Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

GO Foil GL140 wing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Mar 16, 20 7:06 pm    GO Foil GL140 wing Reply with quote

I was looking for info on this wing for kite foiling. Anybody here use this for kiting?
How does it compare to the Nalu? I love the Nalu but want to go faster!
Too expensive to buy & try.....

Last edited by lineman on Thu Mar 19, 20 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thatspec

Since 17 Mar 2008
115 Posts
Ptucky
Stoked

PostTue Mar 17, 20 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

Sure, it will work. I have only experience kiting with the much larger M200 and Iwa but the smaller GL 140 should also be great for turning off the kite / pumping around and playing in the swells. This won't likely be faster than the Nalu or Kai, maybe the GL 100 is a little faster.

Wouldn't invest in something like this though unless your main goal is SUP / prone surf use and winging, with kiting as a side benefit.

There's a Kai for sale on Standupzone pretty inexpensively, would make a great kite wing.
Plenty fast enough;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJImqndhgY

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostWed Mar 18, 20 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

This is a helpful site for wing specs
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17xbTGEWSVeRhnYb_4vz_Gmby8UnrDys7Q1iB-6rC6F4/edit?fbclid=IwAR1GgMuvw0L6FKIuycKPk9kxe0wNXs4SNxJ1wk0VNxWis6u1cQETmbOsp8Q#gid=0

I expect the GL140 will be quite a bit faster than the Kai: higher aspect, lower profile. It is bigger than the Nalu, but also higher aspect, hard to tell.

I am DIY'ing an homage to the GL140, using plywood. Dead flat, not going to bother with curved wing tips for now. Should be done in a week, will report back after testing.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Mar 18, 20 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

[quote]I am DIY'ing an homage to the GL140, using plywood. Dead flat, not going to bother with curved wing tips for now. Should be done in a week, will report back after testing.

Sweet, post some pics if you can!

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostWed Mar 18, 20 9:12 pm     Reply with quote

bad photo, but you can get the gist of it. I'll be glassing 2nd side, then fill coat with some tint to make it look slightly prettier.

I have previously made kite foil wings from g10, similar to stringy, and they are simple and work great. So I am pretty confident these will work well too. Kite foils went from high aspect race to bigger slower carvey wings. Now surf foils are going from low aspect to kite race foils. It's full circle!

The most challenging part is molding the connection point to the GF fuselage. I also did a GL210 copy but it broke my heart, as I attached the connection maybe 1mm off and it is really noticable across a 3' wingspan. Doh.

gl140copy.JPG 

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Mar 19, 20 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

Beautiful, I was wondering how DIY guys made the foil attachment on the wing. Seems to be the hardest part to me.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostThu Mar 19, 20 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

I am in caveman mode compared to the carbon artists out there. But here's how I did it:

-- plug the holes in the fuselage with silly putty, butyl, or equivalent. Tape over whole thing with tuck tape (minimize overlap or seams). Coat with mold release wax.

-- cover with fibreglass cloth and epoxy. Create a lip at end, so you have something to hammer against to get it off. Once it is rock hard, make a plywood tool that fits against the lip (over the fuselage), so you can hammer it off.

-- fail miserably and panic that you have destroyed your gofoil. Get a dremel cutting tool, very gently and carefully saw through one side, being careful to not cut through the tuck tape. Remove the mold. Feel immense relief.

-- put more mold release wax on, place the cut open mold back on fuselage, clamp the side tight so the seam is invisible, then do another layer of fibreglass over just the cut part. Once hardened, run a thin knife in between tuck tape and fibrelass to release, then it should pop off.

-- add 10 or so more layers. Best with a vacuum, but if not, just do it in small strips overlapping a few at a time, done in several batches. Don't try to wrap a long strip 10 times around, you'll get hollow spots. If you do get hollows, either carve them out with the dremel and re-glass, or pour epoxy down to fill the gap after.

-- attach to the wing: put it on fuselage, then measure in all directions to be sure it's square and true as possible. This is the heartbreak step. Mess it up even slightly, your wing will be crooked and the whole project a write-off. (my first wing...fubar).

So yeah, compared to taking a belt sander to a hunk of plywood and carving out a decent shape in about an hour, the fuselage part kinda sucks. Smile

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Mar 26, 20 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

juandesooka, were you able to get out on that wing yet?

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostThu Mar 26, 20 5:32 pm     Reply with quote

lineman wrote:
juandesooka, were you able to get out on that wing yet?

Not yet. the covid-19 has made for some busy times at work, so haven't been able to put the finishing touches on. I just put another layer of fiberglass on the leading Edge now though, sand it down, then fill coat tomorrow should be ready to go. though it's also a little suspect how and where I may be able to use it in this lockdown quarantine self-isolation thing. Sigh. I suspect it may be a summer boat foiling experiment

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostSun Mar 29, 20 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

Fill/gloss coat, nearly ready for the water!

gl140.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  gl140.jpg
 Filesize:  406.12 KB
 Downloaded:  378 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Mar 31, 20 6:47 pm     Reply with quote

Holy cow! That looks like the real thing!
I hear you on the virus thing, on lockdown here as well. Crying or Very sad

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostWed Apr 01, 20 7:21 am     Reply with quote

Got a chance to give the mock-140 a go. It worked well overall.
No humming or singing, so it appears my second attempt is square/true.
Noticably less drag than Iwa/Kai, hard to say if I was going faster but definitely feels more slippery, with less resistance in the water.
Also really loose, scary at first, turning attempts led to big wipeouts. Going to take some time to dial-in. By session end I could make swooping turns pretty readily, but tight turns feel slidey.
Less lift than Iwa for sure and I think Kai too, if speed drops it will fall off foil ... but also seemed like it may pump better, was able to keep going in nothing waves (I am not yet a pump monkey, can pump on a wave, but no flat water pumping).

I sure would like to try a real 140 to know how it compares, especially if the turned down wingtips make it less skatey. Maybe that will be V3 project.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Apr 01, 20 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the review! After reading it Im left with the impression that its a speed wing with loose turns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: