Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New Ethics... KITE? Yes / No / Maybe
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 25, 20 12:30 pm    New Ethics... KITE? Yes / No / Maybe Reply with quote

To KITE or NOT to KITE that is the question...

So had been of the mind that getting out for a solo session would be ideal social d staying about 24m away from everyone - assuming you keep it chill and don't put any burden on others by getting hurt or needing assistance etc. etc.

Now with everything SHUT - is it taboo to KITE? What are the new rules? What if I can just walk to the water and launch? Is it asking too much of the social contract, to be out on the water with a beautiful KITE overhead, vs. taking a much needed hike or MTB ride assuming you are taking appropriate precautions to avoid the virus?

Happy to sit on the couch vs. storming the beaches for the good of the WE vs. the ME but thought it was a topic worth sampling the collective opinion. Much easier to take MARCH/April off than JUNE / JULY - imho lets hope it doesn't come to that.

What do you say?

Mc

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostWed Mar 25, 20 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

Kite yes, I think it is a good activity whereby social distancing is required in order to prevent collisions and crossed lines. Just use the 6' rule when launching and landing where people are present. If a kite beach is looking crowded, then might want to consider looking elsewhere. Once out on the water everyone naturally spreads out as it is part of what considerate and ethical kiters do.

Following the guides lines set by the governor and other local county commissioners, it is best not to be traveling outside of your own community for any recreation/kiting until this virus is on the down swing.

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Mar 25, 20 3:29 pm    To kite or not Reply with quote

I had a couple real nice solo sessions 2 days ago. Wasn’t breaking any laws and wasn’t around anyone. If you can get out go for it!

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 25, 20 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

I’d say “yes” if you can solo launch and land. Can you park such that there is 15 ft to the next car? Can you prepare and take down in such a way that you appear to be solo in every way. Can you not hang out pre and post session? To me the big important issues are:

1. Is one attracting a herd?
2. Does one behave in a solo way in every aspect of the activity?
3. Are you doing something that might put yourself in the hospital, thereby using up resources that may be scare for others?

Some of these are more easily under our own control than others. I think we need to take it very seriously, then use very sound judgement. I think we also need to recognize if 10 of us are using great judgement at the same time in the same place we become a de facto herd.

Windian said all of this more succinctly than I:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-47886.html

Interesting information here:

http://www.91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Think Solo

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 25, 20 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

I have a different opinion.....NO!
We have one chance to get this right - to stop the virus from spreading.
Don't be the guy who has an issue and causes contact with others.
So many things can go wrong in a kite session or driving 5 miles to the beach.
I kite over 100 days a year, almost always self-launch and self-land, and have not had a kitemare in years.... but there's no way I would go kiting now..... especially since all the Gorge launches are closed.
There's a lot of kiters asking themselves this question.... IMO - if they see kites on the water they may think - If he can go, I'm gonna go.
Please - stay home until we get the all clear.
We have one shot at stopping the spread.

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 25, 20 6:38 pm     Reply with quote

It’s really going to depend on the wind Cool

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostWed Mar 25, 20 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with ldhr,
We collectively have one and only one chance to get it right.
Anything can happen to any kiter at any time it does not matter how good or how long you have been kiting, SHIT HAPPENS! It sure would suck to get injured and have to go to a hospital that is over flowing with COVID-19 patients.
I have witnessed several SOLO kiters in the last few days and it certainly made me get my gear ready to go. I have contemplated going out for a session myself but am willing to sacrifice early spring conditions for the warmth of summer.
Dont be that guy........"Im not going to let Coronavirus keep me from partying"

Oh and another thing.......please do not travel to another community (i.e. The Gorge) during the STAY AT HOME ORDER. I find it very insulting to be inundated with other people outside of our small community and defenetly do not want or need any help spreading Coroniavirus. Thank you

Mc Loven you are always welcome at my home beach once the storm has passed. Thanks for asking.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Mar 25, 20 7:21 pm    not right now. Reply with quote

I agree with what ldhr and Twin Fin say. NO/not right now.

windfun7

Since 23 Aug 2015
40 Posts

PostWed Mar 25, 20 8:55 pm     Reply with quote

Could be less risky than riding in a trimet bus or max train
Last edited by windfun7 on Wed Mar 25, 20 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 25, 20 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

I am reluctantly putting forth my opinion on this subject.

I think the prudent thing is to just say no.

I do recognize that anyone who is considering kiting this time of year is self sufficient. In fact I would argue that any kiter going out this time of year expects and plans to self launch/ land as a baseline plan.

However, in this case perception may bring forth more weight than reality.

Simply stated, the fact that people are kiting will lead to the opinion that those kiters are not considering the seriousness of this pandemic.

Politics aside, if we all can simply stay home and follow the basic rules of social distancing we will beat this thing. If not we will have a real issue on our hands.

The visual impact of kiters enjoying the moment and ripping it on the water detracts from this message.

Simply put, stay home. Let's beat this thing, then let's all have a great kiting summer.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 25, 20 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

“ The visual impact of kiters enjoying the moment and ripping it on the water detracts from this message.”

Can’t argue with that. Well said.

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Mar 25, 20 9:54 pm    Curious Reply with quote

eric wrote:
^^^

“ The visual impact of kiters enjoying the moment and ripping it on the water detracts from this message.”

Couldn't you make the same case for socially distant mountain bikers appearing to carve up turns, enjoying their climb? Or a socially distant paddle boarder appearing to have fun ripping up current in the Columbia? I'm confused, why is a kite in it's own class of enjoyment level that detracts from the message but not any other outdoor hobby?

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 25, 20 10:44 pm    Good points Reply with quote

So---> a.benjamin76. The relationship to hiking or MTB exists but the reality is that KITING is so much cooler than either of those land based activities.

Further, we as a small community have to be at least loosely on the same page to protect the image of the sport and continue to advocate for our own river / ocean / lake access which is NOT universal.

There was an active discussion on the NW Kiteboarders forum up in Seattle area: https://www.facebook.com/groups/608389315944697/permalink/2839238882859718/

***Persuasive comment by the ER doc spending all his time treating Covid-19 patients wishing he could get out for a stress relief session, but opting OUT as per all the above.

Guess my intuition was correct in not feeling quite right about the idea - lucky to have the health and urge to fly - not too much to ask to lock it down for a bit... Let's hope these are the extent of my worries.

Thanks for your thoughts...now back to the family board game 2020 Olympics!

Stay Safe & Healthy

Mc

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 25, 20 11:46 pm    Re: Curious Reply with quote

a.benjamin76 wrote:
eric wrote:
^^^

Couldn't you make the same case for socially distant mountain bikers appearing to carve up turns, enjoying their climb? Or a socially distant paddle boarder appearing to have fun ripping up current in the Columbia? I'm confused, why is a kite in it's own class of enjoyment level that detracts from the message but not any other outdoor hobby?

My point isn't that it is unsafe to kite, bike, hike, or (insert activity here). Rather that the perception of others will be negative.

Some (perhaps many) will consider enjoying the moment in a period of crisis as insincere at best.

Recognizing that we are in a pandemic situation is the key to overcoming it. Doesn't mean we are weak, rather that we are aware of our surroundings.

Suck it up butter cup. Hope to see you on the water this summer after we have put all this behind us!!!

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostThu Mar 26, 20 2:54 am     Reply with quote

There will be differing opinions on what is right and wrong (ethics) and then there is REALITY. You simply cannot and should not expect millions of healthy, active people to stay at home for any prolonged length of time. People will go out and people will congregate. And the longer this goes on the more this will happen. Government policies need to keep this reality in mind and start allowing reasonable (even though it is not 100% safe) alternatives to sheltering at home.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Mar 26, 20 6:45 am     Reply with quote

First, this will not go away. We need the social distancing to simply slow the spread and not overwhelm the medical system. It is not the time to kite or do anything non-essential until widespread testing is available to strategically isolate the infected. In my opinion, I think the combination of social distancing and ramped up testing will take 4-6 weeks before things will open up for activities like kiteboarding. Eventually...some herd immunity and/or vaccines will lesson the impact of ongoing future infections.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we will get a handle on this before prime kiting season.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 26, 20 6:47 am     Reply with quote

As a point of reference I did a “stealth kite” session yesterday and basically felt guilty the whole time. There was no joy.

I’m taking a break

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: