Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Arrgh stir crazy we need a new system
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 14, 20 8:16 am     Reply with quote

Hug everyone you meet & let god sort it out?

Or maybe just tap pumps?

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 14, 20 11:34 am     Reply with quote

"What if non-locals had to pay an extra $1k per bid for a session. The $1k was distributed to the local businesses that are most impacted by this epidemic."

Localism is for douchebags. Hood River shouldn't become the next Santa Cruz.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 14, 20 12:16 pm    New Rules Reply with quote

Big John

Great thread for those of us who's yards are now ready for the Home & Garden photo shoots...all of us Smile

My .02 is we lobby for a portion of the next Gov't Stimulus Bill to create a much needed new job here in the Gorge - that of a happy crew of KITE VALETS. The KITE VALET would of course be paid a living wage of >$15 per hour and be stationed at the ES Sandbar and other popular sites along the river. All KITE VALETS must wear PPE gloves/mask and maintain a 26ft spacing from all water users, just in case. KITE VALETS are strictly assigned to LAUNCH & LAND and are not permitted to PUMP or PACK gear as per OSHA.

KITE VALETS will also meter access to launching/landing areas including taking TEMPERATURE CHECKS of all guests who are expected to move to and through designated areas in 15 minutes or less to maintain social distancing requirements.

Failure to abide the KITE VALET would result in loss of access and BIG FINES
>$1200

It's a WIN, WIN, WIN = Jobs, Access & Safety

PS - and Just until the we have a Vaccine in fall of 2021 no non-essential interstate travel, so NO AIR TRAVEL all planes grounded, no RAIL either, or bus. Who will hate this idea?

Mc

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostTue Apr 14, 20 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

shred_da_gorge wrote:

Maybe not Santa Cruz yet, but the Hood already contains elements of localism.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Apr 14, 20 1:38 pm    Re: New Rules Reply with quote

McLovin wrote:
Big John

Great thread for those of us who's yards are now ready for the Home & Garden photo shoots...all of us Smile

My .02 is we lobby for a portion of the next Gov't Stimulus Bill to create a much needed new job here in the Gorge - that of a happy crew of KITE VALETS. The KITE VALET would of course be paid a living wage of >$15 per hour and be stationed at the ES Sandbar and other popular sites along the river. All KITE VALETS must wear PPE gloves/mask and maintain a 26ft spacing from all water users, just in case. KITE VALETS are strictly assigned to LAUNCH & LAND and are not permitted to PUMP or PACK gear as per OSHA.

KITE VALETS will also meter access to launching/landing areas including taking TEMPERATURE CHECKS of all guests who are expected to move to and through designated areas in 15 minutes or less to maintain social distancing requirements.

>$1200

PS - and Just until the we have a Vaccine in fall of 2021 no non-essential interstate travel, so NO AIR TRAVEL all planes grounded, no RAIL either, or bus. Who will hate this idea?

Mc

I like this... Promotes safety, improves the economy. Allows me to kite!!!

Heck we could probably even start a pay to play fund. $20 per session at major sites ought to easily cover this on windy days...

However, These fees should only be until a vaccine has been developed... Long term solutions need to get back to some form of normalization.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 14, 20 2:10 pm    Re: New Rules Reply with quote

Add in an OLCC liquor permit for the Kite Valet to sell PBR Tallboys!!

McLovin wrote:

>$1200

Mc

www.Purestokesports.com

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostTue Apr 14, 20 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

MikeZ wrote:
shred_da_gorge wrote:

This is entirely about localism. STAY HOME

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 14, 20 9:09 pm     Reply with quote

I don’t get to help my aging parents go to Costco, visit my aging in laws in Portland, see either of my two sons in Bozeman or LA, visit my sister in Oakland go to the coast, ride my bike in Bend. The list goes on and on. Why? Because we all need to stay put, until we don’t.

It’s 100% about staying local. Stay local. That’s very different than “localism.”

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostWed Apr 15, 20 3:43 am     Reply with quote

Localism is the only way. I think restrictions, whether state or federal or even County enforced, should be put in place.

Ideally, you could only kite in your own County. This means no more going to the coast if you live in Portland, nor could you go to Hood River to kite. And if you don't actually live in Rufus, you should also not be able to kite there. This also means no Hawaii, no Baja, no OBX, no Caribbean, or anywhere else in the world besides your county of residence.

This is the only fair way, as non-locals are unwelcome anywhere. Tourism should shut down, and relocating to a place so that you can kite there should only be allowed after a strict application process and trial period.

These measures should be put in place and kept there even after the virus is no longer an issue, because all of us hate tourists.

Got to love how localism get so much support from those who actually travel to other locations to kite.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 15, 20 6:37 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:

Got to love how localism get so much support from those who actually travel to other locations to kite.

Jones Beach will be deserted. Does anyone live in that county?

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostWed Apr 15, 20 8:52 am     Reply with quote

The pun on "localism" is staying home, your backyard, or block. I can walk to the event site and am not kiting because it is the right thing to do. If people can chill for two more weeks we all will be better for it.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Apr 15, 20 9:32 am     Reply with quote

Happy to stay off the water, but then stay OFF the golf courses........

www.naishkites.com

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostWed Apr 15, 20 9:54 am     Reply with quote

I agree but don't make the rules and the sense of entitlement is required to play golf.

5cd59157021b4c02aa0dfdf5.jpeg 

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 15, 20 10:15 am     Reply with quote

I wish I was not seeing groups playing golf and talking in parking lots too. In my book, playing golf right now = -1

If I then choose to go do something that maybe I should not right now because “ other people are so I’m going to too” that = -1

Note that -1 + -1 = -2

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostWed Apr 15, 20 11:16 am     Reply with quote

ay wrote:
MikeZ wrote:
shred_da_gorge wrote:

This is entirely about localism. STAY HOME

Fair enough. On the other hand, we own properties in Washington, Clackamas, and Clatsop counties. I'm cool with being able to recreate in any of those.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I could kite at the coast without exposing anyone to any particular infection I might be carrying (regardless of whether I'm "local" or not). Similarly, I could hit the backcountry on Hood - same story.

Going to the mailbox, or the grocery store is way more hazardous.

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostWed Apr 15, 20 11:27 am     Reply with quote

Totally agree that while kiting, mountain biking, hiking/skinning the backcountry all can safely be done away from people, people are not doing it safely when everyone from everywhere does it too. (In addition of putting additional pressure on medical providers)

It isn't about keeping yourself safe, it is about keeping other safe. That is why everything is and should be shut down at least until the end of April, even if it is painful to look out the window at the river on this sunny/windy day.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Apr 15, 20 11:39 am     Reply with quote

MikeZ wrote:

...To be honest, I'm pretty sure I could kite at the coast without exposing anyone to any particular infection I might be carrying (regardless of whether I'm "local" or not)...

To be honest, I'm "pretty sure" I could kite anywhere without exposing anyone. After all, I have been self isolating as best as possible. I wear a mask / gloves when I go to the store. I spray any packaging that enters our house with disinfectant (where possible)... and yet I am choosing (very reluctantly and with much suffering) not to kite.

We have relatively good numbers in Oregon also, in Wasco and Hood River counties. It is highly unlikely I am a carrier.

Yet I have not had a test. I don't know for sure I am not an asymptomatic carrier. And I'm pretty sure that very few kiters on this forum have had a recent test and know for sure.

If I chose to kite where people could see me -> this would lead to others choosing to kite -> this would lead to higher infection rate

Additionally, once things are officially opened up (as it appears our leaders are working adamantly on) I wonder how the 3' rule applies to kiters.

I see biking studies that reflect 20 meter social distancing (or more) when biking is recommended due to the speeds you are traveling.

What does that look like when kiting in 40 mph winds. If the guy/gal 100 yards upwind of you breathes are you sucking in his/her virus?

This is new ground for all of us, but we've got to work out some new ground rules realizing that once the flood gates are opened everybody who has been itching to get out will be flooding to the water!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: