Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SHORTER REACH BAR FOR WOMEN?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Flowtom

Since 10 Apr 2006
247 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 20, 19 6:24 am    SHORTER REACH BAR FOR WOMEN? Reply with quote

HEY! I have a slingshot chopstick bar. Wondering if I can modify it for a shorter reach for girlfriend. It has the smallest chicken loop they make. Still to far from bar. ? I have replaced the rope on these bars in the past so I'm familiar with stopper ball. If I move it down the rope will I kill the performance of the sheet out aspect of kite? Thanks Tom

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostTue Aug 20, 19 6:48 am     Reply with quote

Which kite is she flying? Changing the throw on the bar obviously affects the de-power ability of the kite....most kites have a long throw to give the kite’s a better range. Your girlfriend may need to look at different kites that are designed to be ridden with a shorter throw. There’s also the closer to the body harness issue, slider ropes, that could help to some degree.

If you are trying to make your gear work for your girlfriend, consider getting the proper gear for “her”...she will most likely progress faster with a more enjoyable experience. Good luck, and keep in mind safety factors when making any throw adjustments to bars...

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 20, 19 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Seat harness makes the most difference since they keep the hook really low. My Dakine Chameleon is a waist harness with removable leg straps that keeps the hook low. One of the cheapest harnesses too.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 20, 19 7:13 am    Shorter reach bar Reply with quote

Start by checking to see that the lines are all even in the full power position of the bar: lay the lines out, anchor the ends (a screwdriver works), and make sure it all pulls out even.

If that is right, incrementally either lengthen the outside lines via longer connection points on the kite, or shorten the center lines via the connection point on the kite. This will move the depower spot closer so the reach is not so long.

She should be able to get to the depower spot without bending over. Another option is the harness - seat harnesses are lower and don't ride up - so the length from the hook ends up longer than on a waist harness. I like the shorts.

Once you have that figured out - you can see if you need to bring the depower cleat on the bar closer to her so she can reach it. This also creates more depower ability for the kite.

I have had the same issues for my wife - good luck!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 20, 19 7:20 am    SS Guardian Compstick ? Reply with quote

My wife is pretty small and uses the Guardian Comptick, small chicken loop and has figured out the below the bar trim line . It may take some time but I don't see it getting any closer than that.

2019_SS_guardian_bar_x700.jpg 

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Aug 20, 19 8:38 am    women's bar Reply with quote

my wife rides the slingshot setup that Jon is showing, and a waist harness (although i agree a seat harness would give her more throw)

has worked for her for years.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 20, 19 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

I have a DaKine Storm seat harness with the articulating spreader bar lying around. If you're in the Hood River area and want to try it out to see if that helps then feel free to PM me.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 20, 19 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

Another factor - when she attaches the lines to the kite - she should always attach the outside lines on the wingtip to the first knot (furthest from the kite). This will make the bar closer to her body.
Before you mess with the rigging - maybe figure out a way to extend the depower loop a few inches so it's closer to her reach. it should be easy to tie something on to extend it.

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostTue Aug 20, 19 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

assuming this is a sentinel SS bar, if the cleat is farther than she can reach with the bar, move it closer. IMO, as long as it is just far enough such that she doesn't hit it with the bar, it only helps having it closer.

yes to seat/shorts harness. if it is a sentinel, think about going talon + mystic stealth bar too (stealth bar to use the either the inner or outer rope). talon is shortest loop you are going to find. I don't recommend talon with guardian and shorts/seat because it is almost impossible to work the depower from that position.

that cleat position will change with harness/loop.

if you are going to spend some money, OR stick shift or duotone click bar. Never used one, but want to demo one.

if you are a gear modder type. I put a depower type bungie onto the handle of my ATB depower line. run that through the bar, then attached to the chicken loop. she can always grab that and pull on it to either depower, or get to the actual handle that is probably blowing in the wind out of reach.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 20, 19 8:09 pm     Reply with quote

Is the problem she can’t reach the bar if she lets go or she can’t reach to depower? If it just the bar, you can simply grab the center lines and pull the bar back closer to you. If it’s just a bit out of reach you can just push the center lines with your palm and the bar will return to within reach. If it is to depower(yes, I know trim the kite) it only needs to be as far away as she can reach regardless of the kite design. BTB or move the cleat or pull the moveable stopper and a lower hook(seat/shorts harness) as mentioned above.

Flowtom

Since 10 Apr 2006
247 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Aug 21, 19 6:43 am    THANKS Reply with quote

Looks like a seat harness is the first step. Its a compstick SS bar. So the depower is not an issue. shes on 2012 SS rallye quiver. I will try to trim the kite also. Thanks for the info.

teabagger

Since 15 Jun 2012
68 Posts

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 24, 19 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

I have T-Rex arms even for a woman and the Slingshot small chicken loop made a world of difference. I didn't need to swap harnesses or do any other mods and it felt great.

ZMar

Since 13 May 2018
24 Posts

PostSat Aug 24, 19 4:35 pm     Reply with quote

It might make dbpower a bit of an issue but if you switch to the slingshot sentinel compstick then you can use the talon instead of the small chicken loop and that should bring the whole system about three to four inches closer in.

fatstixs

Since 02 Aug 2007
55 Posts
The Gorge

PostSat Aug 24, 19 10:58 pm     Reply with quote

I have shorter arms and swapped to a Slingshot Talon connection and slider rope.
It's way easier on my arms for longer sessions. And with the max de-power for my shorter reach.

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostMon Aug 26, 19 1:10 pm    Re: SHORTER REACH BAR FOR WOMEN? Reply with quote

Flowtom wrote:
HEY! I have a slingshot chopstick bar.

If you have the Guardian version, I believe you can get the Sentinel replacement/conversion kit and switch it over instead of buying a whole new control bar...
https://www.slingshotsports.com/Sentinel-system-replacement_2

If the bar you have is the Sentinel version, just adjust the bar throw via the clam-cleat to accommodate her reach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoZ8tuL_6Hg

Like mentioned, combining their Talon loop and a rope slider s-bar will also make a big difference if she wants to use a waist harness. If she doesn't want the sliding action and if her harness is compatible, check out the Stealth Surf s-bar that has a small loop for a non-sliding ride option...
https://www.mysticboarding.com/products/kite/accessoires/bags-more/technical-accessories/stealth-surf-spreaderbar#000000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: