Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

upgrading from beginer foil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
russiandangle

Since 28 Jun 2019
21 Posts
Park City, Ut

PostFri Sep 06, 19 10:29 am    upgrading from beginer foil Reply with quote

Well, I got a double agent and after a few days im riding some what decently and starting to mess around with gybing without foot switches yet. I have 2 months to step my game up before Los barriles and I am already looking at different foils (being a gear whore and all) for those of you who have tried many different foils and brands this question for you. Can you really go wrong with buying any of the new low aspect foils if your focus i more on the surfy stable feel, are there foils that you would absolutely stay away from? I have seen many lifts, ss, and stringy foils for sale, but Cabrinha and naish dont seem as popular. Are they just not as heavily marketed in the gorge, and are more popular in other parts of the country, or are they legit not as good of products for any reason. I have been looking at the new hi rise lift and varial as the next step if I get enough hours on my current 2016 dbl agent.

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostFri Sep 06, 19 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

If you get a chance to try before you buy do it.

If not then opinions are gonna be all over the place as to what suits you for what you want to achieve.

For me I'm seeing everything changing to short masts and fat wings I'm the complete opposite I want long and fast as fast can be.

I think as far as brand to brand there are lots of copies and rush to market similar shapes and sizes as to why what you are seeing as less popular is less market share as its not the first to market top tier with 20 different wing combos and fuseys and masts. the smaller brand shares have a more limited offering. The Original LF, double agent and original naish were literally identical copies of each other.

after running through at least 4 foils now my quest is carbon carbon carbon. you could even do aluminum every thing but the wings but carbon is a pure joy to deal with especially if you like to boost to the moon. less swing weight easier carrying but fragile very fragile against objects.

Its a changing environment like every 3 months anything you buy is obsolete and most everything is a package deal meaning u break it or want to change parts, some brands might change things up a bit and be incompatible with last months models.

I know that some of the more durable glass wings in the fat and lifty category are more prone to delam then the carbon counterparts however the price is quite a bit higher. Alot of the big wings are thin sheets of glass lamed over styrofoam and have seen first hand a few delams

at the end of the day take your pick of foil and have fun if you get the chance to try different setups dont blink do it and see whats out there. My opinion is once you get to the carbon level your there and will probably stay there for years to come.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Sep 06, 19 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

Moses.
www.Purestokesports.com

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostFri Sep 06, 19 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Moses.

yes moses onda with the 111 lowest 101 none of that 91 stuff Very Happy

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostFri Sep 06, 19 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

Check out the Armstrong Foils. We have been riding the 1200 wing and 3-11 board behind our boat. I am learning to kite foil with a Stringy foil but hope to get on the Armstrong soon. Practice behind the boat has provided great experience.

wake foiling behind our boat: https://youtu.be/jUQ_3DKVH7U

All the best,
Hein

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostSat Sep 07, 19 1:17 am     Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with Lift, Armstrong or MFC

Obakarama

Since 29 Jun 2019
47 Posts

PostSat Sep 07, 19 7:47 am    Stringy, Stringy. Stringy. Reply with quote

All you need is Stringy.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 23, 19 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

I got my intro to foiling via hoverglide but it was immediately apparent to me it makes a better boat anchor than foil, once you get past the first dozen sessions. I think it’s 4-5kg,+ and would hold a 25 footer in a gale.
So I bought a zeeko with a biggish wing, at least it was lighter at 3.8 but it had 11 screws and needed frequent lube and cleaning.

Since that didnt result in magic air jibes and instant 360s, I moved up to a carbon ketos with 1200 wing. One screw mast to fuse, one screw mast to board. 2.47 kg. So easy to set up, easy to waterstart etc.
My whole rig is 30% lighter than my old one (which was 30% < hoverglide/alien air) even with a big 145cm 3kg convertible diy board.
Doesn’t really hurt when it hits me in crashes. Way fewer bruises.
Great wing, smooth and silent, love it.
Still hasnt made my skills better, that takes work.
Over the weekend i helped a friend set up a new armstrong with 1200 wing, he took to it right away and the build quality is great. We tried the 2400 sup wing too behind a ski and with kite - total fiasco. Needs a sup, and skills.
The 1200 and smaller seem awesome tho on a first impression basis.

Anyway, carbon is definitely worth it. Lightness is happiness.
Preferably without a dozen screws, imho.

russiandangle

Since 28 Jun 2019
21 Posts
Park City, Ut

PostTue Sep 24, 19 7:00 am     Reply with quote

Ive been getting a better hang of the cab double agent and it is becoming more and more fun and playful. Armstrong and Zeeko foils look amazing but look so ungodly expensive. I am still not as aware on the water as I would like to be where i hit the foil on the bottom at least once or twice a session.
I am also surprised there is very little to no chatter about cab foils. My whole setup(2016 dbl agnt) is super light and besides whistling feels good for beginner set. Any reason no one talks about cabs or are they just so down the middle of the road thats its not worth addressing?

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostTue Sep 24, 19 8:47 am     Reply with quote

Buddy had a double agent, he was pretty stoked with it, easy for learning and decent mid range cruiser.

I started on a carafino, moved to stringy, and still on it. At the time, it was considered low end compared to the standard racing foils ... slower but stable and carvey. Now all my friends have switched to big surf wings, so they can ride with tiny kites, and the stringy seems like a race foil in comparison.

Bottom line IMHO: pretty much anything works, from the cheapest LF fun foil and up from there. Seems to me people get way too crazy about the specs for high end models. I would love a super light carbon rocket ship, but I haven't witnessed enough of a performance advantage to make it worthwhile. As well, gear gets beat to crap where we kite, so durability is valued -- and frankly, it's nice to not get too stressed if (when) it gets scratched or dinged.

Vive la mid range!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 24, 19 9:16 am     Reply with quote

bwd wrote:

Over the weekend i helped a friend set up a new armstrong with 1200 wing, he took to it right away and the build quality is great. We tried the 2400 sup wing too behind a ski and with kite - total fiasco. Needs a sup, and skills.

Tried this too. A friend wants to get into both SUP foil and Kite foil so he purchased the Large Naish Thrust foil thinking he'd have both thrills (noobie). I guess it must be more for SUP than for kite because of this:
I offered to help him out with standard first day kite-foil training day. This is when I (been foiling 4 years) chase the student downwind, then I hand over his comfy surf board and I foil upwind so we can trade back and repeat.
OK, those huge SUP wings suck bad for kite foiling. I didn't have a GPS on but I would be really surprised if I ever broke 8mph forward speed. It felt like I was dragging a sea anchor.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostTue Sep 24, 19 9:30 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:

Tried this too. A friend wants to get into both SUP foil and Kite foil so he purchased the Large Naish Thrust foil thinking he'd have both thrills (noobie). I guess it must be more for SUP than for kite because of this:
I offered to help him out with standard first day kite-foil training day. This is when I (been foiling 4 years) chase the student downwind, then I hand over his comfy surf board and I foil upwind so we can trade back and repeat.
OK, those huge SUP wings suck bad for kite foiling. I didn't have a GPS on but I would be really surprised if I ever broke 8mph forward speed. It felt like I was dragging a sea anchor.

Requires a different riding style. Go slower, turn off the kite entirely, ride the waves without any wind power. Pump the foil like you would surfing it.

Not really my cup of tea either, I like to zip around more powered, but half my foiling friends locally have turned to this.

For a beginner, I think it has pros and cons. Water starting is more challenging, because you get up on foil too quickly, barely even start and it jumps out of the water. But once up, it allows a lot of easy control: you can stay on foil at a dead stop, pivot turn, keep going the other direction, without losing lift. This comes at the cost of excessive wing breaches and spectacular wipeouts, if you are anything other than really really underpowered kite-wise.

martyman

Since 29 Dec 2013
76 Posts

PostThu Sep 26, 19 4:01 pm    Fools Reply with quote

Agreeing with Juan de sooka. Full carbon setups are nice but dont look at itvorvitvwill scratch lol. Seriously though, we have challenging rocky Juan device conditions and then stress of having a full carbon setup ready to explode is too much of a reality f me.
G10, aluminum, mixer schedule glass...all good.

Not agreeing with juan de sooka,-small kite larger foil is best-just.ask me! Lol

Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostSat Nov 23, 19 10:24 pm    Might need to try this Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/28ExbCt02bw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: