convinced that kiters can police themselves, I am sorry to say. Might require some kind of strong arm/fine/"you're outta here" enforcement?

Eric

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 22, 20 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Great ideas everyone.

I have been in contact with CGW2 and with the Port.

CGW2 seems to be taking a passive wait and see approach - they're mostly focused on Swell City and don't seem to be involved with the ES.

My feedback from the Port:
1. Probably won't open until Governor lifts the Stay at Home initiative and local Health Department gives them a warm fuzzy
2. Concerned about Port staff being exposed and no PPE available (maintaining bathroom is #1 concern).

I'll send our group suggestion to the Port. They were very polite and welcome to our feedback and ideas.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 22, 20 10:54 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

2. Concerned about Port staff being exposed and no PPE available (maintaining bathroom is #1 concern).

I wonder if porta-potty companies are adhering to tighter cleaning regimens and could solve this issue? Contract it out.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 22, 20 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

CGW2 seems to be taking a passive wait and see approach - they're mostly focused on Swell City and don't seem to be involved with the ES.
feedback and ideas.

Being that Adam, Mike and I dissolved the CGKA and handed the reigns of responsibility and representation over to the CGW2, it sounds like Event Site users will need to communicate to the CGW2 how important it is for the kite community to maintain involvement in kite user access and safety guidelines at The Event Site.

The Event Site was a full time project for two of us every Spring season prepping with the Port coordinator/staff, reviewing guideline rules, launch zones cleaning and open/close timelines. Add to this the policing and community communications maintained throughout the season with and in support of the Event Site Hosts.

Big props to Laird for taking the reigns on this, but it should not sit on one person's shoulders and requires an organization with a broad communication band to do this job.

*I also agree with Eric's perspective on things. I feel like this year will have it's desperate and challenging moments at the Event Site without some direction and authority.

www.Purestokesports.com

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostWed Apr 22, 20 4:22 pm    agreed Reply with quote

Word! Pepi

Step up and contribute to the effort...everyone!

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostWed Apr 22, 20 4:26 pm    Bathrooms Reply with quote

Many people think that Port staff can manage entry by license plates and states and whatever.
How about every 16th person entering into the event site MUST clean the bathrooms...

Just an idea... Laughing Laughing Laughing

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 22, 20 4:50 pm    CGW2??? Reply with quote

I say CLOSE the bathrooms and OPEN the river...

Most of us don't have p zips in our dry suits anyway.

How do we BEST lobby CGW2? I know CGW2 needs our support but mystified to hear the Event Site is NOT a top priority?? - that must be a misunderstanding

Bart let us know what we can do to help

Mc

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 22, 20 5:03 pm     Reply with quote

Exact response from CGW2 - I read this to say - There's nothing we can do until the authorities decide it's safe.

In order to slow the spread of COVID19, The CGW2 is doing its best to comply with State, County, & Local restrictions on events, gatherings, and non-essential business operations. If options arise due to a relaxation of restrictions, or if they are lifted altogether, The CGW2 will be prepared to re-open Swell City and work with other authorities for the re-opening of their sites.

underwood

Since 26 May 2018
21 Posts

PostThu Apr 23, 20 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

Great topic and hope it happens soon.

Ideas;

Reduced parking spaces with every other space is vacant.
Bathrooms closed.
Launch/Land only from the sandbar.
4 or less people in a group, maintaining social distancing.

Fingers crossed....

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 23, 20 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

And remember to bring an extra 6 foot rope to properly socially distance rescue someone!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 23, 20 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

I've been refraining from posting on this post as I rarely kite at the ES. However I think this applies everywhere.

I think it is important to focus on choke points.

-Crossing of the river
-Walking along waterline of sandbar
-Entrance into the spit

Perhaps separate ingress and egress routes could be developed.

Also, knotwindys post above isn't without some merit. If you are rescuing somebody make sure they want to be rescued. What used to be standard kiteing comradery might now be considered dangerous interaction.

I think extra focus on communications before interactions is going to be important.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 23, 20 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

I think it's all a mute point - the sandbar is under water most of the month of May.
And when it returns it's usually only a sliver.

I need to contact the Port and remind them to factor this in their decision making - during the month of May we have no option but to launch from the grass.

kite this

Since 28 Jul 2005
20 Posts

PostFri Apr 24, 20 9:25 am     Reply with quote

Spoke with Port, they are offering no 'break' or money back on Esite passes if Covid keeps it shutdown for a month or 2. They say "We're talking". Granted no one can foresee what will happen here, but who would pay for a service that the provider may not provide or refund your money? The port is acting with the same insensitivity that they did with bridge tolls- they gave cash-payers a free ride while continuing to charge local Breezby passholders...until local outcry forced them to reconsider their approach.
Now, for people who wait to buy their pass until the situation clarifies, the Port will make more money on ($120 after 5/20). No one knows how this will pan out, why can't they show some flexibility?

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 24, 20 11:14 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
I think it's all a mute point - the sandbar is under water most of the month of May.

I need to contact the Port and remind them to factor this in their decision making - during the month of May we have no option but to launch from the grass.

If you are taking the lead for contacting the port I would recommend that you understand at minimum what they are going to have to prove before opening:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/politics/2020/04/20/coronavirus-gov-kate-brown-outlines-tentative-plan-reopening-oregon/5169242002/

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 24, 20 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
ldhr wrote:

If you are taking the lead for contacting the port I would recommend that you understand at minimum what they are going to have to prove before opening:

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/politics/2020/04/20/coronavirus-gov-kate-brown-outlines-tentative-plan-reopening-oregon/5169242002/

BJ -
I'm communicating with the Port - passing along ideas from a kiter's perspective. I'm not putting forth an opinion on whether they should open or not nor when.

Yeah, I consider anything to come out of the White House as total BS. It's not binding law.
If a village, town, city, county or state wants to shut-down or open-up..... Trump and the White House don't seem to care..... witness Georgia and the deep Red states.

Guidance from Kate Brown is a different matter. I think that will get the Port's attention.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 24, 20 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="ldhr"]
bigjohn wrote:
ldhr wrote:

I believe it is important to understand the requirements before you pitch a solution!!!

***Edited 4/24/2020 because I was attempting to make a point. However in attempting to do so I believe I was diminishing the attempts of others that are making efforts to improve our community***

Last edited by bigjohn on Fri Apr 24, 20 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostFri Apr 24, 20 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

This discussion is completely irrelevant until the OR stay at home is lifted.

Laird is clearly doing a better job than reading the BS here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: